• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can anyone make my apps a reality?

LUCARiO

Lurker
Oct 28, 2010
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to this forum, so sorry if a thread like this already exists, but I was just thinking about some apps that I would like to have for my phone, but don't yet exist on the android market, but I hit a dead end when i remembered I don't know how to code apps for the android phone :/

So I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with how to code, or if anyone wanted to make my ideas into actual apps. I have 2 ideas which are as follows

An app for anyone, but mainly uni students who follow a timetable and don't like having to manually change their phone from silent to loud every time a class starts and ends, so something that lets you enter your timetable as events and during a class, the phone goes to silent, and then off silent when the class ends, and maybe a notification appears to let the user know the changes have occurred. :D

Then this one is a little harder, but it is an app that lets you use an extension in google chrome which uses the synced google accounts to connect to your phone and make it start ringing instead of having to use a phone to call it if you cant find it, because i am currently in the situation where i can't find my android phone or my land line phone :S

cheers!

All of your requirements are on the market.

First, I've ever to use app called "Locale". The best app that automatically configures your phone settings based on "Time" or "Location" !!. (Ex: turn on wifi automatically when you are home). But the location based triggering consumes more battery. You can also configure how long the app will check current location recursively. (Ex: for less battery comsuming, you have to set the location check timeout longer).

Locale application also allows you to download the plug-in the trigger more actions. For example, tweet some status when your are home or when you are at school!

Second, I've ever use the app called "Where's my droid" but instead of using web interface, it uses SMS message. (for example, if I set "ring out" as triggering message, when I send the SMS message "ring out" to my phone, the phone will ring at MAXIMUM VOLUMN even if the sound profile are set to SILENCE/VIBRATE or not.)

It must have a web service provider to interact with the phone via web page if you want to use web interface. And you may have to pay as subscription fee (monthly/yearly). If you use HTC android phone, you can use the web service www.htcsense.com for free!. For more information, the htcsense.com service allows you to ring out, to lock, to track location (<-if you lost it) your phone via web interface.

(Check this video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yJnPtsrS1g for htcsense.com service)

Reactions: ninja_reject
Upvote 0
Yes, for set schedules always at the same time, Timeriffic works great and is free.

However, Tasker is even more powerful than mentioned above. It can read your calendar and change to silent or vibrate mode depending on certain events.

For example, I have a profile that will turn to vibrate whenever I have a meeting on my calender where the location of the meeting is "Conference Room". In Outlook, we have to add the room to book a meeting there anyway, so it's always in the calendar entries.

Tasker could also be set to cause your phone to ring with incoming SMS message if the message contains a key word or phrase, or other cues, if you lose your phone. Note that you can send text messages through the Gmail interface, so you could send a message to your phone if you lose it without needing another phone.

Upvote 0
Yes, for set schedules always at the same time, Timeriffic works great and is free.

However, Tasker is even more powerful than mentioned above. It can read your calendar and change to silent or vibrate mode depending on certain events.

For example, I have a profile that will turn to vibrate whenever I have a meeting on my calender where the location of the meeting is "Conference Room". In Outlook, we have to add the room to book a meeting there anyway, so it's always in the calendar entries.

Tasker could also be set to cause your phone to ring with incoming SMS message if the message contains a key word or phrase, or other cues, if you lose your phone. Note that you can send text messages through the Gmail interface, so you could send a message to your phone if you lose it without needing another phone.

+1

Tasker can do both. Less expensive than Locale, which often charge for plugins in addition to the app itself.

You can do just about anything with Tasker.

Steep learning curve, but well worth it.

Upvote 0
I use Tasker to do both of those on my phone. If my calendar has an event titled "work" my phone automatically goes to vibrate and turns off syncing and gps.

Also I can send a SMS to my phone and it will password lock my phone, turn media volume all the way up, play a very loud ringtone, get the GPS location of the phone and return it to the phone I sent the SMS from.

Tasker is by far the best app I have bought for Android!!

Upvote 0
ah cheers guys, the help is great.
i downloaded timeriffic, which seems to work great, ill test it out when uni starts up next week.

about the htc sense online tool, i would love to use it, but they don't support the original desire, only the desire hd, so i cant use all the features, making it a little pointless for me and what i want to use it for.

and with the paid apps, im a little reluctant to buy any of them, because i dont know how they charge for them. if anyone is from australia and has an android phone with telstra, could you tell me how they charge? is it added to my monthly bill or what?

cheers
LU

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones