Best keyboard for Nexus One?

Last Updated:

1. t0ph0id

t0ph0id Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Aside from Swype?

Advertisement
  2. cred05

cred05 Well-Known Member

I'm using the HTC Sense keyboard and I like it. Resolution is a little crappy but I can deal with it.

3. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

Ive used the HTC_IME keyboard on my last 3 android phones and its always been very reliable. Better Keyboard is also a good keyboard but it will cost you, and recently swype keyboard has garnered alot of followers try them all and see what best suits you remember that with better keyboard you have 24hrs to try it and if its not for you just return it.

4. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Swype is indeed good, but for some reason, I really like the standard keyboard.

5. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

a link would be helpful, its not in the appstore...

6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I use Better Keyboard. Swype annoyed me for no real reason, but I only tried it for a few minutes. Might give it another whirl.

7. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

understandable. I was OK with it till I tried it in landscape. why anyone would think its a good idea to rearrange a standard keyboard is beyond me... and as one of the major selling points for me was voice 2 text not having that button was a total dealbreaker.

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Right, gave Swype another try. I like it now but, as you say, landscape Swype is a big no-no. Holy hell, that spacebar placement.

9. t0ph0id

t0ph0id Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm going to give Better Keyboard a go for a while.

10. glennjr15

glennjr15 Member

"Swype" is the way to go. The new version that fixed the bugs for the N1 is awesome! I had downloaded "Better Keyboard" because I had a Blackberry Pearl, and LOVED it's keypad. Unfortunately Better Keyboard's condensed QWERTY keypad is not intuitive at all, and you never get the word you are trying to type. (Even after messing with custom dictionary)

I hope that someone who was a "Pearl Lover" creates another condensed keyboard that is intuitive, and works like the original. If that happens, I may jump ship; until then, Swype it is... Go to this forum topic, and click the corresponding link.

http://androidforums.com/nexus-one/41064-swype-works-landscape-no-errors.html

11. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

Personally i found the stock keyboard almost unusable, tried better keyboard which was also dreadful only in a new and exciting way to the stock.

after reading this thread I'm now using the HTC keyboard and its great. would love to have it in hires but will cope for now.

I've been a blackberry user for years and am quite the thumb typer. before this nexus one I was using an iPhone and I was actually faster typing on that than on a BB bold, markedly faster. the iPhone keyboard is truly awesome.

I love my nexus one but text input is little better than a Samsung toco. not really good enough.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

12. Fatal Exception

Fatal Exception Well-Known Member

I love the stock keyboard, and I have pretty big fingers. I tried swype but I hated my finger blocking the view to the keyboard when I wanted to know what to swype to next.

13. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

Really? if I attempted any sort of pace at all with the stock i got complete nonsense. It was like the CPU priority for the kb was behind everything else. unless I slowed to hunt and peck speed it would literally not get a single word.

14. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

HTC/Android are still behind Apple in terms of Keyboard - both in terms of Keyboard usage and word prediction in my opinion.

I will say it is improving though. The Hero was a pig to type on compared to the Nexus.

15. xoutlaw

xoutlaw Member

trick to swype is the settings. play with them then try it again. also dont try to actually hit every letter perfectly.

16. what29

what29 Well-Known Member

i agree with most, i use swype exclusively now. the first time i installed it i tried it for 3-4 minutes and unistalled it. then a week later decided to give it a fair try and absolutly love it. while it is not as easy when you have to type numbers due to the strange layout typing words is easier than anything i have found on the iphone or on the android market

17. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to get used to swype as well. Find it very hard to use for uncommon words/acronyms that I don't use enough to put in the dictionary, but whenever I go back to the stock keyboard, I find myself still trying to swipe words.

I am starting to really like smart keyboard.

18. AnotherFatalEpic

AnotherFatalEpic Well-Known Member

I really like the idea of SWYPE. But, ONLY when I'm not in landscape. Does anyone know if you can disable it for landscape in the settings? If I could disable it for landscape I would download it immediately.

I like the stock landscape keyboard, I can type pretty fast with it, except that lately I started realizing that even if I hit letters next to what I really wanted to hit, the words would still come out right. Then, I started getting lazy, and accidentally hitting "." instead of "space" which slowed me down a lot.

But I can type at like 30 wpm which is good I think for a phone. If I could type real-keyboard speed (like 80 wpm) I would be ecstatic, but I don't expect to get THAT close to a real keyboard. My last one had a physical keyboard and I was doing like 1 word a minute, lol, well I'm exaggerating but having to press the little tiny buttons took forever.

Whats the difference between better keyboard and the stock one? I understand people considering SWYPE because you input text a whole different way. But I don't get what the difference is with the other keyboards...

19. sewred

sewred Active Member

I like swype and the standard keyboard as well. Swype is fun to type on, but I still can't get the caps to work.

20. yakboy

yakboy Well-Known Member

Two days in with Swype and I'm impressed. I'm still not up to speed with it yet but I'm fairly confident that I'll get super quick with it one day. Bizarrely it's quicker to write longer swords with it than short ones!

worth persevering with if you ask me :)

21. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

I've been using ShapeWriter and found it to be pretty good. Recently I tried out SlideIT, though, and think it's substantially better. It makes many fewer mistakes guessing what word I tried to trace, plus it has a full set of symbols on its symbol keyboard (multiple screens' worth), plus it has user-programmable abbreviations, plus it works with Dataviz Documents to Go. It has a real "shift" key, too, as opposed to ShapeWriter's somewhat kludgy post-facto "change case" button.

If and when the Swype company decides to release a version of Swype I'll take a look at it. Currently, all the copies of Swype in circulation are pirated and released against the company's wishes -- they only sell to handset manufacturer, not end users -- and as a software developer myself, it would be hypocritical of me to install a piece of pirated software. In the meantime, I'm happy with SlideIT; it's hard to imagine that I'd like Swype much better.

22. SnotF

SnotF Well-Known Member

someone link me to the sense keyboard plz?

23. ikon

ikon Well-Known Member

24. rori

rori Well-Known Member

25. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Word of caution - I installed HTC keyboard that is posted in another thread in this forum, and personally didn't like it. But after uninstalling, things got wonky with my Nexus. Minor, but still some issues. ATK - the fonts got all small. BatteryLife - the coloured separation bars got all messed up.

I did a hard reset to fix. Luckily, I have online backup setup with my Gmail account. I personally won't be installing anything HTC anymore.

Just FYI - not to tell people to not do it, but I had weird things happen from installing the HTC keyboard. ;)