• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Upgrade or service loss deadline approaching

codezer0

Android Expert
Jan 23, 2013
Arizona
Well, damn it. Now I'm in a pickle.

Got one of those cursed letters saying that our phone(s) are going to lose service if we don't upgrade by July. Which sucks for me because, I work in public schools, so Summer is the worst time of year regarding income. Even if I can get something lined up, I never make as much as I do during the normal school year.

Anyways, it was the wife's phone afflicted first; within a week of its (the letters') arrival, she could no longer get a signal at work. To survive in the meantime, she's since taken to borrowing my old(er) lg g4 to still get signal. She still keeps my note 4, because good stylus and she likes using the drawing apps from time to time.

Seeing that happen, already has me seeing the metaphorical writing on the wall with my phone.

So, here's how it breaks down.

The wife, simply, doesn't like either android or iOS. She still laments the loss of her Windows phone to not being able to buy a replacement battery when hers started to swell finally after some years of service. She only tolerated the note 4, because, I had since rooted and flashed resurrection remix on it; the customizability let her set it up to at least appeal to her workflow. And she hates the g4 because I literally can't root it (all relevant download links on XDA are dead).

That said, her job doesn't mind if she brings an outlet or power bank and she can stash them in her bag to go out and about. She at least has so far said she might just pick up a secondhand surface phone to get that back.

As for myself, well, I'm a lot pickier. A phone for me, is first and foremost a utility tool. And needs to be as reliable as such. A typical working day has me out of the house, and away from an outlet, for about twelve hours a day. And that's not including the occasional field trip. Either way, I end up with hours where I got eff all else to do. With the aux port on my car, I use the headphone jack daily. I try to set up the phone to move media and downloads to the SD card so I can migrate them about wherever or however I need to. And I've been burned too many times on "mainstream" and budget phones not even being able to install Pokémon go, for instance; or crash while running it. It's not an exaggeration to say, that 10+ hours of screen on per charge is about enough to make it through a normal working day for me. Obviously, more is better.

I don't even like buying phones every other year, much less every week like phone makers apparently want me to do. I'm also not exaggerating when I say I've had nothing but disastrous and outright dangerous experiences with sealed battery phones; anything I could've said positively about any of them disappear the moment the battery wants to fuss. And I've never forgotten how awful the moto x pure was. If not for YouTube constantly crashing my v20, I would've attempted to ride it out.

If it's a sealed battery phone, I basically don't want to spend any serious amount of money on it. Honestly, the only such that were ever "tolerable", was because they were cheap; like $50 with taxes, cheap. As soon as I'm in triple digits for a phone, I'm inclined to think of it as an investment. And why would I invest in a design that I know ahead of time is going to piss me off? If it ever reached four digits? At that point... I'd rarhwr just switch back to a landline and use the money for a gaming notebook. Even with the meme of poor battery life, I'd get much more mileage out of a suitably strong notebook than I ever will out of a phone.

Or to put it another way, if I can't justify four digits for a GPU that I know I would use every single day (for some years), why the hell would I spend that on a phone to disappoint me?

Well, damn it. Now I'm in a pickle.

Got one of those cursed letters saying that our phone(s) are going to lose service if we don't upgrade by July. Which sucks for me because, I work in public schools, so Summer is the worst time of year regarding income. Even if I can get something lined up, I never make as much as I do during the normal school year.

Anyways, it was the wife's phone afflicted first; within a week of its (the letters') arrival, she could no longer get a signal at work. To survive in the meantime, she's since taken to borrowing my old(er) lg g4 to still get signal. She still keeps my note 4, because good stylus and she likes using the drawing apps from time to time.

Seeing that happen, already has me seeing the metaphorical writing on the wall with my phone.

So, here's how it breaks down.

The wife, simply, doesn't like either android or iOS. She still laments the loss of her Windows phone to not being able to buy a replacement battery when hers started to swell finally after some years of service. She only tolerated the note 4, because, I had since rooted and flashed resurrection remix on it; the customizability let her set it up to at least appeal to her workflow. And she hates the g4 because I literally can't root it (all relevant download links on XDA are dead).

That said, her job doesn't mind if she brings an outlet or power bank and she can stash them in her bag to go out and about. She at least has so far said she might just pick up a secondhand surface phone to get that back.

Maybe a used Windows phone, if that's actually still usable and can connect, or a feature phone, if those are still available?

I've never actually seen or tried a Windows Phone device. Even the local Microsoft Store just had dummy WP devices on show with cardboard screens. And if I actually wanted to buy one, they had to order it in. Microsoft failed big time marketing the things. Rather like the Zune, I never saw one of them either.

As for myself, well, I'm a lot pickier. A phone for me, is first and foremost a utility tool. And needs to be as reliable as such. A typical working day has me out of the house, and away from an outlet, for about twelve hours a day. And that's not including the occasional field trip. Either way, I end up with hours where I got eff all else to do. With the aux port on my car, I use the headphone jack daily. I try to set up the phone to move media and downloads to the SD card so I can migrate them about wherever or however I need to. And I've been burned too many times on "mainstream" and budget phones not even being able to install Pokémon go, for instance; or crash while running it. It's not an exaggeration to say, that 10+ hours of screen on per charge is about enough to make it through a normal working day for me. Obviously, more is better.

#FirstWorldProblems : Can't play Pokémon Go :)

Really? Is that actually still a thing? Wonder if I can still install and play Angry Birds? :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe a used Windows phone, if that's actually still usable and can connect, or a feature phone, if those are still available?

I've never actually seen or tried a Windows Phone device. Even the local Microsoft Store just had dummy WP devices on show with cardboard screens. And if I actually wanted to buy one, they had to order it in. Microsoft failed big time marketing the things. Rather like the Zune, I never saw one of them either.

#FirstWorldProblems : Can't play Pokémon Go :)

Really? Is that actually still a thing? Wonder if I can still install and play Angry Birds?
If I was even going to try to get one now, I'd be trying to get a lumia 950 or 950 xl for her, or similar flagship level one. Not seen any show up anywhere. not swappa, not ebay, nada.

And she too also plays Pokemon Go; not sure if it has been updated yet, but with it and the Home app, you can then migrate caught pokemon from Go into the newer core games on the Switch. I know for myself, linking it with let's go eevee let me nearly 100% the pokedex without having to bother anyone else for trades.

I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but yes, between the both of us, it not being able to install and run Pokemon Go is a deal breaker; more for her now, but I digress.

Still doesn't solve my problem of what to even look at, after this V20. At least from my own searching, the only phone with a 5G radio and a removable battery, is the Fairphone 4. Doesn't have all the 5G bands that t-mobile has to itself, and should have retailed for $600 USD if it was properly sold here. However, Amazon wants to charge $1200 for it, last I checked into it.

Failing a 5G radio, there's the xcover pro. But I'm not getting anywhere near that unless I can put an extended battery in. Samsung's batteries are just ticking (literal) bombs, end of.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
If I was even going to try to get one now, I'd be trying to get a lumia 950 or 950 xl for her, or similar flagship level one. Not seen any show up anywhere. not swappa, not ebay, nada.

And she too also plays Pokemon Go; not sure if it has been updated yet, but with it and the Home app, you can then migrate caught pokemon from Go into the newer core games on the Switch. I know for myself, linking it with let's go eevee let me nearly 100% the pokedex without having to bother anyone else for trades.

I know you're trying to be sarcastic, but yes, between the both of us, it not being able to install and run Pokemon Go is a deal breaker; more for her now, but I digress.

Maybe sarcasm. But I've not heard mention of Pokémon Go for quite a few years now, and I presume Niantic are actually still supporting it then. I know Niantic also did a Harry Potter game, that played similar to Pokémon Go, which apparently was discontinued.

BTW I did just watch a six year old YT video of someone fruitlessly trying to play it here. :D...no Pokémon to be found in the PRC.

Of course I can't give you advice of the most suitable phones for you, as I'm not in the US, and so have no real ideas about T-Mobile or whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I would suggest a couple of things due to your work situation and useage habits.

Bare with me here, as it nay not be exactly what you think you want- but it is what I have done for quite some time.

Ask your provider if they are providing free devices to existing customers that are being forced to change devices.
(They are. They ALL are.)
I have done this for myself and others multiple times.
You will spend some frustrating time with a person who speaks your language at work and nowhere else, but it is worth it.

Now, granted, this device is going to be a turd.
A digital turd.
But, it will accomplish two things:

First, it is a working phone. That is the foremost issue right now.

Second, it is free. This will allow you to perform the second part of 'my plan' at very little cost or investment.

The next step is to go to somewhere like Wal-Mart, and buy a device suitable for your games.
Right now I am looking at one for $40 that has 3GB RAM and 32GB internal memory, with SD capability of 512GB.
Will such a device be locked into some provider like Straight Talk?
Yes, but I am not buying service from them.

I am only purchasing a device at a great discount and then never buying service.

It will work brilliantly on wi-fi, and I can use a hotspot with the other (phone) device if I have to.

The battery life of my phone device will not be affected by my games, and the use of my phone will not affect my gaming device.

Another great part of this is that the device I purchase will cost little more than a replacement battery.

Battery dies?
New cheap gaming device, likely with better stats for the same price.

Battery in the 'phone' device dies?
These usually have a one year warranty, and will be replaced free of charge.
Otherwise, the device can be replaced rather cheaply.

If it lasts until money is flowing better, go ahead and think about an unlocked device of your choice at that point.

I have had my current gaming device for less than a year, and already I can get another with a bigger screen, more RAM, and a bigger battery.

This is a simple way to make a crappy situation better without much investment.

Upvote 0
Fair point, it is somewhat sensible for cost up front. I just can't help but to feel as if it's just adding clutter to carry around at all times.

However, unless by some miracle, some phone maker wises up and makes a true modern replacement for this v20, I really don't see anything else I could do. Doesn't help that work is now requiring 2FA to access email, so they want to be able to text or call to validate signing in.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
Yes, everything is becoming more annoying.

I too suffer from the 'adding clutter to carry around' syndrome.

I hate wearing coats.
On outside, off inside- reapeat again and again.
I hate wearing gloves.
On, off. Where are they? Where is the other one? Repeat until gone and/or exasperated.
I hate pockets. Pants hanging/pulling down- things in pockets. Where is my wallet? Pants pocket? Coat pocket? Other side?
Shirt pockets? Everytime I bend over everything falls out.

Oh, winter is over?
Less clothes equals less pockets. Finally get organized, and now I have to make do with less than half as many pockets.

At least I am not dragging around a coat and gloves, but now I am uncomfortably holding other things that I have to cart around.

Don't even get me started on keys.
Damn those things.
Pokey, stabby things in pockets.
Until you need them, then it's 'what pocket are my keys in' time again.

So I finally got a bag.
A work bag, like for tools.
Everything goes into the bag.
A small enough bag to limit myself as to what I can carry.

Gloves, wallet, extra ammo, a sandwich or two, a phone or two, and keys.

If I need to, I just dump it rather than dig through it.
(Ladies, take note of this.)

Works great for a while.
Then I notice something.
It is dirty from work, so it is spreading filth from work everywhere else.
Car, home, everywhere.

Aggrevated me gets another work bag, washes the smaller one, and now that is my 'days off' bag.

I have to have a separate bag for work because of the filth at work.

Which bag is my wallet in?
Damnit!
Here we go again!

Upvote 0
Now, at one point while camping, I did have a bag that was just big enough for two phones, external batteries for each, and charging apparatus for all of it.

It was an old camera bag, like for a VHS-C camcorder or similar.

Small, with handles and a strap.
I loathe straps, but you carry lots of stuff when camping, and I hate making multple trips from the car to the site.

Goodwill can be a good place to pick up stuff like this.

Upvote 0
Update for anyone that cares...

T-Mobile doesn't like wife's g4, either. And she doesn't like it because, without even a semi current android ROM to run on it, she can't even install her Bank's app to monitor her balances on it. It wouldn't have been as much of a problem if rooted. But the internet being what it is, endlessly parrots that XDA is where to go. But XDA file links are all dead and broken. Even if I got past this, it's supposedly not compatible, either.

And now not only is my v20 sometimes trying to induce a crash to delete YouTube on me, but will just straight shut down like it's overheating. And we're not even in sued yet. What the hell?

Looking around, Amazon won't sell a fair phone 4 for less than $900, approximately 50+% above its intended msrp. I'm seeing an Oukitel wp15 with a battery capacity I would feel safe with, but of course it's not compatible. And because it's not popular, nobody wants to root it.

Like whose heads need to be caved in so I can have a good phone again? Let alone one that is affordable?

Upvote 0
Okay, is there any reason why this phone wouldn't work on t-mobile? Amazon keeps advertising it to me, and given it's advertising a capacity bigger than I've usually seen for extended batteries in the first place, I really don't see anything normally offered by t-mobile itself that would satisfy me otherwise. But so many of the earlier models they just flat out refused to accept at all. The only other thing is, I would have to figure out how to root it. And seems like XDA and gsmarena want to act like it doesn't exist, which isn't a good sign, either.

Angry as I am with gsmarena on that regard, or refusing to acknowledge the Fairphone 4, what they instead point me to, is another Samsung with a sealed (a.k.a. murder) battery.

From the looks of it, seems the wife is going to go with a moto g20 power, since she (understandably) doesn't want to spend $1100 for a Surface Duo 2.

Upvote 0
You really have to ask T-Mobile if the device will work.

Also, are you absolutely sure that T-Mobile suits your cellular needs?

I find no rhyme or reason for their mostly absent cellular service.

A town of ~25,000 people will have less than subpar coverage (basically ziltch), whereas a town of ~5,000 people has good coverage.
(Not making this up at all, this is my actual and present experience.)

Seriously thinking of just not having cellular service at all - as if I have to drive to a tower to make a phone call, I might just as well drive to someplace with free wi-fi.

Upvote 0
You really have to ask T-Mobile if the device will work.

Also, are you absolutely sure that T-Mobile suits your cellular needs?

I find no rhyme or reason for their mostly absent cellular service.

A town of ~25,000 people will have less than subpar coverage (basically ziltch), whereas a town of ~5,000 people has good coverage.
(Not making this up at all, this is my actual and present experience.)

Seriously thinking of just not having cellular service at all - as if I have to drive to a tower to make a phone call, I might just as well drive to someplace with free wi-fi.
Putting it bluntly, the company coverage maps make it look like a wash from the big three, but I definitely pay way less for two lines with T-mo, than I would with AT&T or Verizon.

Based on this cheat-sheet of bands, the Oukitel WP15 should be more compatible with AT&T and Verizon (n5 & n77), but the sales page insists that it would (partially) support T-mobile's 5G more than AT&T. On the flip side, according to said list, it would have a good number of bands for LTE, at least.

Though now, the thing that would have me hold off on buying it, is... I need to be able to root it. I never would have got as much mileage out of my v20 as I have, if not for that. The G4 the wife is using is proof of how miserable it'd be if I couldn't have rooted the phone. And because everyone wants to treat XDA like it's the sole source of everything regarding root, well... it is what it is.

At least with the wife finding something she could feasibly live with, I'm hedging my bets in the meantime and getting a fresh battery for my V20.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well, wife got the moto g20 since the instructions to root seemed simple enough. But while I was trying to figure out why the process wasn't taking, she was using it and it updated itself past the required patch level. So, well, that one wasn't my fault.

More irritating, is that T-Mobile is still sending marketing like even *that* phone is still incompatible. Which, if it is, considering she spent her tax return to get it, I would understand if she was pissed off when July rolls around and suddenly no signal.

I'm just hoping I don't also end up sharing such an outcome, too.

Upvote 0
Why not have them send you a free replacement device?

You don't really have to use it (I have done this very thing) and the notices may very well stop.

Phone companies are notoriously bad at internal communications (go figure) and so the department that knows what device you are using only knows what device you got from them last- or something like that.

I got my first smartphone for free from AT&T when the technology changed.
I put the SIM from the new device into my old phone and continued to use it for 3 more years, lmao. I was lucky that time, but that free smartphone never linked to a cellular tower for a call.

That was a Wi-Fi only device, and the beginning of my Android adventure.

Anyway, because they send you a device, the department that keeps giving you notices may be updated as to the new device, and leave you alone.

This maycalso come in handy as a backup, in case the demise of your current device(s) service life is indeed imminent.
Or if anything else hapens for that matter.

Plus, FREE DEVICE.
Battery powered paperweight, if nothing else!

Upvote 0
It's only freemium; as in, they want a two year contract with it. And well, for as long as I've been alive, no phone I've got through such a contract, has ever even survived the first year, let alone the second.

If experience has taught me anything, the phone *will* either fail to hold a charge, or fail to hold a signal by the start of the second year. I'll get upset and want a fix, they will insist I have to buy an entire new phone, while still obligated to pay for this one. And that will just infuriate me enough to leave.

If there was any meaningful alternative, I'd gladly ditch. The power to walk away was one reason that I've grown to appreciate unlocked phones. But since they're all made like trash now, it also conflicts with how I don't want to spend money on a phone design, designed to piss me off.

Upvote 0
Well, willed myself to visit another t-mobile store to see what they had to offer. Was expecting to see more of the same, sealed battery slabs.

Before my mind caught up to the fact that the dude actually listened without trying to re-but me on the misery that I've experienced with sealed phones, he did actually have some suggestions, from what they were aware of in the store. At first, there was the notion of something called the Sonim XP3 Plus, and then brought out what might have been a returned CAT S22 Flip. Have to admit, I rather liked the look of the chonky thing. Seems to be a flip phone, running Android. Disappointed with the lack of a headphone jack, but a very plain to swap out battery gives me some hope for it, especially if I can root it. And at least that store is one where I could buy the thing in full. If I can root it, and be able to have an extended battery for it, the price is definitely right.

That said, he also did clue me in on a phone maker called RedMagic, since they seem to be tailored to more gamer-centric phones. Not something I've really thought about, since I'd still rather have a gaming capable notebook if at all possible.

Upvote 0
It's only freemium; as in, they want a two year contract with it. And well, for as long as I've been alive, no phone I've got through such a contract, has ever even survived the first year, let alone the second.

If experience has taught me anything, the phone *will* either fail to hold a charge, or fail to hold a signal by the start of the second year. I'll get upset and want a fix, they will insist I have to buy an entire new phone, while still obligated to pay for this one. And that will just infuriate me enough to leave.

If there was any meaningful alternative, I'd gladly ditch. The power to walk away was one reason that I've grown to appreciate unlocked phones. But since they're all made like trash now, it also conflicts with how I don't want to spend money on a phone design, designed to piss me off.

Why do you continue to get new contracts?

You do realize that even after your contract is over, you can continue your monthly payments and service without having a contract?

They are still required to provide service- and devices when technology changes.

I have been playing that game with AT&T since about 2003.

I bought my first phone, then the second when analog was phased out.

When the tech changed again, I had no funds and so ignored the notices that my device would no longer work.

After multiple notices, imagine my surprise when a free, refurbished device showed up.
Well, they did that like 2 more times over time.

Then I bought another device because I wanted a BlackBerry knockoff- it was only $30.

That is the 2G that was (luckily) 3G compatible one I mentioned before.

I used that thing until early this year, when AT&T yet again sent me another free phone.

Is it great?

No, but it works.

Upvote 0
Again, there's no such thing as a *good* phone anymore, anywhere.

The closest thing in capacity worth trying is that oukitel. But I still can't get an imei or whatever it is to affirm if it is compatible or not.

Samsung makes that A42 and at least in the store, T-Mobile offers the a53... For more money. And it still feels like a cheap turd not even worth a third of the asking price.

Not even the offered *freemium phones* can be rooted to at least make them suck less. The only store that even had a pixel 6 to see and touch, it felt overly flimsy... But I've come to expect that level of crap build quality from google endorsed phone. The only saving grace is that XDA had a root guide up like a week before it was on the market.

Every carrier wants to do a two year contract, for a one month phone. And now, no phone maker here wants to even offer anything that would actually effing last, to warrant the absurd asking prIce.

Upvote 0
Why not get pre-pay service with an unlocked phone?
Nobody is making a phone that ticks all the boxes, at any price point.

I bought this v20 secondhand to begin with and the mileage I got was amazing.

With phones now, they're all such a downgrade that I just cannot justify spending any money, much less their asking price most of the time. And for me to be able to tolerate them for the long term, I need root on top of it. I'm sick of it being a meme that a stock phone keeps lying about being "out of space" when it has more than half its internal storage empty, because it wants to make Facebook and tiktok into effing system apps you can't uninstall. Or how google itself has blocked every modular project since the inception of android.

Upvote 0
Well, now my phone seems to be having an issue where it's just flat out refusing to send text messages or receive incoming calls. Which is immediately becoming a big problem.

Rather than fix my Sim, the idiots at the store just want me to get a new phone. But again, nothing they have on offer is even worth any kind of promotion, let alone the asking prices listed.

I don't know what to do anymore about this.

Upvote 0
This is what I have been telling you would happen.
Next to go will be calling.

As far as the crAPPS that are automatically installed the first time you connect to the internet, the way around this is fairly straightforward, although tedious.

First, get a new SD card, and format it in an Android device.
Place the apk for NoRoot Firewall onto the SD card.
You may also choose to include apks from other apps that you know you are going to want on the new device.

After that, get the new phone, remove the SIM card, and put the SD card into the proper place, and then turn it on.

Skip and ignore all the set up crap, and refuse to turn on wi-fi or data, and keep going until you reach the home screen.

Install NoRoot Firewall first (you probably have to use that horrid Files app to do so- which means granting the files and media along with install apps permissions- be sure to revoke these and disable the app if possible after installing a better file manager app) and use NoRoot to block EVERYTHING to start with.
Be sure to have it start on boot.
Set your VPN settings to always use NoRoot Firewall and to require the VPN for all connections.

After you get the device customized to your preferences- by disabling any Google Play Store, Google, etc. (Google Play Services may need to stay), and any other undesired junk, you can then turn on wi-fi service and continue your set-up.

These pestilence apps are force fed via Google to the device.
By blocking them from doing so at the point of set-up, you stop the install altogether.

Interestingly, I have a couple of apps that show that there are multiple of these (Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, Tik-Tok, etc.) that are supposed to be on here but are not.
They are nowhere to be found, except for the disabled Facebook Manager crAPPs.

Anyway, at this point, turn off the device, install the SIM card, replace the SD card with another if necessary, and turn the phone back on.

Everything is still blocked with NoRoot, until you allow connections.

Also, I advise against updates for the device, as these can be used to take the device over all over again.
I use NoRoot to block this sort of action, as well as avoiding Google apps at all costs.

If I need anything from Google apps, I access them with different apps than their#.

Upvote 0
This is what I have been telling you would happen.
Next to go will be calling.

As far as the crAPPS that are automatically installed the first time you connect to the internet, the way around this is fairly straightforward, although tedious.

First, get a new SD card, and format it in an Android device.
Place the apk for NoRoot Firewall onto the SD card.
You may also choose to include apks from other apps that you know you are going to want on the new device.

After that, get the new phone, remove the SIM card, and put the SD card into the proper place, and then turn it on.

Skip and ignore all the set up crap, and refuse to turn on wi-fi or data, and keep going until you reach the home screen.

Install NoRoot Firewall first (you probably have to use that horrid Files app to do so- which means granting the files and media along with install apps permissions- be sure to revoke these and disable the app if possible after installing a better file manager app) and use NoRoot to block EVERYTHING to start with.
Be sure to have it start on boot.
Set your VPN settings to always use NoRoot Firewall and to require the VPN for all connections.

After you get the device customized to your preferences- by disabling any Google Play Store, Google, etc. (Google Play Services may need to stay), and any other undesired junk, you can then turn on wi-fi service and continue your set-up.

These pestilence apps are force fed via Google to the device.
By blocking them from doing so at the point of set-up, you stop the install altogether.

Interestingly, I have a couple of apps that show that there are multiple of these (Amazon, Twitter, Facebook, Tik-Tok, etc.) that are supposed to be on here but are not.
They are nowhere to be found, except for the disabled Facebook Manager crAPPs.

Anyway, at this point, turn off the device, install the SIM card, replace the SD card with another if necessary, and turn the phone back on.

Everything is still blocked with NoRoot, until you allow connections.

Also, I advise against updates for the device, as these can be used to take the device over all over again.
I use NoRoot to block this sort of action, as well as avoiding Google apps at all costs.

If I need anything from Google apps, I access them with different apps than their#.
Irony is, work email uses google as the backbone on microsoft-branded services. One reason I haven't set up access to it on my phone directly is because it wants me to set up some kind of pin password or to use my fingerprint for the lock screen, on my private phone. I would have considered fingerprint to keep it simple to me; except the problem is that the fingerprint sensor on my V20 is... on the power button. With an extended battery, there's no way I could angle my finger for the sensor to pick up favorably. Oh, well.

From what T-Mobile itself offers for phones... it's all kind of crap. And Google can eff itself asking $600 for the Pixel 6. That thing feels more fit to be sold at six USD, not six hundred. No SD, no headphone jack... the only point in its favor is that it's dead easy to root.

What does setting up a firewall do me if I literally can't even get to the welcome screen on a phone without it demanding a google account? People griping about that with windows 11, and google itself was doing it earlier and worse. wife wanted me to root her moto g20 and I literally couldn't even get past that whine screen.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones