• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best weather app with radar besides the weather channel and weatherbug

Was using MyRadar for my radar but recently stopped working. Went back and auditioned a bunch of things suggested here and found that I like Raindar too so now using that. Checked out 1Weather and there are some neat things there like the way they show chance of precipitation with the little beakers filling up - that is cool. I wish I could take bits here and there from different apps and create my own. eWeather HD looks really nice with some great widgets but at $3.99 without being able to at least try it out I can't go for. There is just too much good stuff out there for free. I will always buy the pro versions of apps I really like and I like to support the devs, but you have to at least give me a trial period - especially on an app that costs so much right out of the gate. Just sayin'.

Upvote 0
"Doppler Radar" is a very touted "TV" technology since 1991, yet very rarely presented since since most people have very little interest or training in the interpretation of radial velocities to/from any given radar transmitter.

What most "TV" and apps present is reflective DBz values based on simple particle size and composition (water solid/liquid), not radial "Doppler" velocities based on speed toward or away from the transmitter.

Current 88D software modelling and output requires formal training and educated interpretation to understand any meteorological implications. By far, the very vast majority of "TV"/web reporters and apps have no such formal training to understand what it means, yet they love to use the word "Doppler" -- Caveat Emptor.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones