• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Can this be done: Use S3 as external GPS for S5

OK, so I'm not sure if I'm in the right area of the forum for this. I'm trying to figure out if this can be done...

I know that there exists dedicated GPS devices that can transmit to a phone, such as the Galaxy S5, over Bluetooth.

Is it possible to use the S3 as the "external" GPS and share that over Bluetooth with the S5?

OK, so here is the deal. I'd like to use my (inactivated) S3 as an mp3 player and GPS, sending the GPS to the S5 like a Garmin GPS unit would do. That way I could run the logging apps (MapMyRide, Endomondo, or Strava) on the S5 with the info from the S3.

What I've done up to this point is just use the S3 for everything but since it isn't active, I can't log the ride from MapMyRide to online until I get back to my apartment with my Wifi.

If I could use the S3 as the external GPS, I could preserve the battery on the S5, as I understand using Bluetooth on the S5 would use less battery than GPS on the S5. This way I could still then log the ride in real time on the S5 through the data.

Does any of this make sense to anyone?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones