• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

camera application with integration to browser

Hi,

We are looking completing some preliminary research into a mobile web-application. This application isnt very exciting; it's an enterprise application.

However; what we need is within the web-page, to use the HTML input tag with a type of file to allow the user to attach a file to the web-page. However; we need to acquire a photo of the area the user is in and attach it to the web-page.

I have noticed that whereas on Windows/Mac/Linux using the input type of file brings up a file browser on Android it provides an initial option to select the source of the file; and other applications are able to add themselves to this list (such as ES File Explorer and a voice recording application I have installed).

What I am looking for is a camera application that adds itself to this list, so the user is able to directly add photos for upload to a web-page without first saving that photo to the file system and then trying to work out which file should be attached.

Any help identifying a camera application that does this would be appreciated; or identifying an opensource camera application for Android that welcomes feature requests (and possibly donations).

thanks

Richard

Hi,

Thanks for the response. I think we have crossed wires. :eek:

On an Android phone the standard internet browser has the capability to use another application as the source of a file for uploading through the browser.

For instance ES File Explorer adds itself to this list of sources.

To see what I mean open up androidforums on your android device, open up a thread which you able to reply to, click on the reply, then on the "manage attachments" and finally on "Choose file"

If you had done that on a desktop computer (windows/ubuntu) you would simply be presented with a file browser; but on Android you are presented with a list of applications that can be used to select the file, typically as standard this list contains 'select a track' and 'gallery'. We are looking for a camera application that also adds itself to this menu; so that the user may select "camera", take a photo and it be attached to the web page for upload.

ES file explorer has added itself to this menu so it is certainly possible to add other applications to it.

We require this for an internal project and at this stage we just need to be sure we can do this and identify how we would do it. If the project proceeds (which is likely and after confirming we can do what we need) the company would pay for licenses/pay for development.

thoughts.

R

Upvote 0
Hi Richard,
Did you achieve any success in this matter? I'm looking for the same thing.

I came across "Picup" for iPhone, that uses js to rewrite upload inputs (if mobile safari is detected) to a custom url scheme, when clicked Picup launches and prompts you to open camera or gallery.

While trying to find an equivalent for android I discovered (like you) that android browser prompts you with Gallery, sound recorder etc. I agree that an camera application in the same list would be a clean approach.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones