• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth 2.1 the Good/Bad News

+1 to Chawski for CM6

Never had any troubles with the CM6 pairing with 2 different VW's, even with all the nightlies I've flashed, still have not had any trouble

I am still curious if the fully featured Bluetooth voice dialing via headset works in CyanogenMod 6? Also, the recent updates that allow texting and whatnot, would that work as well with a Bluetooth headset? :)

Not having Bluetooth voice dialing on my Sprint HTC Hero has been one of the few major sore points of my experience so far. When I say few, I mean it is really the only one. ;)

Upvote 0
I have used the voice dial, but i cant confirm it is working over BT or the mic is just picking me up. When im in the car, my phone is usually in the console next to me, and the mic is pretty sensitive, so im not sure if its the BT picking it up or the mic on the handset, but none the less, however it works, it works for me haha

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. As you may know because I heavily depend on my bluetooth connection to my car (Infiniti G35) I stayed with Fresh 1.5. I took the plunge and flashed Cyanogen 6 (Froyo) and happy to report there is no problems with this OS. I highly recommend!

Thanks for posting this. I too went back to Fresh 1.5 from 2.1 because my navi from a pioneer head unit would not sync up. I got on CM6 with 2.2 and it works like a charm. Also Froyo is incredibly fast and has all the features I missed when using 1.5

Only drawback is nomore T9-dialpad, but whatever I just use voice dialing now anyway lol

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Ok ran into something odd this morning.

Last night after doing a BT test with my car, it made the call and incoming audio worked, couldn't really test out going audio as I called a answering machine ( 3-4am so..)

but all seemed good.

This morning I go to do a test, and I try to flip on the BT with the power controller widget, it a darker shade of blue then the other items that are on, then it goes out ( as if its off ) and it isn't connecting to my car now.

Now if it isn't detecting a BT sig will it auto off ?

I have rebooted twice now, no other settings were changed from last night to this morning out side of making a nadroid backup after I got my address book sorted out with ring tones etc.

Why would the BT auto power off ?

-Robert

Upvote 0
Hi everyone. As you may know because I heavily depend on my bluetooth connection to my car (Infiniti G35) I stayed with Fresh 1.5. I took the plunge and flashed Cyanogen 6 (Froyo) and happy to report there is no problems with this OS. I highly recommend!
Oh cool. Okay, so how exactly do you do this? I am having the same problem with my '07 G35 bluetooth.

Upvote 0
I've been having the same problem. 1.5 worked perfect with Uconnect bluetooth, but the 2.1 upgrade caused all kinds of problems as all of you. What I did was a complete factory reset of the phone. It didn't reset it back to 1.5, but it did reset all settings including the bluetooth application. Please understand, this does wipeout all personal settings including all contacts and installed applications. Also, make sure you delete all phone pairings within your in-car bluetooth system. Now pair your phone with your bluetooth device. This worked perfectly for me.... Everything is functional including phonebook download and voice recognition. Let me know if being tried and how it went.

Upvote 0
2.1 eclair on samsung epic 4g has never remained connected after the initial pairing with several Garmin Nuvi units I own. Sprint looks at me like I am the only one with this problem and then says, "we'll test to ensure bluetooth is working on your device." Um I am very about this and I have been waiting for the froyo update for 3 months. &*$#!

Upvote 0
I have replied to the car bt pairing problem in another thread on this forum. Deleting all "other contacts" is the solution it seems - the phone tries to sync VCS files that are not complete - like emails that the phone saves as a contact making the bt pairing angry since some info may be missing like name and number and stuff - do try this b4 downgrading or rooting or something like that

Upvote 0
Hello, I would like to mention a few things that I have found about some of the phones not working with some blue tooth devices and car kits:
1) It seems that the phone companies can't just add to something that is already working. I have seen Samsung & HTC phones work well on Android 2.1. The phone book downloads fine, BT connection is not dropped and streaming audio worked.. However when HTC went to 2.2 a while back and Samsung recently did also. They both started having problems.
The HTC EVO 4G & the Shift both would drop the BT connection. I found this to be an issue with the phone book download. If I selected "decline" when the request for permission to DL the PB,(this request would come up about 4-5 more times, I just ignored it and it stopped). The phone would now stay paired, only issue was that if I wanted to place a call from my PB, I would have to use the contact list in my phone and press send, then the call would go thru my car BT system. I reported this info to an HTC Eng who then go me an update of 2.3.3 to test for him. It worked fine so HTC released it to the public for an OTA update.
Recently Samsung release the 2.2 for the Transform and also for the Captivate ( I know there were others but these just happened to be the phones I had for testing). The Captivate would not DL the PB where it did with the 2.1 and the streaming audio was a bit better but still a little choppy. The Transform now will not hold connection at all whether or not I decline the PB request to DL. I have sent Samsung traces on both issues for them to look at.
The issue with the streaming audio is that the phone companies want to try to have the BEST sound quality and upped the BIT POOL to 35, that would be good but most device and car kits support a BIT POOL of 18 - 25 (which is also the range that a lot of other phones support) so do the car kits and other change to the BIT POOL of 35 and possibly not work with a lot of phones on the market that support 18 - 25 or do they simply change to fit the few new updates that the companies who used to support 18 - 25 and now have a higher BIT POOL?

Upvote 0
I have this same exact issue with my Motorala Backflip (connect/disconnect loop) running Android 2.1 and my 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I have tried many different things posted on many sites. Here is a variation of one solution that works for me to connect consistently.

1. Delete the pairing in both the phone and the car kit.
2. Pair the devices.
3. Allow continued access to the phonebook when the prompt appears in the phone's notification bar.
4. Leave bluetooth on.
5. Turn off the car.

Now whenever you get into the car, do the following:

1. Start the car.
2. Immediately make a call from the phone (I call my voicemail).
3. After you hear the call switch from the phone to to the car kit, hang up the call using steering wheel controls.

What I think is happening here is that by making a call during the connection process, you a forcing communication through the entire bluetooth stack. This must not be happening during the automatic connection process (but should be).

Try this and see if it works for you.

Upvote 0
In addition to the connection issue, I had an issue where the the car kit was stuck downloading the phonebook. I did the following, which seems to have worked:

1. As stated in my previous post, allow continued access to the phonebook when the prompt appears in the phone's notification bar.
2. Clear recent calls list (in dialer > menu).

This, along with the instructions in my previous post, has worked for me.
Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones