• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth range extremely dropped after 4.4.2 update !

I am kind of curious to find out how that DN3 rom is working for you ....have you worked out all the bugs with the modem? I have done a little research on DN3 rom and looks very impressive.....but I couldn't find too many end user comments about how it is working or not. I too am having trouble with the bluetooth range and would like to get it fixed....it doesn't look like get help from Samsung because an in international note 2 where customer support is in Africa......I an in California

Upvote 0
My bluetooth range dropped also, to almost having to hold my phone next to my headset within inches after being used to going up to 30 feet away after I updated my Note 2 to the 4.4.2 update. I got alien sounds or nothing. It was perfect before the update using my Plantronics Voyager Legend headset. After reading this forum, I have found that if you turn on Mobile Hotspot it fixes the issue. To fix the issue of it turning off every 10 minutes, you will need to go to the Mobile Hotspot app that is on the Note 2 and set it up. The menu button has options for Timeout Settings from 5 min to Never Timeout, default is 10 minutes. Mine works perfect again thanks to this forum. But no thanks to calls to At&t or Samsung which claimed no knowledge to the problem.

Reactions: fiddle
Upvote 0
My Samsung Note 2 (bought in India) received OTA updates in May'14 that upgraded the Android version to 4.4.2. At that time there was no issues with Bluetooth signal strength. Everything was fine until I had hard reset my phone last week. After the factory reset, all the problem with bluetooth range started.

Hence I am not sure what might have broken the bluetooth range after the factory reset.

-Sudipta.

Upvote 0
I've gone through all the threads and replies above but couldn't really understand what is the solution to resolve the BT connectivity issue and drop off connection from just putting your phone away. It is really frustrating that Samsung is focusing only the new handsets and are ignoring the older versions.

Factory Reset & all the above means have already tried but nothing actually helps. I'm sure many others are facing the same issue as mentioned but is there any proper solution to resolve this or has any one actually done something to come out of this problem.

It would be great if anyone can post the exact solution to rectify BT issue or else would have no option left than to sell it off.

Upvote 0
Hello,

As soon as I update my Note 2's Android version to 4.4.2, bluetooth devices started to disconnect. This issue started to happen around 1 week before, just after I update my phone. I was expecting to solve it by myself but I couldn't do it. Please help me.

Bluetooth devices only work within 30-50 cm range right now. I can't use them even if my Note2 is located in my bag.

I used to play music by using BackBeat Go2 while my phone is located next room before this update

It seems like Bluetooth is working but signal power is extremely low. If I ever put my hand around BackBeat Go2, BT disconnects now.

I have been using my Note II with "Gear2" and "BackBeat Go 2" accessories without any issue prior to 4.4.2 update.

Details:
my phone: GT-N7100
Android version: 4.4.2
N7100DDUFND1

affected bluetooth devices:
Plantronics BackBeat Go 2
Samsung GEAR 2
(I have no other bluetooth devices other than these)

My phone is not rooted and bought from a retail store.
Update was done by official ways.

Upvote 0
Hello,

As soon as I update my Note 2's Android version to 4.4.2, bluetooth devices started to disconnect. This issue started to happen around 1 week before, just after I update my phone. I was expecting to solve it by myself but I couldn't do it. Please help me.

Bluetooth devices only work within 30-50 cm range right now. I can't use them even if my Note2 is located in my bag.

I used to play music by using BackBeat Go2 while my phone is located next room before this update

It seems like Bluetooth is working but signal power is extremely low. If I ever put my hand around BackBeat Go2, BT disconnects now.

I have been using my Note II with "Gear2" and "BackBeat Go 2" accessories without any issue prior to 4.4.2 update.

Details:
my phone: GT-N7100
Android version: 4.4.2
N7100DDUFND1

affected bluetooth devices:
Plantronics BackBeat Go 2
Samsung GEAR 2
(I have no other bluetooth devices other than these)

My phone is not rooted and bought from a retail store.
Update was done by official ways.

SAME - EXACT - SITUATION - HERE: my Note 2 worked like a charm with 4.3 and my Galaxy Gear was always connected, even at 10 feet away and through 3/4 walls. After update to 4.4.2 rom (a modded one, the "Dr Ketan"), when I turn an angle at 3/4 the connection goes away. I tried to install another rom (DN3, already cited here) but same problem. Always with full wipe. I have not tried to install samsung stock 4.4.2 rom because I'm sure the situation is the same (a large number of people complaining about this).

I'm thinking of going back to the 4.3, but it is very frustrating.

I hope someone will find a REAL solution. :(:(:(

Upvote 0
SAME - EXACT - SITUATION - HERE: my Note 2 worked like a charm with 4.3 and my Galaxy Gear was always connected, even at 10 feet away and through 3/4 walls. After update to 4.4.2 rom (a modded one, the "Dr Ketan"), when I turn an angle at 3/4 the connection goes away. I tried to install another rom (DN3, already cited here) but same problem. Always with full wipe. I have not tried to install samsung stock 4.4.2 rom because I'm sure the situation is the same (a large number of people complaining about this).

I'm thinking of going back to the 4.3, but it is very frustrating.

I hope someone will find a REAL solution. :(:(:(

I found the only solution to have Kitkat in note 2 with a normal range bluetooth. Flash a N7100 Rom 4.4.4 ported of S3 korean. I do not find in this forum this Rom, but sure you can find if you look for it.

Upvote 0
I found the only solution to have Kitkat in note 2 with a normal range bluetooth. Flash a N7100 Rom 4.4.4 ported of S3 korean. I do not find in this forum this Rom, but sure you can find if you look for it.

Thank you, interesting idea. I found that rom, but it's still in development and for example the spen suite doesn't work.

I prefer to go back to the 4.3 DN3 version rom: at least I can have everything up and running.

What a shame... :(

Upvote 0
Same issue seen after an update to kitkat .
it is very clear understanding that the power to the bluetooth is very minimal. So simply confirm this test by also turning on your hotspot tethering and trying out your bluetooth devices. It should work as before.
the only problem here is that your battery will drain faster than you expect .

I would strongly suggest google (android) to look into this specific issue.

Try out this test and send your valuable feedback

Upvote 0
My bluetooth range dropped also, to almost having to hold my phone next to my headset within inches after being used to going up to 30 feet away after I updated my Note 2 to the 4.4.2 update. I got alien sounds or nothing. It was perfect before the update using my Plantronics Voyager Legend headset. After reading this forum, I have found that if you turn on Mobile Hotspot it fixes the issue. To fix the issue of it turning off every 10 minutes, you will need to go to the Mobile Hotspot app that is on the Note 2 and set it up. The menu button has options for Timeout Settings from 5 min to Never Timeout, default is 10 minutes. Mine works perfect again thanks to this forum. But no thanks to calls to At&t or Samsung which claimed no knowledge to the problem.
Same issue seen after an update to kitkat .
it is very clear understanding that the power to the bluetooth is very minimal. So simply confirm this test by also turning on your hotspot tethering and trying out your bluetooth devices. It should work as before.
the only problem here is that your battery will drain faster than you expect .

I would strongly suggest google (android) to look into this specific issue.

Try out this test and send your valuable feedback

Upvote 0
Hi All,

The band-aid solution for me, will be just to activate the tethering and that somewhat cure the problem.

Hope that helps.
I downloaded mobile hotspot application.
I did a test with my bluetooth headset.
Round 1 with mobile hotspot on= no breakage . Perfect signal
round 2 without mobile hotspot but bluetooth tethering only on = slight breakage and poor signal
round 3 without either mobile hotspot or bluetooth tethering = very tiny range

Problem with round 1 is that you have off wifi.
But for phone calls only it's acceptable until android sends another upgrade.

Otherwise for limited range, round 2 is good since wifi can also be turned on.

Upvote 0
So I'm having the same issue ever since the update both but my wifi and Bluetooth are not working. They seem to come and go as they please. And if one is working, the other won't either. I've done all the so called remedies:

Re flash (Samsung rep in best buy store)
Soft reset
Factory reset
Take out battery
Safe mode
Buy a new sd card
New SIM card

Everything seems to work temporarily but nothing permanent. Att store reps are useless. They won't even look at the phone because it's out of warranty. They told me to call Samsung. Basically if they're not selling you a new phone they're not trying to hear it. Multiple reps insisted that I upgrade. If I wanted to upgrade I would have. Samsung reps on the phone (called 2 different times) insisted I send my phone in for 9-11 days (would clearly take long longer because it's the holidays) and they would not provide me with a loaner. They told me to go to Att and see if they would give me a loaner in the meantime. We know that's not going to happen. They would look at the phone and attempt to fix it for a fee (not guaranteeing the could fix it) because it's out of warranty. At this point I'm pissed because this is clearly a software issue that ,any of their consumers are experiencing!!!!!! How are you going to make me pay for an attempt to fix my phone or try to get me to buy a brand new ridiculously expensive new phone becaus of your INADEQUATE SOFTWARE?! I truly agree with the person who stated its a conspiracy. All these companies do software updates when their new phones come out that screw up the old phones with bullshit resolutions that don't fix the old phones in order to try and con us into buying the new version. I REFUSE! Samsung and Android's need to get their act together!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones