• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bought one on ebay....

May 20, 2011
Good Day All

Patience please - new smartphone user.....

Got a Desire HD on ebay - it wasn't advertised as brown so I'm trying to return it.

However - it is supposedly unlocked, but it turned on as I took it out of the box and one of the first things I saw was a large "3" logo. Since I don't want to remove the plastic sleeve around it, I'd rather not test it by simply insert a new sim and see what happens.

If unlocked, why the carrier's logo? Is there anything I can do via the touchscreen to establish its status?

Other ebay ads include the claim "no logos". Does this mean unlocked?

And whats "rooted"?

Many thanks! - Doug

The phone could still be unlocked as the "3" logo is just part of the firmware (kind of like the operating system). The only way to test is to put in a different sim as far as i know. As far as the brown goes i only noticed this on my phone a month after i bought it as its very subtle in anything but direct sunlight. and its a very dark brown, i personally like it ;-)

Rooted is kind of like being the administrator as it means you can alter things companies would rather you left alone. I.e device speed and type of firmware. Rooting is optional and risky, but opens up a world of possibilities if you take the plunge!!!

Hope this helps!!!

Upvote 0
Brown is totally the new black this season.

What 05needhamn39 says, it may have the network logo on the back of it, but if it's actually unlocked the only way to test would be by putting another networks SIM in. If it's rejected, then you'd have grounds to send it back as it wasn't as advertised. If it's just the colour, apparently Orange do a black version, but the standard model is brown.

Upvote 0
rwireless: Hidden menus in Android phone

"*#*#4636#*#* (*#*#info#*#*)". Read that it doesn't work in Froyo 2.2.1, and not working in Gingerbread either.

Definitely managed to access it. It displays the battery usage in hours..though I found the hack months ago.

Have to do a bit of reading.

Apparently the app Spare Parts can tell you the battery history. http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.androidapps.spare_parts

Other methods: http://androidforums.com/desire-support-troubleshooting/197780-battery-level.html

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones