• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Kernel to run with Virtuous Rom?

I wouldn't say MUCH easier, because the problem with ROM manager, as far as I can tell, is you can only install 1 thing at a time. So when I only have to install 1 thing, it's definitely more efficient because you just select the file from SD, and it automatically boots in to Clockwork, does the install, and reboots the system in 1 shot.

When having to install multiple things, I just usually go in to Clockwork manually and install them at once, and reboot at once. Then I don't have to continually install, wait for reboot, install, wait for reboot, etc.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't say MUCH easier, because the problem with ROM manager, as far as I can tell, is you can only install 1 thing at a time. So when I only have to install 1 thing, it's definitely more efficient because you just select the file from SD, and it automatically boots in to Clockwork, does the install, and reboots the system in 1 shot.

When having to install multiple things, I just usually go in to Clockwork manually and install them at once, and reboot at once. Then I don't have to continually install, wait for reboot, install, wait for reboot, etc.

Very true. That would be a neat feature for the dev to include in Rom Manager. Maybe we should suggest it. Another thing would be an option to have it automatically clear only the dalvik cache immediately before installing things sometimes. Then again, it is really not that big a deal to do all this manually from clockwork.

Upvote 0
I'm running Virtuous 2.7 and I'm having an issue with the Adrynalyne custom kernal V2. I have the setcpu widget and it now has the cpu downclocked to 528mhz and I can't bump it up at all. I don't have any profiles or anything set up. When I reboot it goes back up to the default mhz. Anyone have any idea of whats going on? After some time the cpu downclocks.

CAP201009161410.jpg

CAP201009161411.jpg

Upvote 0
If I buy rom manager and download BFS #4 can I use that on stock rooted 2.2?

i've been running bfs #4 on stock rooted 2.2 for about a week now. loaded the kernel through clockwork. it's working good for the most part and i've been keeping it mostly at stock speeds. however, i have noticed an occasional lag here and there (that i didn't noticed with the stock kernel) but no reboots or lock ups. i'm going to disable setcpu to see if that has any impact.

but yeah, rom manager isn't required since you can just use clockwork to load new roms or kernels.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
+1

Also, if you run into problems w/ Chad's incredikernel, I'd also suggest Lou's #4 or #6 kernel: [Kernel] UPDATE: Dec 19 HeyItsLou-2.6.32.17-Cifs-Tun-Ext4-WN-3-10 Multi-Touch #6 - xda-developers

From what I've seen, both kernels are similar in performance and features, but different phones seem to play nice with one over the other due to subtle hardware differences.

When I tried Lou #4 I had speed and crashing issues... But, that might have been my fault.

Upvote 0
I am running Virtuous with custom kernel..... if I want to try another kernel.... do I need to uninstall the custom one? Sorry, I am new to root!

Reboot to Recover, make a Nandroid backup of what you have now (so if something goes wrong, you can restore it to how it was prior to flashing), wipe the cache partition and dalvik cache (do not do a factory reset or wipe other data), and then install the kernel from the SD card. It will remove the previous kernel and flash the new one. The first reboot may take several minutes, so be patient.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones