• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Build Date Makes A Difference

My First Evo (Black), HW003, is great aside from crackly ear piece and speaker

My Second Evo (White), HW003, has slight leakage and strange screen issue in the lower left corner, looks like a gap between LCD subpanel and Capacitive screen. This one is going back. I also noticed that it is a Novatek screen, side by side with my black Evo, the whites are Purple'ish, but overall the screen is brighter.

Strange

Reactions: Chef Joe
Upvote 0
I was thinking that the date on the cover meant nothing too, and probably was the date the cover was made. They are interchangable after all. The longer I think about it, the more I really do think it is the build date of the phone, because it just makes no sense to me to date every single piece of plastic like it is that important when that was made.

Have you ever seen an episode of "How it's made?"

There's a very good chance the back covers, and probably the other plastic parts, were made in a completely different part of the factory than any of the electronics, and someone on an assembly line slapped the parts together. If the back cover was stamped during production, the date on it means nothing. If, however, it was stamped during assembly, it shows when the phone was put together, but does little to show when the parts used were created (other than to say they were created BEFORE that date, obviously.)

Reactions: Chef Joe
Upvote 0
Update on my recently acquired white evo:

There IS some separation occurring, much more minor than my last evo (let's hope it stays that way). I shouldn't have been so optimistic, I will live with it (and fix it myself) until the time when (if) HTC fixes the issue for sure, then find a way to trade it in..

Hey paintmoonsred, any update on your white Evo? Asking because I think I'm in the same boat as you, only a couple weeks behind you. Hearing how your phone is doing will be like looking into the future for my own ;)

Upvote 0
Purchased my Evo on 8/27/10 from a Radio Shack franchise in a local hardware store, salesperson said it had just come in on 8/25.

FroYo 2.2 preinstalled when purchased
HW003
10/07/12 (07/12/10) on cover
100621 (06/21/10) on chassis in 5 different places

So far no separation issues, & very slight light leakage visible if viewing @ an angle, or in dark conditions. Love the phone so far... Battery life is a lot better than my Sprint Hero on 2.1, considering It's the same size battery 1500 MAh, & nearly twice the phone.

Upvote 0
Hello Everyone,

I purchased an Evo on 1/22/11. Within the first day, I had a screen problem and returned the phone today. The phone I returned was a hardware version .004. The one I received in exchanged was a .003. Is there a big difference between the versions? Does .004 have an improved screen, camera, etc? Should I try and get a .004 version?

Honestly, am having a problem telling the difference, but if there is a difference, I bet someone here knows.

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones