• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Boot animation

So I am unhappy how they got rid of the unicorn on aokp boot. I ended up finding a new one and got it to play using the root explorer. But my issue is it came with a sound file too. I would like to use it but I can't figure out what to name it or where to place it. Any one have an idea?

Unless I'm mistaken... you have two options:

/system/media/
/data/local/

rename your files to bootanimation.zip and boot_audio.mp3 if they aren't already... and toss them into one of those two locations. Both files need to go to the same location.

/data/local/ should survive new rom flashes, but will still get reset if you do a factory reset. It also has a priority over /system/media/... so any bootanimation you have in there will be used instead of /system/media allowing you to preserve the default bootanim.

I've never used sound files for animations, so I'm not sure that it will work in /data/local or that the file name is correct. Give it a try though, i'm pretty sure it should work.

Reactions: IMUcarmen
Upvote 0
Sorry about that. Just took a look through stock...

Looks like in stock the boot sound is in:
/system/media/audio/ui/PowerOn.ogg

Not sure if it *needs* to be an ogg file or if it will work with an mp3 there as PowerOn.mp3

The bootanimation.zip still would just go in /system/media though. Its a little odd...

You *might* be able to put it into /data/local/audio/ui/PowerOn.ogg though, not sure how deep it looks. Also, pay attention to the capital letters.

Good luck.

Reactions: IMUcarmen
Upvote 0
Sorry about that. Just took a look through stock...

Looks like in stock the boot sound is in:
/system/media/audio/ui/PowerOn.ogg

Not sure if it *needs* to be an ogg file or if it will work with an mp3 there as PowerOn.mp3

The bootanimation.zip still would just go in /system/media though. Its a little odd...

You *might* be able to put it into /data/local/audio/ui/PowerOn.ogg though, not sure how deep it looks. Also, pay attention to the capital letters.

Good luck.

That shouldn't be necessary. Especially where he is on AOKP.

Upvote 0
That shouldn't be necessary. Especially where he is on AOKP.

Sure, for the boot animation. As far as I know not many thing support the not sound (including aokp's custom boot feature). His problem is more with getting the boot sound to work than the animation. If you read the post above the one you quoted...

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones