• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Browser Closes in any browser as soon as a page loads

tallpeople

Lurker
Jul 28, 2011
I have an HTC Droid Incredible and the past few days' events have left me with an inability to view any webpage in a browser. Here are a list of things that happened:

1. I mounted my phone as a disk drive to my pc to move pictures and videos off. Part of the way through, I selected the option to delete files after transfer and then I realized I didn't want to and de-selected it. I then started errors that my SD card was read only, so I re-connected it in mounted drive mode and then changed to charge only and now the sd card seems ok even though there are some small indications that there may still be something up.
2. My phone randomly rebooted yesterday when I wasn't doing anything.
3. After the reboot, every time I've tried to open a browser window (I've tried the standard one, Dolphin, Opera and one other whose name escapes me now.), the browser closes without an error message on page load. I'm running flash 10.3. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browsers, clearing all other running apps, power off, etc.
4. Also in the past couple of days, I've gotten the out of space for apps message that is being discussed in another topic here. I've been able to rid myself of the message for now, though, and have confirmed that even when barely anything is running, the browser is still closing.

I'm not rooted and I should warn you that I don't know anything about the inner workings of the android platform.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks-
Sherri

It sounds like it caused corruption on your SD Card. Browsers use the card and that may be why it is closing.

I would backup everything on the card to your PC then reformat the card to FAT32 then reboot the phone. It will create some folders so only copy back the folders you backed up that do not have the same name as the new ones on the card. Exception is copying back your pictures to DCIM but just copy the pictures not the folders.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. I mounted the drive, backed up what I needed and I reformatted the drive with the DCIM folder in caps to fat32. This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but when I mount my phone, two different drives show up. Do I need to reformat both?

Just reformatting the one drive doesn't solve the problem. FYI - If a page is loading slowly, I can see the text and graphics loading. It's not until the moment the page completely finishes loading that the window just closes.

One other weird twist to this is that weather.com loads fine - it's the only site that stays open.

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones