Can 2.1 eris be rooted yet?

Last Updated:

1. kcdale99

kcdale99 New Member This Topic's Starter

I have tried searching for this, but there is a lot of noise still about the original 1.5 root to allow 2.1 leak to be installed back in March.

My Eris ran stock 1.5, and then received the 2.1 OTA. I would love the ability to tether for an upcoming vacation, but it seems I need to root.

Is there a 2.1 rooted yet? I assume I would have to go back to 1.5 stock, then install the 2.1 root, but I haven't been able to find out if it is public yet.

If this isn't possible, is there a free or paid app that I can tether over wifi without rooting on 2.1 (Verizon)?

Thanks in Advanced!

Advertisement
  2. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

2.1 leak....no
    2.1 OTA....yes

3. copestag

copestag Well-Known Member

pdanet tethers just fine without root

kcdale99 likes this.
  4. msjulie

msjulie Well-Known Member

My OTA 2.1 is rooted, hints from this forum and rom from xda.

5. kcdale99

kcdale99 New Member This Topic's Starter

I was hoping to wifi tether, but if I need to use the USB cable and not have to root or pay I am happy with that.

Thanks!

6. psiclist

psiclist Member

I'm new to android as of 2 days ago. What do you all mean by root? Is my phone rooted? I updated to 2.1 via the update function. Will my phone be cheering me on when it is rooting? thanks. :rolleyes:

7. JrzDroid

JrzDroid Well-Known Member

i wasn't sure but sweet

8. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

You can root your phone using the available methods detailed here and at XDA.

9. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

Rooting is not difficult and you have everything to gain from doing so. You can just follow the basic instructions from the Eris Root Section guide, and you can put a 2.1 copy on your phone with all of the things you have now, except that you can make your phone run much faster and add things such as wifi tethering.

Follow this link.
    http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/45242-rooting-q.html

10. psiclist

psiclist Member

Follow this link.

Thanks for that. I did read that, and since I am new to this OS, I am going to wait until I am more knowledgeable before diving in.

11. TornWizard

TornWizard Active Member

good choice

12. sk842018

sk842018 Member

Please help can't get usb to update in device manager,I'm on viesta and htc sync wnt help either

13. TornWizard

TornWizard Active Member

What??

14. sk842018

sk842018 Member

Trying to root eris but when i have to update driver in device manager it keeps saying windows could not find driver, i browse and select it but still wont update

15. hallstevenson

hallstevenson Well-Known Member

Run "SDK Setup" and just tell it to update EVERYTHING. Better safe than sorry...

Follow the guide instructions step-by-step. Don't skip anything and don't assume you can do something different than listed.

16. CTizzle

CTizzle New Member

Sooooo is there a way to root the stock eris 2.1 yet?? I originally rooted my eris 1.5 but then downgraded back to 1.5 to receive the official 2.1 update from verizon... so now i am wanting to root my 2.1. Thanks :)

17. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

If you had 2.1 installed over the air, you use the same procedure as if you were still on 1.5 - it works just as well. If you installed a leaked ROM, or if you were sent a replacement Eris in the last week or so with 2.1 preinstalled, you may be out of luck until somebody gets root.

18. CTizzle

CTizzle New Member

Thanks that really helps a lot...

19. pilotjp

pilotjp New Member

Did anyone find out yet if a stock Droid Eris 2.1 can be rooted? Do you just use the old method on this forum?

20. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

No, it's now far easier. There are two easy methods:

- install the Eris 1-click root app in the market. Run the app. Shut down and restart the phone (as if you were going to make another phone call.) At this point the root exploit has installed Amon_RA recovery on the phone, and you can shut down and restart in Recovery by holding down VolUp while starting the phone (usually - some phones need to hold VolDn to start HBOOT and then press VolUp when prompted to start Recovery.) After you start Recovery, you can either flash a file called rootme.zip that was put on the SD card by the 1-click app, or you can install a custom ROM. More about that later.

- Erisuser1 has an extremely well-documented procedure for rooting using an app on the market called GScript Lite and a couple of scripts. That procedure is here: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-things-root/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html

Note that the fourth post in that thread will walk you through the steps that you need to install a custom ROM of your choice. One major issue, though, is that many of the most popular custom ROMs are installed on file sharing sites like Megaupload.com or Rapidshare.com which have, in many cases, been shut down since megaupload,com was taken down by US court action last week. If there is a ROM that you need I am sure that I have a copy and can send you one by email.

- One last thing: Amon_RA recovery uses the trackball on the Eris, and some Erises do not respond when using Amon_RA. There is an alternate version that uses the hardware keys following the instructions here if that happens: http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html

21. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary Moderator

And there's a modified version of jcase's 1-click app that uses the trackball-optional Amon_RA custom recovery, too, so you could use it instead of the 1-click market app (its identical except for the replaced custom recovery). Look for "Scenario 5" in the thread mentioned above.

Cheers!

scotty85 and doogald like this.