• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth starts music automatically

kanezfan

Jul 5, 2012
Is there any way to stop Bluetooth from playing music automatically? I don't want music to start playing when I end a call unless I had it playing when the phone rang. I don't want music to start playing automatically when the Bluetooth connection is first established when I turn on my car and the phone corrects to the car radio. This was never an issue on my iPhone and is the single most annoying thing about this new phone. I love my GS3 and have no plans to get rid of it over something like this but man is this annoying as hell.

Bump. I'm having this problem and it's really annoying. It'll start playing the internal samsung music player even if another app is trying to play over bluetooth. Disabling bluetooth pairing is not really a desired option, since I'm trying to stream radio over bluetooth. ... I don't feel like this was happening a month ago. I don't use bluetooth that frequently, but I wonder if this issue/"feature" was introduced in LG8, or if some app I installed somehow makes the stock music player wakeup and auto play. The music app seems to open up even if it's not running, and only when I hit the bluetooth button on my car.

I'm going to try going into my car later, have it automatically pop up, tell the app to play locally (instead of bluetooth), Shutdown the car, disconnect bluetooth, then see if it's fixed.

Upvote 0
Bump. I'm having this problem and it's really annoying. It'll start playing the internal samsung music player even if another app is trying to play over bluetooth. Disabling bluetooth pairing is not really a desired option, since I'm trying to stream radio over bluetooth. ... I don't feel like this was happening a month ago. I don't use bluetooth that frequently, but I wonder if this issue/"feature" was introduced in LG8, or if some app I installed somehow makes the stock music player wakeup and auto play. The music app seems to open up even if it's not running, and only when I hit the bluetooth button on my car.

I'm going to try going into my car later, have it automatically pop up, tell the app to play locally (instead of bluetooth), Shutdown the car, disconnect bluetooth, then see if it's fixed.

I have been googling and googling to find an answer...and it is really confusing. Bottom line..it's a known issue. Some folks are using tasker to stop it...or checking their car to "uncheck" an autoplay feature...but it happens to me all the time. I want to listen to Pandora, and it starts playing a random MP3 on my phone with the default media player. Sucks...have to go into task manager and kill the application. If a DEFINITE fix comes out...hopefully someone will post it here.

Upvote 0
IT's not really a BT setting -- that's why it won't be "fixed".

On my S3, I user PowerAmp and it has a setting to automatically pause and resume music. If I uncheck that, music does not resume until I press the button in the app.

It's the default media player app that plays the music...I have winamp & '3' installed...it's the media player that autoplays.....

Upvote 0
I'm fairly new to android (maybe a month?), so I find stuff like this very frustrating. When crap like this was broken in webos, 20 minutes of grepping through the code you could find a fix, and fix it yourself. Ah those were the days... also my phone had 256megs of ram and was out of ram before it finished booting.

Anyway, I digress. After an hour of fustration and swearing, I do have a "fix".

It'll seem like hocus pocus and you should have to sacrifice a chicken to make it work, but it does reliably work for me. As long a you don't use the internal media player (the one we're annoyed with) *intentionally* to play music over bluetooth, it should stay working. If you do try that, you'll just have to repeat the procedure again. I tried about 50 things before I got this working, so I hope this procedure works correctly, if not, I have more random steps that I did that I can add to the list, but I think this is the relevant part of it:

Procedure:
Install winamp.
Do not open it.
Go back to the system launcher.
Connect to bluetooth
The annoying system mediaplayer will popup and start playing, resist the urge to punch the wall
Goto the announcements shade
Click on the music icon for the media player
Click the menu button and exit the media player
Enjoy the peace and quiet
Open winamp
Hit the play button on the bluetooth device a few times, about 3 seconds apart.
Each time you click 'play' on your device, you should get a winamp error "No playlist" or something similar.
Quit winamp
Reboot
Connect to bluetooth
-- silence --

So my theory is (again, not knowing much about android) is that Android remembers what app was last playing on bluetooth and directs the Play/Pause/Stop signals to that app. In the case of the media player, that thing is always running, so it reacts to it (and has no feature to DISABLE reacting to it) and starts playing. In the case of winamp, it's NOT running, so the bluetooth messages go to /dev/null.

So this seemed to work great until I went to the media player and intentionally tried to play over bluetooth. Then it was stuck back on media player and I had to repeat the procedure.

If you actually use winamp for playing music, then you may want to use an app other than winamp to catch the bluetooth play signal and dump it to /dev/null. Or maybe winamp has an option to ignore the bluetooth play/stop.

Let me know if that works.

Reactions: BigHAZE
Upvote 0
Is there any way to stop Bluetooth from playing music automatically? I don't want music to start playing when I end a call unless I had it playing when the phone rang. I don't want music to start playing automatically when the Bluetooth connection is first established when I turn on my car and the phone corrects to the car radio. This was never an issue on my iPhone and is the single most annoying thing about this new phone. I love my GS3 and have no plans to get rid of it over something like this but man is this annoying as hell.

I'm the developer of Bluetooth Connect & Play and I may have an App that can help suppress the play. Do you want to Beta test? Email me. My email can be found at that app.
cp2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones