• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cameron disses Europe Day

They're pandering to the anti-Yoorup sentiment amongst the general populace similar to their anti-foreigners stance. Remember the 'Multiculturalism is dead' speech'?

Some might call it populism while others call it representative democracy.

It would be really funny to see the UK leave the EU

I'd give it 15 months till they apply for emergency EU accession :p

Silly foreigners infecting these boards with your foreign talk! :p

*sues Phases*

Upvote 0
It would be really funny to see the UK leave the EU

I'd give it 15 months till they apply for emergency EU accession :p
Would it really be that bad and why? tbh, I don't really know all the pros and cons of leaving the EU. I know a lot of people hate the idea of us being subservient to European legislation especially when it comes to human rights but I don't quite understand the rest of the hostility.

On a side note, there's a danger of the Euro failing. There was a rumour this week that the Greeks are looking to pull out and I remember some shrewd pundits sounded it's death knell at the end of last year.

Upvote 0
Would it really be that bad and why? tbh, I don't really know all the pros and cons of leaving the EU. I know a lot of people hate the idea of us being subservient to European legislation especially when it comes to human rights but I don't quite understand the rest of the hostility.
A lot of the hostitlity is that the UK (or, rather England) pays in more then they "get"

The media is generally anti-Europe too, and regularly dismiss the facts

If the UK left the EU, agriculture would collapse, FDI would collapse and multinationals would collapse, the Export sector would be crippled, consumer confidence would be all but dead, after a few months the Pound would be worthless, riots, food shortages, government would collapse, Scotland would leave, NI would flare up
etc

On a side note, there's a danger of the Euro failing. There was a rumour this week that the Greeks are looking to pull out and I remember some shrewd pundits sounded it's death knell at the end of last year.
The Euro was handled quite badly
Greece should NOT have been left in, and Portugal is questionable
The big issue really is that member states freak over sovereignty, and cross EU regulation was all but non-existent

A common European currency had to be done sometime, and any times a bad time to do so. I reckon it'll pull through, hopefully the EU will regulate everything more in the future

Upvote 0
The Euro was handled quite badly
Greece should NOT have been left in, and Portugal is questionable
The big issue really is that member states freak over sovereignty, and cross EU regulation was all but non-existent

I can understand the sovereignty issue. No one wants to feel that his country has been assimilated and lost its identity and independence. There are feelings like that in Canada when the free trade agreement with the US was signed and then subsequently with NAFTA. I would think that the UK has at benefited somewhat by joining the EU.

Upvote 0
I can understand the sovereignty issue.

TBH I can to for those who have nationalism ingrained in them, however I find it completely ironic in the context of the UK (Where only two nations have any reasonable sovereignty, while Wales and London have their little assemblies)

No one wants to feel that his country has been assimilated and lost its identity and independence.
TBH, being part of the EU is adding an identity rather than replacing one
Ultimately the EU still is the same mix of cultures it was before with certain groupings

There are feelings like that in Canada when the free trade agreement with the US was signed and then subsequently with NAFTA. I would think that the UK has at benefited somewhat by joining the EU.

Free trade agreements and intertergration are neatly always fantastic
Its worth remembering that the UK economy was failing pre EEC membership while its members were booming

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones