• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Boycott Apple NOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an Ipod touch 32gig gen 3 and basically an iphone minus the camera and phone parts. Its a nice lil thing but limits you on what you can do to it. Apps for Itunes is mostly crap and if I see one more app to make a touch/iphone in to a scale I will scream. This shows apple is in it for the money as they wont pull crap apps like this off their site as long as they make their commission off of it.

I know Steve is trying to make it illegal to jailbreak the touch/iphone. He does act like a spoiled child that dont want to share his toys and gets mad if you do something to them to make it better.

I just got the droid and amazed at what it can do and being new I know thats just the tip of the iceberg of what I am learning. I like it more than my touch. so much so I am thinking about selling my touch as the battery dont last long compare to my droid.

I dont think much will come of this lawsuit as its just a bully picking on a kid. after all if they had a chance of winning they wouldnt mess with the small fry. they would go after the big fish like google.

To show how childish steve job is. I read an article where he banned the name android in the itunes universe. if app makers dont agree with this new rule. then apple pulls your apps off the site. does this remind you of a certain country years ago? Does Russia ring a bell? you see their way of ruling with an iron fist led to its downfall. same will happen with apple. they are just shooting themselves in the foot and soon they will shoot themselves in the head.

in the end you always strive to build a better mouse trap:p

oh didnt bill gates buy back into apple years ago? thought I read that?

Upvote 0
My first Mac was an LCII. My last mac was purchased 2 years ago. I will never purchase another Apple product again.

I'm so disgusted with them, I can't even stand looking at my macbook pro anymore. My wife uses it now, I have migrated to using Ubuntu 100% of the time ever since they started being a patent troll.

I have contemplated smashing it to bits and mailing it to Cupertino.

Upvote 0
I was a Mac user for the most of the first 20 years on my life (dad got an original Mac when I was 4). Loved their OS, hated their hardware (until the G4). As I took TV Broadcasting in college, Final Cut Pro was an amazing tool.

It was around that time (while working for a local computer store) I realized I couldn't afford to upgrade my Mac every few years, and the PC had more games. So I switched, and haven't looked back (though FCP is still the best video editing software out there IMO).

I don't at all like the way Apple has gone with the iPhone. There's closed (Mac), and then there's iPhone closed. After reading the details of the iPhone Developer Agreement and what it took for that agreement to finally get publicized, I can't understand why any developer would take the chance with developing for the iPhone.

This HTC patent suit is just icing on the cake. Frankly, I'd love to see Google buy up Palm, and then strike Apple with a patent infringement suit of their own. Between Google's own patents and those of Palm, I'm pretty sure they could trump Apple.

Upvote 0

iPhone finally gets some real, serious competition (Android), and how does Jobs and Apple respond: they file a lawsuit. Nice...real nice. The Fanboys must be so proud.

And why just pick on HTC? What about Motorola, Samsung and others? Could it have anything to do with the fact that HTC is the maker of Google's own phone, the Nexus One?

Reminds me of an 8 year old, who when he realizes his team is losing its lead, stomps his feet and cries, "It's my football, so it's my rules!"

Grow up Steve, and stop acting like some whiny a$$ bully. :mad:

I say that we HTC Android phone users boycott Apple. Let's send them a message. I for one do not want my phone messed with. And how long have we been waiting for the 2.1 update? We finally get official word that we should ALL be getting it by mid 2010, and then Apple pulls this crap, putting our update and even the status of our current phones at risk.

Don't buy any Apple products or anything from their App Store or iTunes for a day, a week, a ?...

Let's show Apple we won't be bullied. :cool:
@wacrmernc: sold my iphone 3gs and ordering a N1.Never going to touch a iphone or apple products with a ten foot pole.The last straw came when Steve blow job announced that NO protective screen to be allowed on all iphones.Talk about controlling? :mad:

Upvote 0
@wacrmernc: sold my iphone 3gs and ordering a N1.Never going to touch a iphone or apple products with a ten foot pole.The last straw came when Steve blow job announced that NO protective screen to be allowed on all iphones.Talk about controlling? :mad:

Wait what? Did he really say that? What's nexr you can't put a phone condom on it or use third party chargining equipement? Why do people buy that crap...

Upvote 0
Not entirely true.

Nokia were one of the founding firms who developed almost all of what we enjoy on our phones today. As such they have a vast array of patents which amongst the other firms they usually gave freely in return for use of another firms patents.

This worked pretty well until Apple came along.....

Apple would patent air if they could, and charge everyone for using it.
@nx1977;don't speak too loud,S.blow job might hear you,the apples you're eating?He's going to sue all the apple farmers too.The Beatles should sue apple for the apple logo.Hmmmmmmmmmmm?:thinking:

Upvote 0
Wait what? Did he really say that? What's nexr you can't put a phone condom on it or use third party chargining equipement? Why do people buy that crap...
@IOWA;I know,beat myself on the head many times.:thinking: The article is on Iclarify.com and he already did sued a 3rd party charging equipment.He's a bloody Industrial COMMUNIST! a childish one at that.

Upvote 0

From what I read he's pulling all screen covers from the Apple Store (both online and their retail shops). The reasoning is supposed to be that by selling screen covers (whether they be protective, anti-glare, or whatever) it implies to the customer that the screen isn't hardy on it's own.

Stupid reasoning, and I wouldn't be surprised if they make a similar decision regarding cases at some point in the future.

However it's not an outright ban on screen covers, as even Saint Steve doesn't have the power to prevent other retailers from selling such products, nor does he have the power to sue every manufacturer that tries to make one (not that he'd likely have any grounds to stand on even if he tried). It does make it difficult for case manufacturers though, as if they want to be sold directly by Apple, they can't include a screen cover in the package.

Just more stupidity on Apple's part.

Upvote 0
I use Apple products on a daily basis. I love my Macbook Pro, I haven't used a better computer. Can I get a similarly spec-ed computer for less? Yes. Can I get the superior software, better built hardware and excellent customer service? No. I pay for security. I feel the iPhone is better than the N1 is many ways and the N1 is better than the iPhone is certain ways. As fas as the patents, well, that's how it goes. You wouldn't want anyone else to make money on your invention, so why should Apple?

I would never go back to a Windows or Linux machine and I am going to get the iPad.

Thanks to certain Apple invention computing is what it is today - pointing devices, PDA, All-in-one computers and the iPhone-like devices (which includes the N1 and numerous other Android devices).

I hate threads like these. Don't hate!

Upvote 0
I use Apple products on a daily basis. I love my Macbook Pro, I haven't used a better computer. Can I get a similarly spec-ed computer for less? Yes. Can I get the superior software, better built hardware and excellent customer service? No.

You mean the identical hardware? Macs have been using Intel chips and ATI GPUs just like everyone else for a good long while now. Oooh, real great paying twice as much for that and not even be able to choose what you want/don't want in your machine. Superior software? Because it looks prettier and soothingly pats your back while telling you that you're a unique and special snowflake? Okay. That's about all that I can think of as far as "superior" software goes--the Apple marketing that deludes you into thinking that using their products makes you an amazing individual who "thinks different." Except you think and act just like any other Apple fanboy, of course.

I pay for security.

You pay to make up for your lack of computer knowledge. There's a difference. A knowledgeable user would be able to use any software and not suffer from malware/etc attacks; a dumb one could be using a slab of rock and still break it.

Upvote 0
You mean the identical hardware? Macs have been using Intel chips and ATI GPUs just like everyone else for a good long while now. Oooh, real great paying twice as much for that and not even be able to choose what you want/don't want in your machine. Superior software? Because it looks prettier and soothingly pats your back while telling you that you're a unique and special snowflake? Okay. That's about all that I can think of as far as "superior" software goes--the Apple marketing that deludes you into thinking that using their products makes you an amazing individual who "thinks different." Except you think and act just like any other Apple fanboy, of course.

You pay to make up for your lack of computer knowledge. There's a difference. A knowledgeable user would be able to use any software and not suffer from malware/etc attacks; a dumb one could be using a slab of rock and still break it.

When I say security, I don't mean viruses. I mean that I am not getting a cheap plastic body hardware that wouldn't last me even a year. Nor am I a software that makes me want to pull my hair out. Nor am I getting horrible customer support from people who want to blame the problem on someone else.

I can choose what I want on my computer, I can run Mac, Windows and Linux on the same computer and have support for all. No other computer allows me that flexibility or functionality. As far as hardware is concerned, no one allows you to choose processors or graphic cards. You can change processor speeds, RAM, HDD and you can do that with Apple as well.

Yes, I think Apple computers look amazing, but it doesn't stop there unlike HP Envy or the new Dell which are just a rip-off of the MacBook Air and MacBook. Every second smartphone on the market is an iPhone rip-off and they can never get even remotely close to the success of the iPhone.

And Apple software is superior and that is the reason the iPhone sold more and is selling more that other phones. And I can bet that you have never used an Apple computer on a regular basis, because if you did you'd know the difference.

What you choose is your choice and your opinion and I'm not here to mock that. I find Apple machines more to my suited to my needs. And, I am not computer-illeterate, I am a 4th year Computer Engineering student and I have used a lot of different computers and phones. And I choose my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 3G S over all.

Just because I choose and support something different doesn't make me a fanboy.

You are just ignorant.

Upvote 0
I use Apple products on a daily basis. I love my Macbook Pro, I haven't used a better computer. Can I get a similarly spec-ed computer for less? Yes. Can I get the superior software, better built hardware and excellent customer service? No. I pay for security. I feel the iPhone is better than the N1 is many ways and the N1 is better than the iPhone is certain ways. As fas as the patents, well, that's how it goes. You wouldn't want anyone else to make money on your invention, so why should Apple?

I would never go back to a Windows or Linux machine and I am going to get the iPad.

Thanks to certain Apple invention computing is what it is today - pointing devices, PDA, All-in-one computers and the iPhone-like devices (which includes the N1 and numerous other Android devices).

I hate threads like these. Don't hate!
LOL on paying for security with Apple...

Macs are the first to fall in hacking contests, and Apple fails to update security holes for months at a time. They are the worst in this regard.

Upvote 0

Macs are the first to fall in hacking contests, and Apple fails to update security holes for months at a time. They are the worst in this regard.

Indeed. The only reason they appear safer, is because most hackers can't be bothered with writing code to exploit 5-8% of the computers there are, when they could hit the rest just as easily.

With that said, grainysand, don't feed the trolls! ;p

Upvote 0

Um, I sell the screen guard, mirror guards, privacy guards, and other guards for the iphone. :D As well as silicons, chargers, plastic cases, and even batteries sometimes.(Voids the warrenty on the phone with the battery)

Apple computers use efi-64. PCs are still on 4-16 bit bios rom chip that range from 512kb to 1024kb.
Apple motherboards are not designed like a PC motherboard, instead logic boards have a thicker pcb, more resistors, and still uses less power compared to PC motherboards.
The GPUs are the same, but the video cards for macs also use efi chips that give it a lot more flexibility.
Apple uses high quality aluminum, metal, plastic, etc for their hardware.
Apple also is fast to create standards and use standards in their OS, such as Open CL and CUDA.(Only a few firms support CUDA on windows through Nvidia, as long as the gpu is nvidia, snow leopard supports Cuda in the OS through Open CL)
The super drives inside Macs have more than 1 laser.
And a mac user still 9/10 times still don't have to worry about this at all, even if the user is dumb or smart. Did I also mention that Os X is 64-bit aside from the versions running on Core duo and Core Solo cpus?

When I say security, I don't mean viruses. I mean that I am not getting a cheap plastic body hardware that wouldn't last me even a year. Nor am I a software that makes me want to pull my hair out. Nor am I getting horrible customer support from people who want to blame the problem on someone else.
As there are bad brands out there for computers, there are good ones. The XPS series from Dell is pretty good. HP Workstations aregreat, Optiplex towers are pretty sturdy, and then you get the parts for computers. Example, I only build computers with Gigabyte, Asus, and EVGA motherboards, and I only use Corsair memory so I have low timings at low voltages, and I only buy Zalman and Scythe coolers for the cpu, I only buy Western digitial or Seagate hard disks, DVD roms and burners I don't care about because they are so cheap. CPU, I like both Intel and AMD, but I can afford AMD at a low price with high performance still. I have my x3 435 Athlon II at 3.7 ghz with a small voltage boost. The multiplier isn't even unlocked. Video cards, I choose either Nvidia or ATI, but I'm picky with brands with them. Sapphire, EVGA, BFG, XFX, and powercolor are the only partners I buy video cards from. I know they use high end parts, and put the video cards together with great quality. So not all prebuilt, and custom PC's are bad like you make it out to be.
I can choose what I want on my computer, I can run Mac, Windows and Linux on the same computer and have support for all. No other computer allows me that flexibility or functionality. As far as hardware is concerned, no one allows you to choose processors or graphic cards. You can change processor speeds, RAM, HDD and you can do that with Apple as well.
Osx86 can boot snow leopard up with vanilla kernel on Core 2 or higher. Other than that, just get a patched kernel and Os X can run on any machine with sse2. And most companies do offer different processors, hard drives, ram, etc. The same way Mac does. They just give you the next model up.

Yes, I think Apple computers look amazing, but it doesn't stop there unlike HP Envy or the new Dell which are just a rip-off of the MacBook Air and MacBook.
The HP envy looks a lot like the Macbook Pro, but they aren't rip-offs. It's not "ripping off" when you're creating a slimmer notebook. If that's the case, Ford rips off of Dodge for having red cars.
Every second smartphone on the market is an iPhone rip-off and they can never get even remotely close to the success of the iPhone.
Major companies don't rip off anything. Small chinese ones that create the look alikes do, but major ones like HTC, Samsung, Blackberry(Though I'm not a fan of Blackberry), Nokia, etc etc don't. Apple wasn't even the first one with a mobile phone with a screen out. The Ipaq was. The Ipaq is also from HP from awhile ago. But I don't know what you mean about the success of the Iphone. It's a great phone, don't get me wrong. But the Droid has easily risen up fast, as well as the rest of the whole Android platform. Even Palm WebOS is growing faster than the Iphone is now. I like the Iphone, but I feel that platforms like Android, Webos, and Maemo are all more effective than the Iphone.

And Apple software is superior and that is the reason the iPhone sold more and is selling more that other phones. And I can bet that you have never used an Apple computer on a regular basis, because if you did you'd know the difference.
Apple software is superior in their own fields. Os X excels in video and audio creation. Iphone is great for software integration. But Flash is a no(Webos is suppose to be getting flash soon, as well as Android, and Maemo might have it already, but don't quote me on this) But that's about it. Business needs have always been pointed towards Windows.( Look how many windows machines there are in businesses. Computers for money, for adressing, computers for cash registers) Look at how many machines still run Windows XP. I also look at it like this, an Imac G4 running Leopard has a lot of speed issues with Flash. I know this, because my dad still has his g4 1.25 ghz Imac. While, I have an Optiplex gx60 running windows 7 that has does flash with no issues. A lot of open source, and even close source products support Windows 10x more than they do Mac os X. For good reason, since you said yourself that you can boot windows on your machine. For gaming, Windows easily. A lot of game ports aside from ID games and some Activision games use Cider, which is Wine from Linux. They aren't real ports, and a lot of games aren't ported. Yeah, Steam is on Mac now, but only source engine games right now with that.

What you choose is your choice and your opinion and I'm not here to mock that.
Yes, I think Apple computers look amazing, but it doesn't stop there unlike HP Envy or the new Dell which are just a rip-off of the MacBook Air and MacBook. Every second smartphone on the market is an iPhone rip-off and they can never get even remotely close to the success of the iPhone.
This, I do agree with. It doesn't make you a fanboy because you like something. Even if it does, who cares? People put too many labels on people fast.

As he said, he's paying for the security of the build quality. Plus, a lot of other unix and Win NT kernel bases OSes have huge holes. Internet Explorer has had one from Vista to 7. Plus, Apple doesn't leave them unpatched. With how many big update packages the OS gets a lot is what patches them.

Long boring post I made lol.

And also, here's Android versus Iphone in the market now. Android went up, Iphone went down.
http://www.cultofmac.com/android-marketshare-grows-while-iphone-market-shrinks/32402

In my opinion, I still feel WebOS is one of the best platforms out there. Too bad Palm is only using it on their own hardware...Damn Palm.

Reactions: i.mac
Upvote 0

What you choose is your choice and your opinion and I'm not here to mock that. I find Apple machines more to my suited to my needs. And, I am not computer-illeterate, I am a 4th year Computer Engineering student and I have used a lot of different computers and phones. And I choose my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 3G S over all.

You are just ignorant.

If your a "4th year computer engineering student" perhaps you should ask for your money back. seriously. I know for a fact with some manufacturers, you can completely customize what goes in your box. Apple software is complete crap. Don't you think its funny flash runs just fine on EVERY OTHER os besides mac crap? I *have* used apple computers (G4 and G5) and we actually ran benchmark tests against nearly identacle specced pcs running photoshop commands and filters on large files. Guess who won? Oh, right, PC did.

I have built, used, fixed thousands of pc's, and have no "CS" degree. IT programs these days are a joke. Most people getting into IT are in it for the money, and not the love of tech, so they suck at it.

Also don't you think its funny most of the top end aftermarket hardware won't work with mac osx?

And the reason iphone sold more and is popular is they dumbed down a smartphone enough so even the barbaric can use them. What's superior about that? Team that in with riding the ipods success and some marketing there ya go. But now iphone is starting to fail, because people are wising up. Just like apple failed miserably in the pc wars of the 80s and 90s.

And the last time I checks, steel frame boxes out last apples over sensitive molded plastic any day of the week.

Anything else?

Upvote 0
Actually apple *no longer* does video/audio better than pc. They did for a brief stint, due to exclusive software from 3rd parties and not apple in itself by *any* means.

That has changed, however, and for the last 10 years or so, those same developers (adobe etc) realized if they made products for the pc instead, it would be better for their bottom line..

That leads me to the current adobe - apple fiasco. For the longest time adobe catered to apple only, then apple first, pc second. We all know photoshop illustrator are the best of the best, and apple certainly had the edge there for a while with multimedia. That however, has changed. Adobe is catering to pc first, apple second. Apple feels betrayed, and won't let adobe work well on their platforms anymore as sort of an "eff you" mentality. That is why apple won't let adobe access the gpu on mac osx, and why flash won't be on the ipad iphone etc. Granted this is speculation, but a very good one I think.

Upvote 0
That's because Adobe pissed off Apple, or vise versa. The Adobe chairman use to be on the Board of Directors for Apple, I also remember seeing somewhere that Adobe has stated that Flash is ready for the Iphone. But Steve's love for HTML 5 is going to be his downfall.

But I know a lot of people with studios that use Apple products, and have said every time that software for macs just seem to create a more fluid environment for music production. Plus, a lot of cg renders that are done in Open GL go with Mac, since Mac is Open GL based. ATI has already specified Open GL 4. :D

And I'm not saying that Apple is bad, or better than most PC companies out there. I'm saying, that Apple is a pretty decent company. But, I can easily find alternatives that are cheaper, and work just as nice if not better. Before I had my phones, I had a Zune 30 that I put an 80gb hard drive in as well as an extended battery. Worked great, I miss it.

Upvote 0
Yeah but steves "love" of html 5 is purely based off his hatred for adobe, atm. And I bet the people you know that do multimedia editing went to some sort of school, and that schools has deals with apple for severely subsidized machines, ergo their comfort for apple when it comes to this task. Like going from photoshop on a pc to apple, I find it annoying, as a lot of the shortcuts, (right click anyone?) And stuff are differnet, and hinders the process. Same goes vice versa.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones