• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

sumsung s5 service over?

eishiba

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
So I have used the Samsung Galaxy s5 for like the last 10 years. Mostly for the fact that you can you can replace the battery on its own and the battery lasts forever. For some reason I can't make calls. I cant even call 911(Yes i tried). It dials and drops the call. I thought maybe my phone was just screwed up so I bought another s5 and put my sim card in and it does the same thing.Part of me wonders if it isnt because of the VOLTE thing.

Does the s5 support VoLTE? Because if not then you will be out of luck if/when your provider turns off both 2G and 3G services (the time of which will depend on where you are, but the fact that you raise that suggests that you may be in a country where this is happening because most people won't have heard of it until then!).

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is VoLTE compliant. It should work fine. That said, sometimes it has to be in 'global' mode to make/receive calls. My S4 Mini will send/receive texts but not make/receive calls unless it's in Global (and not LTE/CDMA/GSM) mode for some reason. Which is kinda odd since if I'm in global mode, my phone randomly goes into 'searching for service' and I have to use airplane mode on/off every hour or two to restore it. I keep mine in LTE/GSM/CDMA mode since I don't use my phone to make calls, just send and receive texts.

If the S4 Mini is able to work, the S5 should most definitely. It's possible something is amiss on the carrier end, as sometimes I've had to phone in Verizon (my carrier) to fix issues that end up being on their end. Once, when I was still using my Thunderbolt, I was unable to send or receive texts one day (SMS code error cause 2 whatever that means) and they somehow messed up on their end and had lost my IMEI info, which they promptly restored.

It's also possible you're dealing with a service outage. Sometimes this can last for days, and it makes your phone act like your account got deactivated. Also, sometimes the S5 is buggered and needs a reboot (it was not the most reliable phone I've owned).

Even if your phone wasn't compliant, you should have received text messages indicating you need to upgrade to keep the service. If you haven't gotten any, then it's likely something else.

Reactions: mikedt and Dannydet
Upvote 0
The Samsung Galaxy S5 is VoLTE compliant. It should work fine. That said, sometimes it has to be in 'global' mode to make/receive calls. My S4 Mini will send/receive texts but not make/receive calls unless it's in Global (and not LTE/CDMA/GSM) mode for some reason. Which is kinda odd since if I'm in global mode, my phone randomly goes into 'searching for service' and I have to use airplane mode on/off every hour or two to restore it. I keep mine in LTE/GSM/CDMA mode since I don't use my phone to make calls, just send and receive texts.

If the S4 Mini is able to work, the S5 should most definitely. It's possible something is amiss on the carrier end, as sometimes I've had to phone in Verizon (my carrier) to fix issues that end up being on their end. Once, when I was still using my Thunderbolt, I was unable to send or receive texts one day (SMS code error cause 2 whatever that means) and they somehow messed up on their end and had lost my IMEI info, which they promptly restored.

It's also possible you're dealing with a service outage. Sometimes this can last for days, and it makes your phone act like your account got deactivated. Also, sometimes the S5 is buggered and needs a reboot (it was not the most reliable phone I've owned).

Even if your phone wasn't compliant, you should have received text messages indicating you need to upgrade to keep the service. If you haven't gotten any, then it's likely something else.

Well there are some S5 variants that don't have 4G/LTE modes in them, e.g. the SM-G900H variant.

Of course we don't know what S5 variant the OP has, or which carrier, or country they're in. But if they have a SM-G900H variant, they might be SOL.

Screenshot_20230127_214329_Firefox.jpg

The SM-G9009D variant also lacks 4G/LTE, But that's a China Telecom CDMA version of the S5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones