• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Blocked from connecting to Free Bus Wifi

I have a Moto g 4g running lollipop on O2. I live in Edinburgh.

Up until 2 weeks ago when travelling on the local Lothian bus network I have been able to connect and sign in to their Free Bus Wi-Fi with absolutely no problems.

However since 2 weeks ago their Wi-Fi is provided by LetsJoin

LetsJoin is a WiFi based infotainment network designed specifically for distribution on public transport nationally and since then although I can connect I am blocked from signing in. I get a white screen with a padlock inside a red circle. No amount of forgetting the network, switching on and off helps.

I have asked Lothian buses to investigate which they have agreed to do. I have no problem with other free Wi-Fi like M&S, Starbucks and others. My son's iPhone connects with no problems and I have checked with others using other manufacturer's phones. It appears to be a Moto issue.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might resolve this?

Thanks.

RogerB

Padlock with a red circle....are you seeing things that look like this...

screenshot_2015-06-08-18-27-28-png.88885

screenshot_2015-06-09-19-01-08-png.88937

See this thread....sounds like the same problem with "free" WiFi..
http://androidforums.com/threads/cannot-use-public-wifi-networks.920890/

Try a different browser, that's all I can suggest. And be aware of your online privacy when using open "free" WiFi. Using a secure VPN is a good idea.

It's quite possible that iOS is oblivious to what's happening here. That's why it seems to work OK. "free" WiFi on public transport, "free" WiFi in hotels, and they (LetsJoin, Lothian Buses, Arqiva, Premier Inn, etc.) are monetizing it through inserting ads and data mining, and the browser is red-flagging that data packets are being intercepted and modified.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones