• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Busybox "su" permission denied

hstroph

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2012
Greetings,
My Google Pixel 6 has Busybox Pro installed and the phone is successfully rooted with Magisk 24.3, see attached screenshot.

In "adb shell" when I type "su", "Permission denied" is returned.

How to fix, please? I need to edit the /system/etc/hosts file with my LAN entries.

Thank you.

Attachments

• rooted_pixel_6.png
    rooted_pixel_6.png
    79.2 KB · Views: 283
from the guide:https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/guide-root-pixel-6-oriole-with-magisk.4356233/
Points of note:
  • The boot image is NOT the bootloader image. Do not confuse the two - YOU are expected to know the difference. Flashing the wrong image to bootloader could brick your device.
  • While the Magisk app is used for patching the boot image, the app and the patch are separate. This is what you should see in Magisk for functioning root:
    screenshot_20211218-194517-png.5486339

V0latyle · Nov 2, 2021 at 9:06 PM

" style="box-sizing: border-box; display: inline-block; max-width: 100%; cursor: pointer;">
    screenshot_20211218-194517-png.5486339
  • "Installed" shows the version of patch in the boot image. If this says N/A, you do not have root access - the boot image is not patched, or you have a problem with Magisk.
  • "App" simply shows the version of the app itself.
  • If you do not have a patched master boot image, you will need to download the factory zip if you haven't already, extract the system update inside it, then patch boot.img.
  • If you prefer updating with the factory image, you can also extract and manually patch the boot image if desired.
does magisk show this?
"Installed" shows the version of patch in the boot image. If this says N/A, you do not have root access - the boot image is not patched, or you have a problem with Magisk.

Upvote 0
does magisk show this?
"Installed" shows the version of patch in the boot image. If this says N/A, you do not have root access - the boot image is not patched, or you have a problem with Magisk.
The boot image is patched and installed according to Magisk 24.3, please see attached screenshot. Maybe there is a problem with that version of Magisk ... can you successfully "su" with the version you're using?

Attachments

• magisk-24.3_pixel_6.png
    magisk-24.3_pixel_6.png
    53 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The boot image is patched and installed according to Magisk 24.3, please see attached screenshot. Maybe there is a problem with that version of Magisk ... can you successfully "su" with the version you're using?
sorry don't have your phone so i can't confirm that. you might try a different magisk.....its not a bad idea.

Upvote 0
sorry don't have your phone so i can't confirm that. you might try a different magisk.....its not a bad idea.
I'm wondering, please, if you can successfully "su" from an "adb shell" on whatever phone it is that you have rooted with Magisk ... or have you? I explicitly followed the recipe in the link you provided prior to my installation of Magisk, and don't want to think that you just copy-n-pasted from that link without having actual experience with Magisk yourself.

From my laptop to Pixel 6 with Android 12 and Magisk 24.3:
$ adb shell
oriole:/ $ whoami
shell
oriole:/ $ su
Permission denied
13|oriole:/ $ su -
Permission denied
13|oriole:/ $ exit
$

My previous Nexus 6P with Android 8.2 and Magisk 24.3:
$ adb shell
angler:/ $ whoami
shell
angler:/ $ su
angler:/ # whoami
root
angler:/ # exit
angler:/ $ exit
$

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Greetings,
My Google Pixel 6 has Busybox Pro installed and the phone is successfully rooted with Magisk 24.3, see attached screenshot.

In "adb shell" when I type "su", "Permission denied" is returned.

How to fix, please? I need to edit the /system/etc/hosts file with my LAN entries.

Thank you.
Your device is not rooted correctly. Re root the device and check that the boot.img is patched correctly.

Upvote 0
  1. Magisk is now uninstalled from the phone, and doesn't appear in the list of apps on the Pixel 6.
  2. On the laptop:
    $ adb install Magisk-v24.3.apk
    Performing Streamed Install
    Success
  3. Invoking Magisk on the phone indicates that the App 24.3 (24300)(27) is installed, Magisk "Installed: NA"
  4. From the factory image, unzipping image-oriole-sp2a.220305.013.a3.zip into a tmp directory:
    $ adb push boot.img /storage/emulated/0/Download/boot.img
    boot.img: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 51.4 MB/s (67108864 bytes in 1.246s)
  5. In Magisk Install "Select and Patch a file", the boot.img is selected. "LET'S GO" results in a sequence ending with the name of the patched file and "All done!"
  6. On the laptop:
    adb pull /storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk_patched-24300_jdnPc.img magisk_patched.img
    /storage/emulated/0/Download/magisk_patched-24300_jdnP...ulled, 0 skipped. 35.6 MB/s (67108864 bytes in 1.796s)
  7. $ adb reboot bootloader
    $ fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img
    Sending 'boot_a' (65536 KB) OKAY [ 1.683s]
    Writing 'boot_a' OKAY [ 0.100s]
    Finished. Total time: 1.785s
  8. Android reboots normally. The Magisk app reports "Installed: 24.3 (24300)
  9. On the laptop:
    $ adb shell
    oriole:/ $ su
    Permission denied
    13|oriole:/ $ exit
    $
  10. Please tell me where was my rooting error. :thinking: I assure you that the correct factory boot.img was transferred to Magisk, and the correct patched *.img file was uploaded and flashed to the phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes, I downloaded the factory image and flashed the phone with it, then reconstructed my environment. The boot.img patched by Magisk is the one from that same factory image. A "Root Checker" screenshot is attached here.

The thread in the link you provided was munged and locked because the closed-source .apk carried some potentially malicious payloads.

FWIW, from "adb shell":
1|oriole:/ $ ls -l $(which su)
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2022-04-02 23:15 /system/bin/su -> ./magisk

oriole:/ $ ls -l $(which su) /system/bin/magisk
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 222928 2022-04-02 23:15 /system/bin/magisk
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2022-04-02 23:15 /system/bin/su -> ./magisk

I've flashed the most recent factory image, configured everything from scratch several times, all with same result of successful Magisk installation but without "su" capability.
root_checker.png
es and installed Magisk

Attachments

• magisk_installed-1.png
    magisk_installed-1.png
    302 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones