• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Galaxy S24 Series

It's your lucky day: here are all 26 episodes

We also have both seasons of Space:1999 on Blu-ray, remastered in high definition and it looks incredible!

I use ArmorSuit Military Shield matte film screen protectors because (a) they work great and (b) have a lifetime warranty. If one messes up, I submit a claim, pay for postage and they send me another one. The screen itself is glare-resistant but I really can't tell a dramatic difference.
Thanks for the ArmorSuit shoutout! Lifetime warranty is always a good thing! You mentioned that you "can't tell a dramatic difference". Do you have your screen set at maximum resolution or the next level below maximum?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! It was indeed my lucky day. After 54 years of not seeing UFO, I've been binge watching all day. On episode 8 now. THANK YOU!

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I have the resolution set on maximum (WQHD+) and it looks fantastic.

There was a lot of complaint about Vivid screen mode looking exactly like Natural screen mode.

According to an official response in the Samsung Members app, Samsung is adding a ‘Vividness Slider’ to the Galaxy S24 Ultra. This will let users adjust their screen colors. It’s coming in the February 2024 update.

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
According to an official response in the Samsung Members app, Samsung is adding a ‘Vividness Slider’ to the Galaxy S24 Ultra. This will let users adjust their screen colors. It’s coming in the February 2024 update.
I wonder if that is why some arrival dates were pushed back to the end of Feb. When I first ordered, my delivery date was 1 Feb. I changed something 2 days later, and it showed 29 Feb. I'm guessing it was for more time for them to figure things out and come up with a fix. Just guessing here.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about your phone delivery? It may be because Samsung had underestimated demand. The S24 is breaking records in pre-orders and sales, so they may be trying to build the phones to meet demand. That's why I like to reserve the device as soon as reservations open: when pre-orders begin, reservations get to the head of the line. If I decide I don't want the phone, there's no penalty for reserving it.

Upvote 0
Are you talking about your phone delivery? It may be because Samsung had underestimated demand.
Yes, I was speaking about my phone delivery. However, I received a notification today that my phone has been shipped, and it is on the way! I'm now a happy camper, and need to go watch some more videos to remind myself what to do as soon as I get my phone (settings).

Is there a way to mark this particular topic for notifications? If there is, I can't find it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I was speaking about my phone delivery. However, I received a notification today that my phone has been shipped, and it is in the way! I'm now a happy camper, and need to go watch some more videos to remind myself what to do as soon as I get my phone (settings).

Is there a way to mark this particular topic for notifications. If there is, I can't find it.
in Account Settings Preferences you can set how to receive alerts for threads you participate in

Upvote 0
I actually set up Wonderland, a module within Good Lock. It has a number of really cool AOD effects and I can go all day without a recharge. And at my age!

UPDATE: I don't know what phone he has or from which carrier, but the unlocked S24 Ultra does not have "Unlock with fingerprint" as an option in the IF section.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I plan on getting the S24 Ultra, my note 9 has serious screen burn in.
The only two things you will really have to adapt to are the fingerprint scanner under the display (unlike the ideal position for it on the Note 9); and the S Pen being on the opposite (aka wrong, unless you're left handed) side. Once you get used to those, I think the difference in phones will astonish you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearsyzf
Upvote 0
It's been pretty quiet here! I finally got my S24 Ultra a little earlier than expected. The switch over was fairly straight forward and I only had a few incompatible apps.

I recently pulled out the S Pen for the first time and immediately noticed an "electric" smell. Has anyone else noticed that? I never noticed that in my previous SG's, but none of them had a battery as powerful as this one. I'm guessing its the S Pen being charged, but to generate some discussion, what would you guess it is if you also noticed that odor?

UPDATE: A quick Google search revealed that I'm not alone in noticing it. Some say that the smell will eventually go away.

UPDATE 2: S-Pen smell

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze and olbriar
Upvote 0
How are you charging your S24 Ultra? With the massive battery, there is a lot of previous posts that may or may not apply. Also, are you using a USB or wireless charger? For me, I'm using the "Adaptive Battery" setting and using a USB 45W charger. I also try to recharge when the battery gets down to 30%. So far, after about two weeks, the phone is still charging up to 100%. I'm sure that the battery is still working things out behind the scenes getting familiar with my apps and usage before things settle in.

Upvote 0
At night, on a wireless charger. Maybe a quick charge-up while I'm in the shower. Unless I'm going to be on the road all day, that's all I need.
I'm still doing some research. Are you using "adaptive" or "maximum" battery protection? How far will you let it discharge before charging again?

UPDATE: Since this phone was so expensive, I'll likely keep it longer than usual. Thus, I'm torn between using Adaptive Battery as many have recommended, and Maximum, which is supposed to be the "best" option, albeit not the most recommended

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't worry about the battery at all. I have two Motorola Droids and a Galaxy Nexus that still charge and power on after more than a decade. Considering the advances in battery technology since then, I'll use the phone the way I want with no consideration for battery longevity.

It's nice that Samsung is offering seven years of updates, but I'm sure they know that nobody is going to keep a phone that long. Seven years ago I bought a Galaxy Note 8... and it's ancient tech by today's standards.

Seven years ago I bought a Galaxy Note 8... and it's ancient tech by today's standards.
I just traded in my Note 8. I couldn't pass up that "possible" $400 trade in. Last year, that trade in was worth only $20 for the S23! It still worked just fine.

So do you (or anyone else) have a minimum level you will let the power drop to before charging?

Sorry for being a bit repetitive, but there is sooooooo much information out there. I consider this forum to be highly credible and I value the discussions more here than anywhere else.

Reactions: The_Chief
Upvote 0
I agree with @The_Chief on the battery. I don't worry about it and I plug it in every day or two to 100%.

There's a lot of crazy stuff on the net about charging your phone. I have heard people say:

*Always plug your charger into a timer
*Never charge your battery over 3 hours
*Never charge your battery over 80% due to expansion 80% Max is mentioned a lot for increased battery life
*Don't charge your battery until it's down to 30%

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So do you (or anyone else) have a minimum level you will let the power drop to before charging?
Nope. I take it off the wireless charger when our Shih Tzu money pit wakes me up at 5 AM (how she knows that's a "5" on the clock and it is, therefore, time to wake up Alpha Pooch is beyond me) and I put it back on that night. I rarely even look at the battery percentage (which is in my status bar) unless it's a long day on the road or something.

Upvote 0
Been away for a bit and just read all you guys posting about charging; my $.02 is that Samsung has done a great job at battery charge management over many years. I'm still clinging to a duo of S10 & S10+ for over 4 years and the Optimize device management system has maintained our batteries very nicely to the point that I'm ready to upgrade not because the batts are on their deathbed but I worry that these stalwarts will stop getting updates. The phones are still in great shape, though we are roughly 5 versions behind. I'm guessing from your discussions that Adaptive mode is a good evolution over Optimize so I'm getting closer to getting the S24s soon.

Thanks y'all for helping a lurker decide :specsdroid:

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones