• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bluetooth tethering not working

UncleMike

Android Expert
Nov 15, 2009
Central NJ
Until a few days ago I was using Bluetooth tethering between my Nexus 7 and GSM Galaxy Nexus on an AT&T GoPhone plan to provide the Nexus 7 with an Internet connection when away from Wifi. This was working with no trouble. Early this week I ordered a Nexus 5 and a GSM Developer Edition Moto X. Since the Nexus 5 arrived first, I got a micro SIM at the local AT&T store and has them transfer my account over to that SIM. BT tethering with the Nexus 5 was working fine. Today I got a nano SIM and a new Go Phone account for the Moto X so I can use both actively and hopefully decide which one I like better.

Initially, BT tethering between the Nexus 7 and Moto X did not work - while the Nexus 7 thought it was connected, the Moto X did not show that it was connected, the tethering notification didn't appear, and the Chrome on the Nexus 7 reported that it had no connection when trying to load a web page. I noticed that the APN settings were different between the Nexus 5 and the Moto X, so I created a new APN and duplicated the settings from the Nexus 5. This improved things - the Moto X now shows that it's connected, and the tethering notification appears, but Chrome on the Nexus 7 still reports no connection.

I have Internet Connection Sharing checked under the Nexus 7's bluetooth connection listed on both the Nexus 5 and Moto X, and I've tried restarting the Moto X after making the APN changes.

APN settings on Moto X (original plain, modified bold):

Name: AT&T PHONE Modified
APN: phone
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: Not set http://mmsc.mobie.att.net
MMS Proxy: Not set proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: Not set 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,hipri,dun default,mms,supl,fota
APN Protocol: IPv4
APN roaming protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled (grayed out)
Bearer: Unspecified
MVNO type: None
MVNO value: Not set (grayed out)

Any suggestions on how to make this work, preferably without additional software?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones