• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying a Droid online

dbronstein

Dec 19, 2009
Is there any downside to buying a Droid online instead of directly from Verizon? Quite a few sites have them for $149 and Cellulardeals.com has them for $119. I was at a Verizon store today and I asked the salesperson about it and of course she strongly discouraged it, saying that they aren't authorized to sell them that cheap and so on. But are there any drawbacks to buying from those places? It seems like the only issue would be that I'd be in cell phone limbo for a few days waiting for my phone since I'm transferring a number. Or are there other things I'm not aware of?

Sometimes they require to be on a certain plan for at least 6 months. After the 6 months you can switch easily. Also in the past (Wirefly especially) they made it difficult to send out rebates and cancel phones without charging ETF. The idea is that you make a contract with the cellular dealer AND vzw, so the cellular dealer can make its own terms as well which you may need to brush up on. I was highly tempted by getting it cheap from these guys (especially letstalk.com they had a BOGO where u get a droid and and eris for $149 total). But in the end I opted out for Walmart. However, I've read other forums where users are saying they've had no problems and everythings been great. But from what I understand, these users have had no reason to return phones/cancel plans so everything is easy peezy for them.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents.
p.s. Walmart had it for $188 with tax that brings it up to $199.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. The one issue I have is my wife works for Qwest, and since they resell Verizon, she can get an employee discount. That might force me into having to go to a Verizon store anyway, but I wanted to see if it was worth pursuing the non-Verizon options, and it sounds like it is.

Upvote 0
i bought my first droid from dell mobility online for $119. when my touchscreen started freaking out the other day (areas of the screen no longer responding to touch, apps starting on their own, etc.), i had to haggle with them over the phone to send it back. because i was so close to my 30 day window, i had to send it fedex 2 day at my own expense, and only after they received it would i then get a refund or a replacement sent to me, so i'd be out a phone for the time that took (and it's christmas week now, so that would have delayed it). i decided to send it back for the refund, and verizon was able to move my phone number to a new droid and give me the 2 year plan price in the store once i showed them the fedex tracking number was in the system for the old one going back to dell mobility. they were really cool about it. so i was able to get a new droid from verizon, it cost more but if this one freaks out, i can walk back into a store and get a new one (in the 30 day window). i would NEVER buy one online again, unless i could get it from a place where i could walk into a store and get a replacement. so that is my little horror story. it was worth the extra cash to me to have that bit of peace of mind. ymmv. good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones