• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can my rooted bricked lg g2 get a warranty?

So I bricked my phone and when ever I turn it on it goes to TWRP recovery. No way to get out of it, even factory resetting gets it back to TWRP recovery. So can I send my bricked LG G2 phone back and get a replacement even though it shows the twrp recovery when turned on? I have verizon btw.

Don't give up just yet. You have several options at your disposal. Firstly, if you have adb...

adb shell
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc bs=256 count=1 conv=notrunc
adb reboot

If you don't have adb installed, use TWRP's super kewl terminal command option. When viewing main TWRP menu, goto Advanced > Terminal Command. Make sure / is showing at the top of the screen (just above the folder list). If so, press the 'select' button in lower right corner of screen and it will open a pseudo terminal. Enter the following, being very careful to get them typed exactly right...

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota (press enter and move to next command)
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/misc bs=256 count=1 conv=notrunc

Then hit the back arrow in the extreme lower right corner until you're back at the main TWRP menu. Then choose Reboot > System.

If that doesn't work, post back with full details and we'll figure out what's needed to fix your phone. There are plenty of other options to consider with a working recovery.

Upvote 0
Don't give up just yet. You have several options at your disposal. Firstly, if you have adb...

adb shell
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota
adb reboot

If you don't have adb installed, use TWRP's super kewl terminal command option. When viewing main TWRP menu, goto Advanced > Terminal Command. Make sure / is showing at the top of the screen (just above the folder list). If so, press the 'select' button in lower right corner of screen and it will open a pseudo terminal. Enter the following, being very careful to get them typed exactly right...

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/fota (press enter and move to next command)

Then hit the back arrow in the extreme lower right corner until you're back at the main TWRP menu. Then choose Reboot > System.

If that doesn't work, post back with full details and we'll figure out what's needed to fix your phone. There are plenty of other options to consider with a working recovery.
OK Great! I am giving my phone to my friend tomorrow and he is like an expert with adb. So once I get the g2 back to stock will will there be a good chance that Verizon takes it back and let me keep the replacement they are sending me?

Upvote 0
OK Great! I am giving my phone to my friend tomorrow and he is like an expert with adb. So once I get the g2 back to stock will will there be a good chance that Verizon takes it back and let me keep the replacement they are sending me?

Or just let them know you had a temporary glitch and all is well know. Your phone is fine bro, no worries.

Upvote 0
Put it in download mode and hook it in to your computer. Use the lg upgrade tool or lg support tool to flash the update to your phone. This will get rid of root and everything, but you will be able to boot. You can get all that back

Download Mode

Hook your phone into the comuter and hold power and volume down

When the lg logo appears, release power and volume down and immediately hold volume up

Install the drivers for your phone on the computer

http://lg-support-tool.en.lo4d.com/download

There is the link for the update tool. Follow the steps and eventually you should be able to boot. Hope this was helpful! It happened to me once!

Upvote 0
Put it in download mode and hook it in to your computer. Use the lg upgrade tool or lg support tool to flash the update to your phone. This will get rid of root and everything, but you will be able to boot. You can get all that back

Download Mode

Hook your phone into the comuter and hold power and volume down

When the lg logo appears, release power and volume down and immediately hold volume up

Install the drivers for your phone on the computer

http://lg-support-tool.en.lo4d.com/download

There is the link for the update tool. Follow the steps and eventually you should be able to boot. Hope this was helpful! It happened to me once!

Well this would have helped if that other thing didn't work. Woops. Oh well! It was how I had to do it when I had entered the command and had nothing to boot to. Good luck!

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Well this would have helped if that other thing didn't work. Woops. Oh well! It was how I had to do it when I had entered the command and had nothing to boot to. Good luck!

It was sage advice man. If exiting the recovery loop doesn't work, download mode is always your friend as FNaFMasterREady4Freddy mentioned. You also have the option of adb pushing a working rom to the /sdcard and flashing via TWRP. The point is...you have options. :)

edit: op...beat me to the punch but still at minimum 2 options exist.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones