• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calling 911 by accident

A

Android Question

How can I stop my phone from calling 911? I have a Samsung S390G. It has happened 2 times and it looks like from the recent calls record that I get 911 emergency when it dials 112. The phone is locked and it is not set to dial numbers. This is a new phone. Can you help?

112 is the emergency number in much of Europe. I'd bring it back to where I bought it and explain that someone set it up incorrectly, and it really shouldn't be used in the US, and ask if they could replace it with a properly working one.

If they don't want to swap it with a new one for you, I'd go to the local police department's communication's chief (or the highest ranking communications officer I could get to see) and explain the situation - that you bought the phone and it calls 911 when you dial other numbers (and you can demonstrate it to him if he wants), that you really don't want to annoy his people (doing so might be illegal where you are) and see if he can send an officer to the store to "convince" them to "please be nice" and replace the defective phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones