• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best way to improve battery life

D

Deleted User

I've found a great way to improve battery life on a smart phone. I've owned an HTC desire for 20 months now, I was on an 18 month contract with Orange UK. The signal continually switched between different signal strengths. Phone calls were ok but mobile internet was rubbish! I live in Manchester but travel regularly, and noticed particularly bad signals in parts of London. After my contract ended I decided to try another network - Giffgaff, which uses the O2 network. Now my signal is much better, it's pretty much always on H.

I had no idea that having a decent signal would affect the phone's battery life so much - it is now 70-80% battery after coming home from my 12 hour working day instead of 50-60%. I will definitely not be settling for a poor mobile signal again.

I would suggest to anyone who has come off their mobile phone contract to shop around for a pay as you go simcard in order to find the right network for you before going into another long contract with a mobile operator.

I can whole heartedly recommend giffgaff - at just 10 pounds top up, you get unlimited internet, unlimited texts, unlimited giffgaff to giffgaff calls and 250 any network minutes, and there's no contract involved. You can order a free simcard through my link below which also includes 5 pounds free credit with your first top up! It's free so order as many as you like!

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/canonyau

[Full disclosure: this is an affiliate link that also benefits the poster - mod]

Upvote 0
This brings up an interesting point. I have the opposite problem. I'm in the USA and have one of AT&T's microCell units (a type of femtocell) located in my house. Curiously, I've noticed that my battery life is worse at home... even though I'm only seated 3' from the unit, and obviously have a multipath-free 5 bar signal at all times. It hakes me wonder if there is some behind-the-scenes signalling going on when using the microCell.

Upvote 0
This brings up an interesting point. I have the opposite problem. I'm in the USA and have one of AT&T's microCell units (a type of femtocell) located in my house. Curiously, I've noticed that my battery life is worse at home... even though I'm only seated 3' from the unit, and obviously have a multipath-free 5 bar signal at all times. It hakes me wonder if there is some behind-the-scenes signalling going on when using the microCell.

Could it be due to increased usage of the phone due to actually having a signal? ;) It's amazing how much more fun these phones are when you can actually go on the internet on them :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones