• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Underlined words while typing into forums

sachertorte

Apr 16, 2018
Hi,
I am getting text that is underlined as I type into web forums such as this. It does not post as underlined, it is just some annoying "feature" on the user's end. This is driving me crazy, as when this happens and I am at the end of a word and want to hit return to go to the next line, well, it won't, unless I hit the spacebar to put a space in after the word. This happens across two different browsers. I did a Google search and responses tell you to turn off your spellcheck, etc. Well, as a rule, I turn this crap off immediately in my chosen keyboard. I even checked my basic Android settings and see nothing like this enabled. So, aside from some of this correction crap being enabled by mistake and that I can't find it, this is not part of why it is happening.

Any ideas?

Danny

does this happen only on "web forums"? does it happen anywhere else? maybe try going back to the stock sammy keyboard just to see if it is only with Gboard does this happen.
As far as I can tell, it only happens in forums, but I have not been able to look into other scenarios. One place that I know it does not happen is on the Google search page in the search bar. I am going to experiment with some other keyboards. This upgrade to the ZFold 4 (with respect to browsers and web pages) has not gone as easily or as issue free as it has with my other, older phones.

Danny

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
As far as I can tell, it only happens in forums, but I have not been able to look into other scenarios. One place that I know it does not happen is on the Google search page in the search bar. I am going to experiment with some other keyboards. This upgrade to the ZFold 4 (with respect to browsers and web pages) has not gone as easily or as issue free as it has with my other, older phones.

Danny
my z fold 4 has been rocking solid since i got mine. sorry you are having so much trouble. i have yet to try Gboard on my phone. if the keyboard underline issue still exists, try wiping cache and data on your browser. also maybe try a different browser.

Upvote 0
my z fold 4 has been rocking solid since i got mine. sorry you are having so much trouble. i have yet to try Gboard on my phone. if the keyboard underline issue still exists, try wiping cache and data on your browser. also maybe try a different browser.

I tried wiping the cache on Opera. No change. I tried using Chrome, and it behaves similarly. What all happens if you wipe data in a web browser app? I have never tried that. Do you lose bookmarks?

I did see this somewhere, but have no idea if it is reasonable, and if so, how to do it.

"(Set) android:inputType="textNoSuggestions"

Danny

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried wiping the cache on Opera. No change. I tried using Chrome, and it behaves similarly. What all happens if you wipe data in a web browser app? I have never tried that. Do you lose bookmarks?

Danny
as long as you save your bookmarks. just sign back in when you launch the browser.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
So, I would have to have an account (I don't) for that browser?

Danny
sorry i do not use opera as my browser. i use chrome.....and as long as i am logged in with google my bookmarks are backed up.

well i just downloaded opera and it automatically logs you in as guest. but in the middle of my screen i was asked if i wanted to setup an account. i believe once you do that, you will have your bookmarks sync'd from what i can tell. i know that also by having an account, if you use operaon your computer, those bookmarks will also get sync'd as well.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I just removed GBoard, then set Samsung Keyboard as default, with Samsung Keyboard reset to default settings, and I am getting that underline crap, but I am not having a problem with hitting return and advancing to the next line, which was a problem when GBoard was installed. When GBoard was installed, hitting return did nothing unless I first hit the space bar

Danny

Upvote 0
Are you sure it's not just a browser or site's "spell check" feature? I frequently get words underlined on some sites or devices because I'm not American (and hence don't use US spelling), in some cases despite the site being UK based and my language preference being UK English!
Test
Being as your underlined text exists across multiple browsers, forum sites, and keyboards I'm guessing the problem is within a global setting on your phone. I can think of zero settings that might be the culprit. Perhaps a wayward app or an installed theme??

When I am on vacation soon, I am going to clean out my Note 8, then set it up. Once I do that, I am going to do a factory reset on the Z Fold 4. When I do that, I will set up/install one thing at a time, then test for the issue each time. I have uninstalled some of my last installed apps that aren't essential. No relief yet.

I once had a problem on either my Note 3 or 8. It acted like a PC with a virus. I did a factory reset a few times to no avail. I ended up taking it to a Samsung device support office. They could not find anything wrong but did see my issue and agreed something was up. I went home and did another reset, then did as above. I eventually found out that an app that I had installed on my previous device, one that worked well on it, when installed on the current device, was causing the issue.

I uninstalled that app and went on my merry way for years with no issue.

So, I either think that it is the "wayward app" or phone global setting as mentioned above, or possibly some of the "convenience choices", ie "location settings", Samsung account install, etc.,that I made during setup. This timeI was a bit less restrictive on making some of these setup choices upon install.

Danny

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
I looked at a Z Fold 4 tonight at a Verizon store and this underlining of words as you type was present on what I could check on their phone. They did not have www connectivity, so I could check nothing there but a Google search box. I also typed into Samsung Notes. The same underlining is on their phone as well. I also tried an S22 (Ultra?) and it did not behave differently. Of course when you hit the space bar, this underlining goes away. What I can't check on theirs is if in some scenarios, you can hit return and advance to the next line.. On mine, in certain circumstances, hitting return will not put you on the next line.

Danny

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, what happens if you long press an underlined word? Does an option box of some sort appear?

I will try now.

Ok, I get "cut, copy, paste, etc", but I also get that on text that is not underlined. I am finding out that the underlining might not be connected with the real problem that I am having. When I have underlined text I can't hit return, or enter, to get to the next line, unless I hit the spacebar first, which I did not ever have to do on any of my other phones.

Danny

Upvote 0
I will try now.

Ok, I get "cut, copy, paste, etc", but I also get that on text that is not underlined. I am finding out that the underlining might not be connected with the real problem that I am having. When I have underlined text I can't hit return, or enter, to get to the next line, unless I hit the spacebar first, which I did not ever have to do on any of my other phones.

Danny

Right now, on this forum, I am typing with Samsung keyboard instead of GBoard. This problem with not being able to hit "return" to go to the next line is not an issue with this keyboard while here. How it behaves in other places remains to be seen. I still do get the underlining of words, but that is no longer an issue with the other one having been solved. That underlining issue was present on a brand new Z Fold 4 in a Verizon store.

Running the GBoard keyboard on my Note 8, I never experienced this problem. On this phone I have scoured all settings for autocorrect, etc. to get GBoard to behave like on my NOTE 8. I think there is no solution other than using the Samsung Keyboard, or living with GBoard as it is.

Danny

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones