• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best music player?

Im surprised about that. Without the EQ on in mixzing, the Desire sounds pants to me, but each to their own i guess. I refer to how it sounds with headphones on, not the pap loudspeaker :D

Yeah I only use it with headphones too. Turned the EQ on and tried all the settings. Found one that sounded good and listened for a bit. Then started fiddling with it again and when I turned it off it was quite a bit louder and nice and Bassy! Was listening to some breaks at the time so bass and loudness is important :D

Edit: Stopped using Mixzing, tried Museek and really did not like that so back with old faithful stock. I'm a fan of the Sense widgets anyways so not sure why I bothered trying :)

Upvote 0
All my mp3 music on the phone has already been gained (via mp3 gain on pc) to 92 db.

Thanks Wellibob, but I think that's the killer for me.... a lot of my stuff is WMA and my understanding is that it only processes MP3s for some reason...

Appreciate the screenshot - looks good. If only it could be a generic feature for all music players on Android!

Upvote 0
This topic is one I feel very strongly about, and was the main reason I have spent many months debating whether to buy an Android phone.

The thought I have is that I have to carry a phone about with me, and I feel the phone is of sufficient technology that I should not also have to have an MP3 player. So, I need a phone that is also an excellent MP3 player.

I also hope this topic is related to listening with earphones or headphones. The speaker on the phone is not even worth considering as a viable way to listen to music.

This is the first phone, that im happy with, sound wise (so naff without mixzing eq).

wellibob, what other phones and MP3 players have you used before, to come to that conclusion?

All my mp3 music on the phone has already been gained (via mp3 gain on pc) to 92 db.

How do tracks sound if they havent been remotely EQ'd by yourself? Thats a lot of work to have to go to, in order to get the sounds you wish to hear.

Generally, I want to listen to tracks that I have already, or that are given to me. Running them through a separate program on a PC before I can listen to them is not something I want to do, or feel I should need to do.

Reading other info on the web, it seems that there is no native support for equalisers in Android, so that would support others in saying that to add bass to the sound, effectively they take away the rest. The volume on the Desire is not fantastic anyway, so to me, it will become slightly bassy, but far too quiet.

I realise that i am drawing these conclusions before actually listening, as I have not installed any of the audio apps mentioned, but much of this can be worked through in theory before I install any of the apps.

Cheers,
Steve

Reactions: Adebisi
Upvote 0
I listen to a fair bit of music. This process used to involve me playing my tunes through my pc fed by a xfi, which is then fed into a hifi amp, and eq, and into my sennheiser headphones. My collection is 99.9% mp3 based, at least 192 kb or above and i make sure the tracks are from a HQ source in the first place.
As my collection is from difference sources, meaning recordings from some cd`s are alot louder than others, and visa versa, i feed my tracks through mp3 gain, so as to normalize each track to 92 db. After spending a large amount of time making sure each track is HQ, and the tune has been set correctly from pc, to hifi, i then listen to the music. This im happy with. Rich sound, high bass, high top end, and next to zero hiss.

As for personal device, i really wasnt happy with any device, ipod, generic mp3 players, etc etc. I couldnt get a crisp sound full of bass and treble i liked. I even tried to use my old nokia 5800, but even with the EQ set on that, it lacked clarity, and treble (top end). I must have tried at least 30 odd devices, and i couldnt get a good clear crisp sound i liked (as close to my hifi sound as possible)

May 2010 saw the Desire, and like most devices, i put on some of my fav mp3 tracks, quickly put on my headphones, and again, pretty lame low fidelity output. I gave up.
Reading on the web, i soon found mixzing, which was said to have a EQ. I`d give this a try. The difference once i got the EQ set was impressive. It was a rich sound, i was happy with for a portable device. I lived happily ever after !

Everyone hears things different, and i get that. I just found A device i had, was going to use alot, and without mixzing EQ set, its pretty crap to my ears. Mixzing is NOT the perfect app for music, but it has the best sound output. Only you can tell the difference !

Reactions: bass2rez
Upvote 0
wellibob, I admire your dedication to EQ'ing your tunes so they play well on mobile devices. I have just too many tunes to want to go down that road, however. It will take me forever!

I dont think you shound *need* to do this in order to overcome deficiencies in whatever hardware or software you are using.

I have installed Mixzing and I will give it a try today, and see how it sounds. The first thing that has put me off is the adverts at the bottom. I know if I buy the product these will likely disappear, of course.

I listen to techno and acid music, so need a decent bass response from my portable media. The thing I have noticed is that the volume is never quite loud enough on any devices I have used. These include a Sony hard disk Walkman, a Sony W995 and now the Desire.

I will see if there is a way to boost the volume. I was aware of a "trick" with the Sony's, so perhaps there is something that can be done on the Desire.

Cheers,
Steve

Upvote 0
bass2rez and wellibob:

Like you, I care greatly about sound quality. My view is that there isn't a great deal of variation between different players; what really does affect listening pleasure, in my opinion, is the earphones. I've worked my way up through the stock earphones to what I have now: Westone UM3X. Not cheap, I admit, but, in my view, money very well spent. The difference is enormous: I really enjoy what I hear through them.

Incidentally, it may just be me because I haven't seen anyone else mentioning this, but I think the sound quality has improved noticeably since the Froyo upgrade.

Upvote 0
I dont really adjust the tracks so they play well on mobile devices. I decided moons ago, that, my music would be in one format (mp3) and at least 192 kbs. When i played multiple tracks, i noticed most were different volume levels. Mp3 gain comes in here, and i simply threw all my seperate tracks into it, and left it over night adjusting the volume gain. Album tracks dont do well in mp3 gain, especially when tracks merge into one another. Any tracks i got that were not in my chosen format are converted (normally into wave, and then re-encoded with a high bitrate mp3). Its not ideal to re-encode tracks from one format to another, as you always lose somethink in the process, but if the quality isnt upto scratch, i source the track again. Of course there is somethink missing when tracks are compressed to mp3, but my main pc to hifi set up, i have filters and enhancements to try and restore the tracks full uncompressed crispness. Space isnt really an issuse, but i decided again a while back, not to get hung up over the lossless format, and simply get the best from it. Quality is important, but im hard pressed to really hear the difference over a digital recording from a original cd, to a well encoded high bitrate mp3. What you play the mp3 itself is what counts, and for a portable device, im never going to get what i have from my pc to hifi set up, but i found the Desire, through mixzing EQ a half way measure. Ok alot has to do with the headphones used. It all depends on how fussy you are. Im not to bothered on how a portable device lists or shows album art and tags. I know what my tracks are , know where to find them, and create playlists.

I have found myself using the desire alot now to play my tunes via headphones. (ease of use) Its a shame my collection will not fit on a 32 gig sd card :D

Happy listening :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones