• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Blank sd unsupported filesystems

Johnny Crapple

Android Expert
Jul 9, 2011
Texas
Last night I took a pic of my kid and everything was good I tried to take a pic later and I got the message (blank sd unsupported filesystems). I tried to get my pics and videos back with a card reader but it said sd not formatted so I did. I am wondering why this happened.

Sent from my typewriter

What brand of SD? Sometimes they just go bad.
I had one that kept crashing and had to be reformatted to work again, I eventually took it back and exchanged it for an identical replacement and it never happened again.
Even if that card seems ok after reformatting I wouldn't trust it, get another one.

It's a lexar 16gb class 10 and I think I figured it out. I forgot to format the sd when I put it in this phone. I will just backup to my pc every now and then like I was going to. :beer:

Sent from my typewriter

Upvote 0
Ok, then maybe the card is all right and you just need to format it. I'd think if the phone didn't see a properly formatted card it wouldn't try to store anything on it. You sure the pics aren't in the phone internal memory?

Nope they are gone now the sd was working fine but maybe something from my old phone messed it up idk just guessing.

Sent from my typewriter

Upvote 0
do not format it. just try to take it out of the phone and put it back. I remember it happening to me on my old Optimus M. turn off the phone, take it out, turn on the phone, turn off the phone again, put SD back in.

There is also a chance that your SD is defective.

I think it's defective I already formatted the card. I tried what you said the first time it happened didn't work.

Sent from my typewriter.

Upvote 0
I had it happen, too, with a 16GB PNY class 6. The mp3's I was playing shortly before it corrupted the second time started playing back with noises and on the next boot, the card was a goner.

Yep same thing it kept saying music player cannot play this kind of file or something and skipping the rest of the song. I unmounted sd it said sdcard removed unexpectedly then the blank sd message and I wanted to pull my hair out. This happened this second time not the first though.

Sent from my typewriter.

Upvote 0
For some reasons it happens to me when I restart the phone, it asks me to format the SD card. My card size is 16GB.

I'll try to see if I could fix it, also I'll try a smaller size card and see if the problem only happens to the 16GB cards.

I got a Samsung 16gb class 6 sdcard it has been working fine :thumbup:

Sent from my typewriter.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones