• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth Audio on Custom Roms?

SupraLance

Nov 16, 2010
Missouri
My niece has a VM Optimus Elite that she has rooted and installed recovery and is ready for a ROM. I've been reading to pick one out for her, but it appears there is a widespread problem with Bluetooth Audio not working with custom ROMs. How far back will she have to go to choose a ROM with working bluetooth audio? Is there a 3rd party app or hack to get around the issue with newer ROMs?

First question - what is she looking for? "A ROM" is about like "a motor vehicle". You don't buy a 55 foot semi to commute to work and you don't buy a personal water craft to haul logs. She decides what she wants, then decides if she can do it without a ROM (rooting itself voids the warranty - flashing a ROM, even if done right, usually means that the manufacturer won't touch the phone if something goes wrong with it iater), then - if the only way to do what she wants is to flash a particular ROM, she flashes that ROM.

All phones run ROMS - the phone comes with the stock ROM. You change ROMS because the stock one doesn't do what you want.

How far back does she have to go to get a ROM that does Bluetooth? Maybe the latest one that's coming out tomorrow, maybe none has ever done Bluetooth on that phone. That's not how you decide which ROM you want. It's like buying milk based on the picture of the cow on the container. Maybe all you need is a glass of water.

If she hasn't decided on which feature she wants that's not in the stock ROM, it's not yet time to be deciding on which ROM to flash.

Upvote 0
Maybe you misunderstood... I'm familiar with the differences in each newer version of Android and run KitKat on hardware older than hers, which performs better on KitKat then it did on JB, which was better than it's performance on ICS etc. But I'm not that familiar with particular ROMs for the Elite. I'm reading that many (or all?) have issues with bluetooth audio. She streams music from the SD on her phone to a bluetooth speaker she carries with her, so this is a must-have feature for her.

The question is, What's the newest ROM she can run on the Elite and still stream to a BT speaker?

Upvote 0
Maybe you misunderstood... I'm familiar with the differences in each newer version of Android and run KitKat on hardware older than hers, which performs better on KitKat then it did on JB, which was better than it's performance on ICS etc. But I'm not that familiar with particular ROMs for the Elite. I'm reading that many (or all?) have issues with bluetooth audio. She streams music from the SD on her phone to a bluetooth speaker she carries with her, so this is a must-have feature for her.

The question is, What's the newest ROM she can run on the Elite and still stream to a BT speaker?

Have you tried a JellyBean rom like AOKP yet. IDK if even the person who ported and maintains it knows if it works because i guess he has nothing to test it on. Try his AOKP and see if it works. If it doesn't tell phenomx4 so he can look at it and try to fix it. Here the best thing you can do flash any JB rom if it doesnt work on one its not going to work on any other JB rom we have so try an ICS. Same thing. If all that doesnt work your going to have to go back to good old GB.It will work on Gingerbread just not sure on anything else. http://androidforums.com/elite-all-things-root/787187-rom-sleipnir-v2-4-0-5-10-24-13-vm-sprint.html

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Did it work? I've been holding off since I'd have to re-install everything I've got... So you might save me some time.

Thanks - Army

Thank You. Sleipnir is the conclusion I've been coming to as well, but I went ahead and had her flash the new Slim Bean (AOKP base) to see if just maybe...
Based on Phenom's last post http://androidforums.com/elite-all-...mobile-sprint-12-30-2013-a-5.html#post6395859 looks as if he may be looking into this issue next. I hope so.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones