• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Call Recorder for Motorola Droid, That actually Works

Just to revisit this thread... Google rolled out, or so I've heard, a Call Record feature in their Google Voice.

Whether or not this can be used on Droid2's or other Android devices, I'm not sure - but if not, does anyone know if any true workable stable call recording system exists?
I have spent two days trying all the call recorder apps and 0 work for the Droid 2. I just set up my google voice account and it does work with that. Here are the caveats. It only works when making or receiving calls with you google voice number, not your cell number. To activate the function you press the #4 after the call has connected and it announces that recording has begun so that both parties can hear it and to stop you press #4 again.

Upvote 0
I have spent two days trying all the call recorder apps and 0 work for the Droid 2. I just set up my google voice account and it does work with that. Here are the caveats. It only works when making or receiving calls with you google voice number, not your cell number. To activate the function you press the #4 after the call has connected and it announces that recording has begun so that both parties can hear it and to stop you press #4 again.

I experienced the same thing... too bad.

The Google voice option is cool though, how is the quality, and does it save to your SD card (are there any limits)? This would be very useful if interviewing someone over the phone. :)

Upvote 0

I was not aware of the Google feature, Thanx for the info.

Upvote 0
For many months now Google voice has only allowed INCOMING phone calls to be recorded, so it is at best a half solution.

Apparently the root of the problem is that Motorola does not include all of the standard Android functions in the libaudio.so file. One of those functions is necessary for the "call audio" to be shared to other processes and stored as a file by call recorders.

If anyone knows how to fix that file so that it has the full range of functions enabled, that's the only way this is going to get fixed.

At least, that's the only apparently solid information I've been able to pull on this, and that from only one source. Might or might no be accurate but it sounds likely.

Upvote 0
Apparently the root of the problem is that Motorola does not include all of the standard Android functions in the libaudio.so file.

I think you might be on to something Rred. I found a thread in the xda developer forums concerning that here: [MOD] Call Recording libs for Stock GB ROMs - xda-developers . Look at post #64 - there is an attached zip with the latest update for libaudio.so which supposedly has call recorder enabled. It looks like a lot of the guys there got it working, but I don't know what phones they're using.

I rooted my Droid 2, then installed the "droid 2 recovery bootstrap", then installed clockwork recovery, then used clockwork to load the zip file (auto_recorder_fix.zip). Then I downloaded and tried "My Call Recorder", "Total Recorder", and a couple of other apps. I had to install from the .apk files for the apps since the android market thought they were incompatible with my phone and wouldn't let me download them. When I tried to record a call My Call Recorder kept saying something about "creating file failed" and Total Recorder would either create corrupt files or none at all.

I have two theories:

1) Total recorder seemed a little confusing so perhaps I had something setup incorrectly.

2) The xda guys were using other phones that had different chipsets. Maybe none of them had a Droid 2 like me, so that fix worked for them.

Has anyone else tried this with a Droid 1/2/3/X? I'm a software programmer, but I don't work on programming the android OS so I can't post to that forum. If anyone in this thread has access, can you ask them if that fix could work with the Droid?

Edit: I forgot to mention - my phone runs gingerbread 2.3.3 with kernal 2.6.32.9, which is what those three .so files are intended for.

Upvote 0
In Brian Wilson's falsetto, think "Oh wouldn't it be nice..."

But I'm guessing GB is Great Britain, "Orange" being one of their carriers, so it is a fix (so far) for other phones, not our US/AT&T ones.

I wonder, with Google buying Motorola's cellular division outright, if they'll either fix 'em, or (gasp) orphan us all?

Upvote 0
I would like a "Call Recorder" app that works fine indeed in my Moto G with good sound in both directions. The whole of apps the record works just what I speak, no recording in the other end of the conversation. Before the Moto G I had a Sumsung Galaxy S2 that near all app worked pretty well.
I would like to thanks in advantage who may help me. Sory for my poor English because my native language is Portuguese.

Upvote 0
nogueira, your English is much better than my Portuguese.(G)

I suspect you will never get a call recorder for the MotoG because that phone is always listening for the magic words "OK Google" with a special audio chip and that should mean it will require special audio coding for all sorts of things.

IIRC Moto was sold by Google to Lenovo recently and I would expect them to develop new products and orphan the old ones. In the US market, call recording is mainly being locked out of the Android phones, intentionally, for reasons that no one will explain.

Your best bet is to find a recording app with a good track record, like Total from Killer Mobile, and then ask them what phones work with their app, rooted or not rooted, and buy a phone they know works.

Reactions: Littleyang215
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones