• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy vs Radio Shack for an EVO Pre-Order...

I'm prob just buy a pair of extra earphones. Since the incredible or the EVO don't come with squat...

Ah, okay. Just checking. I actually only go to Radio Shack, in a pinch, for an adaptor or some other kind of electrical connector, so wasn't sure what else they'd have that I'd ever want to buy.

Do they actually carry other quality electronics in that store now?

Upvote 0
you heard it here first, then. it's called "change."

[i'm not being remotely as much of an ass as that sounded above; i'm just playin']

Well, from my experiences with gift cards, once the money is on that gift card you don't get a choice of converting that gift card into actual cash. At least, the sales people have never let me do it. Maybe I'm just asking the wrong people...LOL.

Upvote 0
Well, from my experiences with gift cards, once the money is on that gift card you don't get a choice of converting that gift card into actual cash. At least, the sales people have never let me do it. Maybe I'm just asking the wrong people...LOL.

looks like it varies by state. just read that here (Mass), they have to give you change if you've used the majority of the card. however, i know for a fact that i've purchased a miniscule item and got the rest in change.

either way, like i said, there's stuff i currently need and can buy at RS. i actually get compensated from work for things like batteries, so...win/win for me.

Upvote 0
Whether you buy at Best Buy or Radio Shack, you'll still be covered at Sprint. I upgraded my mogul to the Touch Pro a couple years back and Sprint still covered my phone 100% (got 4 different replacements since my first purchase of the Touch Pro). I never really had to use the "total equipment protection" (7 dollar insurance), but I had it and wouldn't have had any problems if my phone had bricked and needed to use it.

So, after that long explanation, yes you can still be covered under the same protection even if you buy from BB or RS.

Did you have to go to the sprint store to get replaced or did you have to go to best buy?

Upvote 0
looks like it varies by state. just read that here (Mass), they have to give you change if you've used the majority of the card. however, i know for a fact that i've purchased a miniscule item and got the rest in change.

either way, like i said, there's stuff i currently need and can buy at RS. i actually get compensated from work for things like batteries, so...win/win for me.

Damn, that's cool. I guess Cali folks get the short end of the stick because I've asked for cash change on gift cards before and they just looked at me like I was crazy...hahahaha.

Upvote 0
Did you have to go to the sprint store to get replaced or did you have to go to best buy?

Nope. All of my replacement Touch Pro's were done over the phone. They didn't even mention having to use my TEP (Total Equipment Protection).

Main reason I keep TEP is because it covers lost/stolen phone, which BB insurance doesn't cover.

Upvote 0
I based it off the fact that radio shack is closer to my job and i think i wont have to worry about a long line on my lunch hour or something like that...i didnt even know about the 20$ worth of free accessories tho..gonna call the store and find out on that.

I had no issue with best buy..didn't buy insurance thru them as i already have insurance thru sprint that i pay for monthly. 7$ or something..had a issue with my last phone..took it to a sprint repair shop and they ordered me a new one...so i guess it just comes down to ur situation..im going to go to the shack this time tho.

Upvote 0
Ah, okay. Just checking. I actually only go to Radio Shack, in a pinch, for an adaptor or some other kind of electrical connector, so wasn't sure what else they'd have that I'd ever want to buy.

Do they actually carry other quality electronics in that store now?

Yes...I was looking around the store cause I was told that it's non refundable at the shack. However it is refundable at best buy. Either way I'm not stressing it. Whoever calls me first is where I'm headed. So if its bb that calls me i'll just grab it there and get some headphones at the shack. And vice versa I'll just get the refund from bb. Either way I want that EVO on the 4th...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones