• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Browser slower on custom kernels?

NSXLA

Oct 4, 2009
Los Angeles
Was pondering if anyone else notice, the stock browser being a tad bit slower (about 7 seconds) with a custom kernel, compared to stock. :thinking:

Yes i have tried multiple kernels with the same results, i wonder why this is the case, i love the features (unlocked fps/Over-under clocking) of some of the custom kernels , but losing 7-8 seconds is rather annoying especially on 3G. Running Froyo btw.

Was pondering if anyone else notice, the stock browser being a tad bit slower (about 7 seconds) with a custom kernel, compared to stock. :thinking:

Yes i have tried multiple kernels with the same results, i wonder why this is the case, i love the features (unlocked fps/Over-under clocking) of some of the custom kernels , but losing 7-8 seconds is rather annoying especially on 3G. Running Froyo btw.

No issues with stock rooted and netarchy's kernel.

Upvote 0
Came to the conclusion, by stumbling upon it while comparing my OCed evo (thought flash loading would be faster) with the stock evo recently purchased for my g/f, stock kernel is definitely faster.

I've tried netarchy-toastmod-4.1.8-bfs-bfq-fresh-compatible-signed of course with the latest Fresh rom. Also tried netarchy-toastmod-4.1.8-bfs-bfq-signed with his rooted stock froyo rom, same results. I suppose if the browser being a bit slower doesn't bug you, its not a concern, the difference was vast enough to bug me.

Yes yes i did these test after a clean install (wipe everything).

oh also tried KiNgxKernel-#4-BFS318-2.6.32.15-Flashable.zip which should be fine with Fresh rom

Upvote 0
I guess what I'm really saying is that you can't quantify the difference in slowness to 7 seconds because even on just one phone, if you load a heavy page over and over again, you'll get widely different results. You could claim that the stock kernel/browser consistently feels faster, but you can't say that it's faster by 7 seconds. Because I'm sure if you loaded google.com on both phones, neither of them will take 7 seconds to load; therefore your difference in speed will be way less than 7 seconds in that scenario.

And if you did a controlled test, where you loaded the same sites over and over again, clearing the cache between each load, you'll find that the performance of both phones will be about the same.

Upvote 0
And if you did a controlled test, where you loaded the same sites over and over again, clearing the cache between each load, you'll find that the performance of both phones will be about the same.

loaded engadget/autoblog on both phones over wifi (more than once) and yes cleared the cache to make it fair....most won't care for a few seconds, for me over 3g its enough to stick to stock kernel. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones