• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Range (Galaxy Buds & iPod Touch)

SteveP29

Aug 3, 2010
Hi,
As above, I use my galaxy Buds with my Galaxy S10 phone and mostly with my iPod touch.

I tend to keep the iPod in a chest pocket in my jacket when travelling to and from work.
It is literally 15 inches from where the buds are secured in my ears, how, when bluetooth range is claimed to be anywhere up to a kilometre, do I get a break/ drop out in the connection if I turn my head to either side whilst walking or standing at a bus stop?

I am not aware of any problems that should arise from the devices being cross platform (Android/ iOS) or cross brand (Samsung/ Apple), so does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

BT range is spec'd at up to about 33' and that is with no obstructions. It operates at very low power so it doesn't take much to reduce that range, either something blocking the RF path or radio interference on a nearby frequency. BT operates in the 2.4GHz band which is very crowded with other devices- wifi, microwave ovens, etc.

It should work better for you than what you're describing but we don't know what conditions are present that may be causing the dropouts.

Upvote 0
They are the original Galaxy buds and the iPod is a Touch 4
ok so we are dealing with old tech. and if the issue was all of a sudden then it could be software or a hardware issue. you can try forgetting the buds on your ipoop, and then reconnecting them. you can try doing a factory reset on the device. if those do not work than you have a hardware issue. and if your buds works fine on your s10 than it sounds like the crapple is the issue. if the buds are also having issues with the phone as well then it is probably the buds are at fault.

Upvote 0
Hi,
As above, I use my galaxy Buds with my Galaxy S10 phone and mostly with my iPod touch.

I tend to keep the iPod in a chest pocket in my jacket when travelling to and from work.
It is literally 15 inches from where the buds are secured in my ears, how, when bluetooth range is claimed to be anywhere up to a kilometre, .....
Up to a kilometre? Keep in mind you're mixing Bluetooth Low Energy with regular, conventional Bluetooth. Bluetooth LE does have more coverage range but it's also a device-specific form of wireless connectivity for specific purposes. Your iPod Touch is likely to include support for it but your old Galaxy Buds do not so you should expect something more in the 40 ft. (12 metre) range for a stable, reliable, and still conventional Bluetooth connection.
Anyway, have you tried deleting the current pairing and gone through the process of re-pairing your Buds to your iPod? Have you tried connecting your Buds to a different mobile device or your computer to see if the same problem occurs? That might help determine if the issue is something to look into with your Buds or your iPod.

What have you tried already, just to save us from post repetitive suggestions?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the responses everyone.

Rather than try and quote and reply to everyone I'll just summarise if I can.

The pairing works perfectly if I keep my head facing forwards, as said in my original post, it's only if I turn my head to either side that the signal fails, it immediately reconnects and takes up as if I'd just turned the volume off for a second.

Signal with my S10 has been consistently good, although the furthest they've been apart is probably about 40 feet from our living room to the bathroom.
When I use the buds with my phone, the phone tends to be on a desk or the arm of the chair I'm sitting on.
The only problem I've ever had with the buds while connected to the phone is when I've spoken to my parents on their landline, they can never hear me or I am very faint, hearing them has never been a problem. Calls to other mobiles have always been perfect.

As for other possible interference, all I can think of is that my Galaxy Active watch is paired to my phone, I don't have any other devices with me. The charging case for the buds are kept in my trouser pocket when they're in use, so they aren't touching the iPod
The bus does have wifi but as I don't have any problems when on it and I'm listening to music actually on the iPod (not being streamed, I've discounted that as a source of interference, I keep the wifi on the iPod turned off at all times to lessen battery drain)

I will try forgetting and repairing the buds to the iPod, They work perfectly with my 7 year old Galaxy Tab A and the HP Elitebook I have for work

I've tried no other fixes

Upvote 0
Bluetooth range can vary based on several factors, including the Bluetooth version used, environmental interference, and the specific devices involved. Both Galaxy Buds and iPod Touch generally support Bluetooth 5.0 or higher, which provides a range of up to 30 feet (approximately 9 meters) in optimal conditions. However, real-world performance can be influenced by walls, objects, and other electronic devices, potentially reducing the effective range. It's essential to maintain a clear line of sight and minimize obstructions for the best wireless connectivity.
did you not read the op? the phone is in his pocket!!!! there are no walls or objects to obstruct bluetooth connectivity. and it only happens when he turns his head to either side.

@SteveP29 have you tried different bluetooth headsets on the icrapple?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones