• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Can you prevent the OTA Updates

jim1450

Sep 9, 2012
I'm rooted with ZV4, I get the update available notice when I'm on WiFi & do not want to update. I saw where you delete the zipped update file in the cache folder which I do, it still notifies me that its been downloaded & asks me if I want to reboot & install.
This is my 3rd different rooted phone on Boost & the previous 2 I was able to prevent the updates. I don't remember exactly how I did it, may have froze an app or used autostarts.
I froze Update Device & Sprint Installer but it still updates.

Anyone know how to prevent the phone from checking for and or downloading updates?

Some said they lost root & it seemed like some of those that have updated to ZV5 went back to 4.
I'm happy with my phone as is & never get throttled, I'm afraid one day they will update & fix that.

You can still root ZV5, and lol you cant run from the throttling even on ZV4, once you pass 2.5gig you'll automatically be throttle no matter what version you're on. But if you still insist on staying with ZV4, you'll need to edit your build.prop to make it look like you're on ZV5 so the update notification stops.

Upvote 0
You can still root ZV5, and lol you cant run from the throttling even on ZV4, once you pass 2.5gig you'll automatically be throttle no matter what version you're on. But if you still insist on staying with ZV4, you'll need to edit your build.prop to make it look like you're on ZV5 so the update notification stops.
Right now I go way over 2.5gb every month, almost 5gb without getting throttled.
So why not?

Upvote 0
There is a way to block the OTA update (I did this when the last update came out as there wasn't a way to root after the update at the time). However, I can't for the life of me remember what I had to do. I remember trying a few things, but obviously never posted anything about it because the only thing I can find in the forums is using FOTAKILL.apk on my previous phone (LG Venice). I cant find any trace of that apk on my F7 so I must have used a different method.

As for the data throttling - I too am not getting throttled. I went over last month and nothing ever happened... logged into my boost account and it had my usage at 0.08mb where it is always stuck. Don't know if it is something with the phone, or my account but I'd rather not have them fix it.

Upvote 0
Some said they lost root & it seemed like some of those that have updated to ZV5 went back to 4.
I'm happy with my phone as is & never get throttled, I'm afraid one day they will update & fix that.

I still am on zv4, haven't gotten around to reinstalling the stock ROM. But I get throttled. The update has nothing to do with throttling. All of that is done server side.

Upvote 0
Ive been doing these LG OTA updates for months... then all of a sudden one of these damn updates WIPED MY PHONE. Everything gone like it was a factory reset. contacts, pics, apps, everything gone. Im rather shocked. Just be careful guys!

Also they made the lock screen with the pattern have smaller dots that only appear after you touch the screen. That adds 1 extra press. I hate that.

Upvote 0
Ive been doing these LG OTA updates for months... then all of a sudden one of these damn updates WIPED MY PHONE. Everything gone like it was a factory reset. contacts, pics, apps, everything gone. Im rather shocked. Just be careful guys!

Also they made the lock screen with the pattern have smaller dots that only appear after you touch the screen. That adds 1 extra press. I hate that.

Lol OTA's never wipe data, if anything you screwed something up. Go to settings then lockscreen and unchecked hidden pattern.

Upvote 0

I have a boost n9100 After a recent update, lost SuperSU root along with data usage maxed out after 4 days into my cycle. I have only down loaded a few .jpg images but I suspect "Google auto backup" is the culprit.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones