• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bloatware Apps/ Malware?

TradeChills

Lurker
Aug 19, 2016
Hello,
My sister has a Starmobile Jump HD (Pinoy Brand).
These apps keeps installing by itself.
  • 9Apps
  • BEAR
  • BeautPicture
  • Book
  • FacebookAd
  • Fast Browser
  • File Browser
  • GPS Speed
  • Happy Music
  • Hot Gril
  • Hot Gril
  • Html5 Games
  • iWeather
  • Keep
  • Lions
  • MAST
  • Photo to Video Maker
  • PinkLove
  • Show Gril
  • Speed rocket
  • Speedtest
  • Super Locker
  • Super Weather
  • SuperBattery
  • SuperUser
  • Tool
  • WatermelonShare
  • Widget
  • Wifi Analyzer
  • Wireless Optimizer
I did NOT install any of these apps, neither did she. Factory Reset does nothing, all of these apps keeps reinstalling. There is no SD Card inserted and I did not root this device btw (maybe it rooted itself?).

Is there anything I could do besides reflashing the device? I've been trying to fix this phone since yesterday.
Thanks in advance!

So to be clear: these apps were not on it when it was first bought and used, and only recently started appearing? And they reinstall after a reset, i.e. a reset removes them and then they are reinstalled, as opposed to the reset simply not removing them in the first place (if they are installed to /system then a reset won't remove them at all).

If those 2 statements are correct then it's possible she's installed something that contained a rootkit malware (i.e. is able to gain root privileges and install itself to /system, where it's immune to a reset) and that is installing these other apps. If you could identify that and were to root the device you could remove it yourself, but reflashing the device would be the simplest way of dealing with something like that.

Note that android doesn't root itself, and cannot become infected without some action on the user's part. The commonest way these things happen is via a trojan, i.e. the malware is hidden inside some other app that the user installs. So if this is a rootkit malware then you need to be careful where you install apps from so you don't end up reinstalling it after a reflash. I've never heard of one of these in the Play Store, but sites that offer paid apps for free are full of malware, and fake warning messages fed as ads when browsing ("virus detected, click here to fix" sort of crap) are likely to be malware installers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones