• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boxwave Anti-Glare Screen Protector

I had no issues with it. Took it back because I didn't like that I couldn't see the screen from all angles. Other then that it worked perfectly.

When I went to take it back the sales rep told me they were having a recall on all of the privacy protectors by 9 am on the release date. I took my privacy protector in there and they handed me a pack of the clear protectors...no questions asked. I felt like it ruined the touch sensitivity, i mean it still worked, but I found myself trying to press things more than once. It also took away the vibrance of the screen to me. JMHO

Upvote 0
It has been noted both in these forums and other places that the screen was designed to be conductive, and that a screen protector would in fact create problems due to the capacitive touch that the phone uses. I believe that the 'official' Moto forums was one of the places that were referred to in other threads, where a Moto official was quoted as saying that the screen did not warrant a protector.

However, it has also been noted that the screen is not 100% scratch proof - at least one person noted that having gritty material in their pocket has led to a scratched screen, and my personal experience with the cheap VZW protector (the non privacy one, the one that does to cover the 'buttons' at the bottom) showed me that the capacitive touch worked perfectly fine with the protector in place.

I have now been using it without a protector for about a solid week+, and I have found that, while the screen sensitivity is a bit better without a protector than with, knowing that there are going to be times when the phone is in my pocket or in another area where the grit could easily get on the surface makes me worry. By a bit better I actually mean that with the protector in place it was very nearly perfect, and without it seems a bit overly sensitive.

I'd rather have the protector than not, you know what I mean?

I completely agree. Also, as long as the film isn't thick, it definitely shouldn't affect use. As someone who works with ipod touchs and iphones frequently, I've seen plenty of screen protectors on them, and the good ones you can't tell at all that its on (with regards to sensitivity). Even anti-glare ones, although it some very rare instances, like angles on a white screen, you can't tell any change in the screen, and looking at pictures/movies etc are just as crystal clear as before. And same for me, I'd rather have a screen protector then no screen protector. Scratching bothers me in the long run, but its the finger prints that make me put it on!

Also, for people that have had BAD experiences with films (except for that legitimate recall it looks like from a few posts up), then either its shoddy quality, or it was applied wrong. They're very difficult to apply, but done right is well worth it. I don't like the ones that use water etc, I much prefer static cling. If power support came out with screens for the droid like it has for the iphone, i'd buy them yesterday.

just my 2 cents!

Upvote 0
I've been contemplating these but I've also been looking at the Clarivue ones.

Motorola Droid Screen Protector from Clarivue

I've used the clarivue on my Storm to great liking so I might try out the Clarivue ones. It's cheaper + you get two of them!

Thanks for posting this... Does anyone else have experience with Clarivue? Boxwave is too expensive and I need 2, so this works out better.

Soulesschild, if you order one, please let me know how it works with the Droid.

EDIT: Went ahead and just ordered one. I used 105191281 for 10% off, and went with the free shipping. Standard UPS was $20 and 2-day UPS was $45! So, my total was $9.89

Upvote 0
I just got my boxwave antiglare protector and loooove the way it feels! it is sooooo much smoother than the screen itself...ZERO STICKINESS... and i feel like it has made the screen even MORE accurate than it was before. i am not so crazy about the discoloration though and the fact that it takes away from some of the sharpness of the screen.

for those of you out there who have had both, how does the feel of the clear one stack up against the feel of the antiglare? i might go for a clear one, but not sure i want to if i have to give up the smoothness of the antiglare.

thanks

Upvote 0
I have boxwave that aren't anti-glare. Worth every penny. Enhances touch responsiveness. Really easy to install and 100% bubble free. Smooth as glass. I've tried InvisibleShield and Ghost Armor. None compare to boxwave.

Enhances sensitivity? Wild. I was just hoping to minimize its loss...

And the color/screen, make it look too much more dull?

Edit: 2 more q's heh.

And how about smudges? Better/worse/the same as glass?

And application? Worried about spending 13$ and blowing it on a bubble.

Upvote 0
Well maybe I was just used to the crappy sensitivity from the other two screen protectors I used before the boxwave. But it really is much better. The clarity is absolutely amazing. I mean it's just a screen protector and I don't want to make it sound like it will work wonder for your phone but it really is nice. The application is very simple. The screen protector is stiff like a business card so you just align it up top and gently let it down. It fits like a glove so you don't even have to try too hard to align it. I had a small dust particle under it when I was installing that looked like a bubble. But I just lifted the screen protector off and removed it and put the screen protector back on. Smudges are probably the same as glass. I don't know what kind of adhesive/application substance they use for the screen protector but it's really cool. Not sticky at all but stays on there nicely. You can remove and reapply easily.

Upvote 0
I'm currently using the plain Verizon protectors(that are pretty decent IMO) but my wife has one of these privacy protectors on her Eris and it's very very nice. It does work as advertised, and doesn't interfere with the touch sensitivity(if it does it's barely noticed). They do take away some of the vibrance of the display(it's not annoying IMO)..but what you get in return is an excelent touch texture to the screen, VERY tough protection, and an extremely easy to clean surface(even with grease smudges).

Upvote 0
I just got my Boxwave yesterday. (In the same mail delivery I also got my back screen decal and my last two verizon rebate cards! It was a very big Verizon day for me.)

I got the clear. As already posted it was VERY easy to install. It was easy to get any bubbles out. It covers the entire screen (including the four buttons.) It was sticky at first because it had some residue from the film that covered it. Once I cleaned it off, it was just as smooth as the glass. I can honestly say that it is not completely smudge-proof but there are WAY fewer smudges today compared to yesterday and I've had to use it a lot more today. I will definitely keep this one.

Upvote 0
Got my Clarivue protectors today. Got the crystal clear one. As with my Storm protectors these work beautifully and are considerably cheaper then the Boxwave ones. It also comes with 2 in case you have 2x droids you need screen protectors for. Install is easy, sensitivity seems the same, all in all, IMO, a better purchase than the boxwaves.

Upvote 0
Holy crap can someone give me some pointers for getting the Boxwave down correctly? I just spent 15 minutes trying to put it on and every time had something get underneath it. I'm somewhat OCD, so I'm not about to just live with a little piece of dust underneath it. Any tips on keeping things from getting underneath and keeping fingerprints off the underside while putting it on?

Upvote 0
Holy crap can someone give me some pointers for getting the Boxwave down correctly? I just spent 15 minutes trying to put it on and every time had something get underneath it. I'm somewhat OCD, so I'm not about to just live with a little piece of dust underneath it. Any tips on keeping things from getting underneath and keeping fingerprints off the underside while putting it on?

Go in your bathroom. Turn on the shower, and set it at hot. Close the door, and wait a few minutes for it to get somewhat steamy inside, and then apply the 'cleaned box' wave - obviously not in the shower, but on the sink or some flat surface away from water.

The steam in the bathroom will knockout every piece of dirt, and what have you in the air.

Upvote 0
Go in your bathroom. Turn on the shower, and set it at hot. Close the door, and wait a few minutes for it to get somewhat steamy inside, and then apply the 'cleaned box' wave - obviously not in the shower, but on the sink or some flat surface away from water.

The steam in the bathroom will knockout every piece of dirt, and what have you in the air.

Wow, awesome advice. I did that, and also took some scotch tape in there to pull the dirt off the sticky side. I put mine down and my wife's Eris in a couple minutes.

THANK YOU!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones