• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Rogers store??

Does anyone know of a Rogers store in the Lower Mainland that has treated you in an outstanding way? Is there any single person you like to deal with? Someone who deserves our business? Is there anyone who REALLY knows his Android stuff and is really into it???

I work in an industry that people are really picky with who they deal with? I was wondering if there is that person out there???

Might be an odd question lol... but I'm really curious what everyone thinks!!

Does anyone know of a Rogers store in the Lower Mainland that has treated you in an outstanding way? Is there any single person you like to deal with? Someone who deserves our business? Is there anyone who REALLY knows his Android stuff and is really into it???

I work in an industry that people are really picky with who they deal with? I was wondering if there is that person out there???

Might be an odd question lol... but I'm really curious what everyone thinks!!

Well, sorry if this is an odd answer to your question in advance :p

From experience, I've found all places are fine, as long as you go in extremely well educated.

If you want to go in and simply ask questions, try finding a store that exclusively sells Rogers products. Back when The Source sold Rogers phones, they were the best for information.

If you want my honest opinion, ask details about everything here (plans, phones, etc), and go in extremely well educated, as if you know what you already want. I always get the best treatment when I am well educated.

Which phone / plan were you looking into?

Upvote 0
Sweet yeah I know it's odd, but was just curious!

What i'm looking for in a phone is something to replace my iPhone. I want something that at least has some form of upgrade ability. Something that is fast (snapdragon??), and will last a couple years. I also want to stick with Rogers. But they really don't have anything too interesting at the minute.

Upvote 0
I honestly haven't seen much of the Galaxy S, and I think it's too early to speculate how Rogers will have it customized.

If you are focussed on the ability to upgrade, I would strongly recommend getting a phone from the US rather than Canada, as it seems that the american carriers are more willing to allow updates.

So far, I've only heard word of the Acer Liquid E getting 2.2, and 2.2 is on most phones in the US already. So if you are truly set on new OS updates, I would steer clear of the Rogers Android phones at the moment. I cannot vouch for TELUS or Bell customers.

The only reason I'm so harsh is because with the Dream, Eve, and potentially the X10 (too early to tell), we were told of upgrades to come, and then got shafted. The LG Eve isn't even getting 1.6 until Christmas of this year, or even later.

However, Android 3.0 might be an upgrade similar to iOS 4, where new features are being implemented with MUCH larger system requirements. If that is the case, then having a device ship with 2.1 may only have a lifespan until 2.2. Of course, again, too early to speculate.

Here's the good news. I believe with the iPhone plans being no different, you could simply buy the Android device of your choosing, and continue on the same plan month-to-month. You'd lose the contract-discount, but you'd have the same plan :).

The only phone right now that really seems to be awesome is the Acer Liquid E. But, comparing that to almost anything in the US, it's not that great.

Any particular features you'd be looking for in your upgrade from the iPhone (literally, even my Dream is an update over those things )

Reactions: Saeros
Upvote 0
So far, I've only heard word of the Acer Liquid E getting 2.2, and 2.2 is on most phones in the US already.

The Nexus One is still the only phone (anywhere) that's running stock 2.2. The Droid 2 will supposedly be shipped with 2.2 when it launches in August (in the U.S.)

I would recomend the Nexus One if you don't mind paying the upfront cost. Google stopped selling the Phone as of a couple of days ago :( BUT you can get the N1 if you register as a Dev for $25.

If you want the fastest updates, then the N1 is definitely worth it. It's almost 7 months old, but it can still compete with all of the new phones that are out.

Reactions: Saeros
Upvote 0
Hey! I guess one of my hugest concerns is upfront cost... I simply cant shell out 400-700 bux for a new phone. And I was also assuming that the hardware is pretty good on the Galaxy S... so I figured upgrades would at least happen for a year or maybe longer...

If one were to root it, you could upgrade faster than Rogers would release updates... right??

Upvote 0
If you root your phone you WILL get faster updates (if they're available). The only downside being that you'll lose any tech support from Rogers and you'll void the warranty. If you brick the phone, well you're paying for a whole new one.

I bought my Samsung Spica back in March and (after reading like crazy on here) rooted it. I'm now on 2.1 while all the rest of the non-rooted ones are still on 1.5. The only downside to my phone at the moment is that Samsung has decided my phone is "too old" to bother updating it to 2.2. The good news with that is that there's someone on the samdroid forums who's working (alone and without support) to get a version of 2.2 ON the Spicas. He's about halfway there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones