• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Boot Loop: Won't Recover, Won't Factory Reset

Cave Giant

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
Took battery out when my phone froze, as I was taking it out, it rebooted. Upon booting up, I discovered it is stuck in a boot loop now. Recovery doesn't work, Factory Reset doesn't work.

Regular user, never messed with anything crazy.

Please help!

Thank you!

***LOCKED***
SHOOTER XC SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-1.57.000
EMMC-boot

I connected via USB and ran RUU Shooter like another thread said. Installation went normal, but turning the phone on after it was finished resulted the same: a boot loop.

The exact file name I ran was:

RUU_Shooter_ICS_35_S_Sprint_WWE_VM_1.13.652.2_Radio_1.06.00.0426_NV_1.53_144_release_262287_signed

Upvote 0
Wow! I just saw this and I'm thinking about it. I'm a little stumped. There shouldn't be a bootloop after the ruu. You did however run the sprint evo 3d ruu rather than the Virgin mobile evo v ruu. There's a good chance though that you would have to do a couple steps to run the VM ruu. One of which would be unlocking the bootloader.

The sprint ruu should work, though mms messaging might be broken.

I would have tried to troubleshoot the factory reset with you, but now that you ran the sprint ruu, we're in a trickier spot.

Are you sure the ruu was successful? Did you see a black screen with silver htc letters and a green status bar? Upon completion the phone should boot up in a factory state.

Can you go back to the bootloader screen and repost the information? I'd just like to see if it has changed and if your bootloader version has changed from 1.57 to 1.58.

Upvote 0
Wow! I just saw this and I'm thinking about it. I'm a little stumped. There shouldn't be a bootloop after the ruu. You did however run the sprint evo 3d ruu rather than the Virgin mobile evo v ruu. There's a good chance though that you would have to do a couple steps to run the VM ruu. One of which would be unlocking the bootloader.

The sprint ruu should work, though mms messaging might be broken.

I would have tried to troubleshoot the factory reset with you, but now that you ran the sprint ruu, we're in a trickier spot.

Are you sure the ruu was successful? Did you see a black screen with silver htc letters and a green status bar? Upon completion the phone should boot up in a factory state.

Can you go back to the bootloader screen and repost the information? I'd just like to see if it has changed and if your bootloader version has changed from 1.57 to 1.58.

I am not sure if the ruu was successful. I saw a silver HTC logo and a green status bar that reached completion. Upon the next boot up, the boot looping remained.

The information on hboot is the same still.

I appreciate your help. Thank you. I am willing to try anything to fix this!

Upvote 0
Sorry for getting back to you so late. Fell asleep last night and haven't really been online today. I realized that I made a mistake last night, missed a detail but you are using the correct ruu.

It sounds like it ran successfully which is odd because you are still in a bootloop. Also, considering it ran, I'm assuming you never took any of the ota updates?

The ruu should really fix the issue. It's kind of odd.

You could try using this version of the ruu: https://copy.com/okNNM

Rename to PG86IMG.zip and place it on the root of your SD card. Reboot into your bootloader and say yes when it asks to update.

Let's start there and see if it helps.

Upvote 0
Sorry for getting back to you so late. Fell asleep last night and haven't really been online today. I realized that I made a mistake last night, missed a detail but you are using the correct ruu.

It sounds like it ran successfully which is odd because you are still in a bootloop. Also, considering it ran, I'm assuming you never took any of the ota updates?

The ruu should really fix the issue. It's kind of odd.

You could try using this version of the ruu: https://copy.com/okNNM

Rename to PG86IMG.zip and place it on the root of your SD card. Reboot into your bootloader and say yes when it asks to update.

Let's start there and see if it helps.

No problem, I'm sorry for the delay.

I did what you asked. It went through the process within hboot. After, it said to press power to reboot. Upon reboot, once again, boot looping.

Upvote 0
I wonder if there's a hardware failure then. :/ Perhaps a memory block that isn't getting written to? Let me ask Scotty to come peak in here and see if he has any further ideas. If it is a hardware issue, I don't know if there is much that can be done short of repair or replacement.

Upvote 0
I wonder if there's a hardware failure then. :/ Perhaps a memory block that isn't getting written to? Let me ask Scotty to come peak in here and see if he has any further ideas. If it is a hardware issue, I don't know if there is much that can be done short of repair or replacement.

Half of me kind of hopes that's the problem. I'll feel less guilty about getting a new phone if it's something I can't fix. Thanks again for your help in all this.

Upvote 0
I heard back from Scotty, he sent me a message after reading through the thread and thinks that it's most likely a hardware issue if a factory reset or the ruu won't fix it. :(

We could attempt running the sprint ruu but you'll likely see the same results... If it did happen to work, mms would be broken so you'd have to probably flash a rom with an mms fix or something.

Considering that the ruu was successful with no error messages, it's looking like a hardware issue though.

If you're interested, you can find the ruu here: http://androidforums.com/cdma-evo-...527-rom-update-utility-ruu-all-downloads.html

You said recovery doesn't work. What if you use fastboot to boot your recovery? If you place the recovery img in the same directory as fastboot and use
fastboot boot recovery.img

[recovery.img being the exact name of the recovery] basically like when you rooted.

Anyway if you boot recovery, try flashing harmonia or another stock rom an see what happens.

Edit: I just realized you haven't rooted? So that last portion of my post may not apply unless you unlock the bootloader and decide to give it a try. Not sure if it would help, but not much to lose...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones