• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Custom ROM is non-existent

flex_droid

May 16, 2010
Throughout this weekend, I have installed about four custom ROMs. As some people have noted, they are all good in their own right. Please note that I might not be as good of a source since I did not keep the ROMs install long enough for me to give a comprehensive overview.

For my taste, I kept Smoked Glass (Adamz). But even within this ROM there are different versions that differ. Right now I am running 6.0.1. It is awesome... the installation scrips allows u to customize your installation to your heart's desire. I will not list all the features as they are many, just Google it (overclocking, Android 2.1, Helix Launcher, etc).

Even though I am happy with Smoked Glass v6.x, my favorite has been Smoked Glass v4:5. To compensate for things such as overclocking (packaged in v6.x), I purchased "SetCPU for Root Users" This version (v4.5) also comes with Launcher2 which gives a better user experience. So this goes to show that even ROM versions are hard to decide on let alone ROM providers (Smoked Glass vs SholesMod vs UltimateDroid vs etc).

As for the "Best Custom ROM" I think it is still not yet out! And will never come out. These guys providing these ROMs are good, their release cycles are amazing. They will continue to innovate and as such, we will always be awed by the ROMs.

BTW, those of you looking for video tutorials on rooting, flashing and custom ROMs go to YouTube and find DroidReview (username) he is awesome. Thanks to this guy I have come to know a lot. He even put together a video for unrooting the phone and bring it back to the stock ROM.

Well, I started this thread with the hopes that people will keep updating it with the last ROM they have install and their recommendations.

Which is your favorite custom ROM and why?

I myself have moved between several different ROMs over the last month, so I can't really argue your point....

I would say that you really have to use a particular ROM over several days to let it "settle in"....I've found whether it's been on my Droid or when I had a BB Storm, a ROM will usually run a little different after having been in place for a few days....

it has been a little difficult finding a happy medium between speed, battery usage, and high temps....

Reactions: flex_droid
Upvote 0
I would agree with the fact that the ROM needs to settle. I was using UD 10 and after a day of so it really slowed and I got multiple forced closes.
This happened to me after running SG 6.0.1; just yesterday by the end of the day I started to note a performance lag. The battery life and user experience was superb. However, AJAX suggestions while using the search was very slow. The same was true for typing status updates on FB and or writing emails.

I have downloaded NetBeastv1.0 which seems to be a customized Bugless Beastv1.0. I will report back in about a day to let you all know how it went.

All it takes is one special feature to make a ROM the "best" for me and maybe something entirely different to make it the "best" for someone else.

That is absolutely true. I fell in love with SG 4.0 only because I liked the 2.1 Launcher Glass Theme; only that little detail had me wanting to go back to it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones