• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Camera 360 app PPI

Go into the app settings & choose larger dimensions for image capture. eg: 1280 x 768 capture will be better quality than 320 x 480, etc..

As I understand it, PPI has nothing to do with the image quality or resolution. Both of these are determined only by the total number of pixels in the actual image, eg: 1280 px by 768 px. That can be converted to inches, or mm's if you want vs. pixels. 72 ppi is ONLY applicable to the DISPLAY resolution of your phone or monitor, it has no bearing on the size or quality of your captured image. You can convert your image size to 300 dpi for printing, as printers lay down dots not pixels, but the image size will be reduced, as the actual number of pixels will stay the same, unless you upsize the image to be output with software pinterpolation.

To increase original image capture quality, you need to increase it's dimensions first, ppi of your display is irrelevant, it is just saying, at 72 ppi, your image can be displayed at 1280 x 768 @ 100%, if that was the actual original capture size.

So to increase quality, you need to increase, your camera's image capture size of x by y, & usually also calculated in megabytes before the jpeg compression. Look in your app or camera settings for the largest capture dimensions offered. Again ppi phas nothing to do with it. Your monitor or phone simply cannot display an image at 300 ppi even if that were an option, as the display arrangement of LCD/LED pixels is 72 to 100 ppi. 72 is an old monitor standard, most are now 96 ppi or so. Maybe someone else can explain it better. HTH.

Upvote 0
I understand what you are saying. (sort of) LOL I have played around with the camera settings and the larger setting does give a little better picture until you open it in something like photoshop, then the picture is grainy at 100%.

When I take pictures with my digital camera they have more PPI. For example, I can take a picture at 1280 x 768 with 300 ppi and the picture is crisp and clear. Its still 1280 x 768 in size but the quality is much better because of the ppi. Of course the file size is quite a bit larger.

A little more explanation, a 1280 x 768 pic with 96 ppi is approximatly 13.33" x 8". A 1280 x 768 pic with 300 ppi is approximately 4.26" x 2.56". So in theory if I enlarge the 300ppi pic to 13.33" x 8" it should be 96 ppi. Or if I reduced the 96PPI pic to 4.26" x 2.56" it should be 300 ppi.

I think I just confused myself even more. I am fairly computer literate but the picture thang has always been a puzzle to me. I guess I am trying to understand why a digital camera or scanner takes a pic at a larger PPI. I don't know.

My sister scan some pics this morning that are 600 PPI. I looked at one of the pics. the size is 2.933 x 3.213 (1760 x 1928) at 600 ppi. The pic is almost 10 meg in size but you can zoom into it 150% and its not grainy or pixelated.

Man, I have myself confused.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones