• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Broken Evo Charging Port Thread, Lets Track This Issue

I took in my Evo yesterday and I bought this phone brand new and I was have connectivity issues and they sent out a refurb and holly hell... This refurb has a scratched screen, blown earpeice, bad charging port, and it smells like smoke. Who the hell did the refurb on this phone? I have written a letter and I will be enclosing it with my return as I already have another one on the way. Does anyone have the number to Sprint corporate so I can call and complain?

Upvote 0
I got my Evo from Best Buy (was cheaper @ the time) about 2 years ago, some time at the latter end of a year the phone was not charging well when I would have it connected unless I had it sittin at a certain angle. I took mine to the Sprint Service Center and they checked the phone and said everything was fine and that it was just the charger I had, and then gave me a new charger. That charger worked fine and within the past few months I have began to have the same issue again, and the port seems to be much more loosely connected when I plug it in to charge, but I am guessing that it's probably the charger again...why you may ask, cause when I use an kindle charger I have absolutely no problems with my phone charging anytime. Since I have the extra charger I just haven't taken my phone back in to have it checked because it seems to just be the same charger problem there was before, whether it's just the wiring in the cord or the actual charger port it jacked I'm not sure but with the kindle charger I have none of the laxity when I plus the charger in the port as I do with my generic HTC charger. So I dunno if that helps anyone but thats been some of my issues with it...

Upvote 0
I don't know if this has been posted before but there is a trick to getting new phones versus refurb's from Sprint, although time consuming, it works much easier, generally, and with less headaches from the reps and techs.

If you have a problem with your phone take it in to the Service center tell them, they will do the diagnostic stuff and either tell you it's checking out fine and ask if you want a refurb or upgrade (if they don't say anything about getting a refub, just ask..don't just automatically start demanding a new phone you'll already start your headaches early) I've never had a problem with them givin me a refub after they tell me the diagnostic comes back fine if I say that I just don't trust it because although the d's coming back fine it's just not working right.

After you get the refub, if it's good use it till it's not, if it's a POS then take it back the next day and tell them the refub they provided is unsatisfactory in _(blank)_ ways. They will generally offer you a new refub, or upgrade, again. (I say "generally" cause I've noticed that customer service in-store is subjective to area, if worse comes to worse I've never had trouble with the corporate customer service especially if you start threatening to go to another provider (but I would save that threat until you've gotten at least 3 refurb phone, as I said previously time consuming)

After you have had 3-4 refurb phones the corporate office will give you a new phone if the refurbs have all been unsatisfactory. I have had them even tell me on the phone that they technically can't give out brand new phones until you have had at least 3-4 refurbs with less then stellar results.

As I said it is time consuming and a bit of a pain but if they are still resistant to a new phone after having 3-4 refurbs your last resort should come down to calling corporate and threatening to switch service providers, you WILL get transfered through the ringer of reps and told this and that but once you get to the last person they will tell you ok since you have brought your phone in so much you can go to the service center and I will put a note in the computer and they will provide you with a new unit, or they will mail a new one to you...and if one rep is an A$$ or doesn't seem receptive to send a new phone, simply hang up and call again and speak with someone else, cause I know that they will do it. I've had sprint since approximately 2000 and have gotten a new phone with every available upgrade and some without having upgrades available it's just about working around their corporate policies, reps can't control what the policies are but you can help them help you by having a paper trail that you are trying to get something fixed and it never does so then they have to appease or lose you as a customer, they'd lose alot of money if they gave everyone a new phone, everytime one came in with a problem...
Hope My Experience Helps To Some

Upvote 0
So sprint can't say "Its the users fault" because you know dam well its not. If you have a loose or broken port please post here and try to include your hardware version 2 or 3 and your build dates. Frankly im sick and tired of HTC and Sprint passing the buck about there faulty equipment.

I've had this problem with it not charging. I had to buy a new cable. The cable part that goes into the port gets loose or bent. Try a new cable first.

Upvote 0
I've had my Sprint EVO for 18 months with no issues until the last week. Ill plug it in to charge and it will only charge for a few minutes then quits. I've tried several chargers and when I finally do get it charged after moving the phone in 20 different positions and a rubberband or two. It seems to work normally until time to plug in again. I believe it is my port also. I just found this site and found it useful so I thought I would post my experience with this problem also.

Upvote 0
Just thought I mention it...I've had my EVO since September 2011, and have not had any charger port problems. Of, course, I am fairly careful with how I plug and unplug the charger into the phone.

Personally, though, I do wish the phone makers had not switched from Mini USB jacks to Micro USB jacks, because I do feel they are more delicate.

Upvote 0
If this is still going on, I'm on my third Evo with the same issue with the charging port. This one is going out after 8 months, lasted longer than the other two.

I don't trip over it, dangle it, anything, just normal everyday use.

Yep, still happening. My 3D and my wifes 4G both within two weeks of each other. Before that two of my 4G's.

Nah, there isn't a problem, everyone in the EVO world is just careless I guess... :thinking:

Upvote 0
My wife and I each got an EVO4g together, Version 2.2. I got the black, she got the white. Mine is busted (which is why I am here) and her EVO4g is just fine.
I am looking for a solution to unroot so I can take it down to Sprint. I can't use my PC to unroot because of the broken port. I heard I could use ROM Manager but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone know how to unroot the Sprint htc EVO 4g without the use of a computer?
-Josh:thinking:

Upvote 0
My wife and I each got an EVO4g together, Version 2.2. I got the black, she got the white. Mine is busted (which is why I am here) and her EVO4g is just fine.
I am looking for a solution to unroot so I can take it down to Sprint. I can't use my PC to unroot because of the broken port. I heard I could use ROM Manager but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone know how to unroot the Sprint htc EVO 4g without the use of a computer?
-Josh:thinking:
I really wouldn't worry about unrooting it to bring it back to Sprint.
They have changed thier policy towards rooted phone.
Besides, it's a hardware issue and they shouldn't touch your hboot at all.:)

Reactions: JWill916
Upvote 0
My charging port isnt fully broken but its close to it when I plug the charger in it wont charge I have to put my phone on the edge of something and press down on the usb to get it to charge. my question is since its not fully broken does anyone know if sprint will replace it for free?

Do you have insurance on it? You may have to pay a deductible IF they will fix it there...however, they just might swap out the phone for a refurb.

My vibrator motor was weak (still is) and they were going to swap it out with a refurb for $35.00....I declined as I can live with it but because it was "soldered to the circuit board" they couldn't fix it there.

You can call them and ask but I think they would swap it...

Upvote 0
My charging port isnt fully broken but its close to it when I plug the charger in it wont charge I have to put my phone on the edge of something and press down on the usb to get it to charge. my question is since its not fully broken does anyone know if sprint will replace it for free?

not for free now. if you have insurance then you will have to pay the deductible($100) to get it replaced. if you are eligible for an upgrade, now's probably a good time to do it.

edit:ninja'd by a HUMAN!!!!!! how is that possible that a human was faster then a robot?

Upvote 0
Yes I have insurance and hopefully they will just swap it out. I wont pay a deductible since I use the anker batts anyway its just a pain when im trying to put things on my sd card. I am heading up there tomorrow so I will post my feedback.
You can use an app called Air Droid
to move stuff to and from your sd card....both the phone and computer have to be on the same wifi network for it to work....just an option for now:)

Upvote 0
not for free now. if you have insurance then you will have to pay the deductible($100) to get it replaced. if you are eligible for an upgrade, now's probably a good time to do it.

edit:ninja'd by a HUMAN!!!!!! how is that possible that a human was faster then a robot?

haha...had to post this:

pr-blog-social-media-seo-a-battle-between-humans-and-robots-human-vs-robot.jpg

Upvote 0
My charging port is completely broken. I treat my phone well. Its been loose for some time. This is definately a manufacturer's problem. Sprint should replace it. Ill call them tomorrow. I bought my phone at Radio Shack. Any advise on how to get them to give me a new phone? I did not purchase the insurance. Thank you!!! Im lost without my phone:bawling::bawling: PS the problem is you cant take out the battery for an external charge either...why did they do that?

Upvote 0
My charging port is completely broken. I treat my phone well. Its been loose for some time. This is definately a manufacturer's problem. Sprint should replace it. Ill call them tomorrow. I bought my phone at Radio Shack. Any advise on how to get them to give me a new phone? I did not purchase the insurance. Thank you!!! Im lost without my phone:bawling::bawling: PS the problem is you cant take out the battery for an external charge either...why did they do that?

welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!
sorry to hear about your phone.

not sure what they will say without having insurance. i do not think that they will fix it or replace it without some insurance......i wish you luck with that.

and i'm not sure what you mean about the battery. with the og evo, you can take the battery out and use an external charger to charge the battery if you like. there are plenty of those on amazon or ebay.

edit:can anybody say ninja?:D

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

Welcome to AF!!
You can take out the battery on the Evo4g. :thinking:
I am sorry about your device and hope it won't cost much to repair or take too long. :)

Edit: wow...ninj'd yet again. But it's all good! We are all here to help even thought robot ninjas are the quickest kind

Upvote 0
I saw a post, but it wasn't my problem, but I do hope someone is able to help me.
In the car a few weeks ago, my brother was being funny, and slapped my phone out of my hands as it was charging. I heard a snapping sound, and the cord was out of my phone. I tried to plug it in, and it wouldn't charge. No pins were missing or anything, but the port was pushing in as I plugged in the charger (the port itself is loose?)
Later, I bought an external wall charger seeing this is my only option to charge now ( can't upgrade until march) so i've been doing that for a week now. I bought a extended battery, and it works so good, but it doesnt fit inside the wall charger. (imagine it as a slot you plug into the wall and take the battery out your phone, and into the thing you just plugged into the wall)
So This is it. Do I need to take apart my phone now? is there an easy way out of this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones