• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

calendar and contacts

Aqus

Jun 7, 2009
Just received a HTC Dream.
Although it has great features, I feel there are lots of business needs lacking.
For messaging, emails, Im and browsing the phone is awesome.
But I will use the phone as a business tool. I fomerely had a treo 680.
Here are a few things I find are lacking for business use.
1. You can not search contacts bases on company name. I know there is atakephone but it crashes most of the time.
2. If I need to set up an appointement with a client which is in my contacts, I can't link the contact to the appointement. IE I can't create an appointement based on a contact.

I feel Android is not designed for business use in mind.
No todo lists. Except for the calendar ones which are all stacked up one on top of each other.

Is there another calendar app which doesn't use google calendar, like Agendus?

Am I mising something here?

Hi,

I transitioned to a G1 from a Treo 680 and then a Centro myself. There are definitely a few changes. Most good, some bad... overall, much better!

Here are some quick answers for you -

1) To search your contacts by company name use StarContacts, free version available in the app store is pretty stable for me.

2) I don't know if you can connect a contact to a calendar item however I have found astrid (also a free download from the app store) to be a more than adequate replacement especially because it can perform an online sync with rememberthemilk.com

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Am I mising something here?

Nope, you answered your own question above:

I feel Android is not designed for business use in mind.

It's not, plainly not. That's why it has Youtube instead of exchange, that's why it has AmazonMP3 instead of a native to-do list.
Certainly business people can use it, but as you are learning, it's severely lacking in biz capabilities. Perhaps in the next year or so devs will come up with the right software, and perhaps android will port a connection to the google tasks and google notepad they've recently developed. But for now, nope, it's not geared toward business.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones