Can you switch to a stock keyboard?Support

Last Updated:

1. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Can you switch the Incredible back to a stock keyboard and not use HTC Sense?

Advertisement
  2. bassrat68

bassrat68 Member

If you mean not having the words come up and it guessing what you are texting then Yes you can do it. I forget how exactly I did it but you can go into settings and disable all that nonsense..............:)

3. Teegunn

Teegunn Well-Known Member

Is the stock keyboard better for some reason?? I've got my portrait keyboard tweaked with comact qwerty and some other settings to where it's pretty decent. I came from a blackberry pearl where I was used to the compact qwerty and one thumb ability to text (in one had). It's harder to do this on the Inc, but I'm getting used to it. Anyway, is there any reason to want to switch to the stock android keyboard?

4. xucaen

xucaen Member

So how do I turn on the stock keyboard?

5. jayjay1122

jayjay1122 Well-Known Member

Setting -> Language & Keyboard -> Touch Input Settings -> Text Input and then uncheck Prediction or Word Completion or anything else that bothers you...

6. jayjay1122

From a different style??

Long Press in any text box and it will ask you for Input Method.

7. PetiePal

Stock as in not the Sense UI keyboard.

8. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member

u can install and use another keyboard, like the Droid X multi-touch, or swiftkey beta, but I dont think you're going to get away from the Sense UI Keyboard unless you install another keyboard to use. I'm actually not even sure what you're asking, but no, you can only use that keyboard unless you install another.

9. jayjay1122

But the SenseUI keyboard is the stock keyboard. Just as JuniorNA says, unless you installed a different keyboard, there is no other one to switch to.

10. PetiePal

I have a Motorola Droid. The stock keyboard on that one is awesome. There are some minute differences in the Sense UI keyboard that I don't like. Particularly when you use autocomplete it doesn't put a space in automatically. No way to change this.

I'd like to replace the keyboard apk with standard keyboard from Droid, or Nexus One etc. On older HTC phones you could disable Sense items, like on the Eris etc. This isn't possible on the INcredible.

11. slinky317

slinky317 Well-Known Member

I think the closest one to the stock Android keyboard that's available for the Incredible is from the Droid X. I used it, and the vibrate didn't work on it and the prediction/error correction wasn't as good as stock.

Hell, I even used Swype for a while and went back to the HTC keyboard over that.

12. jayjay1122

I gotcha now. Sorry, I'm out of ideas! :(
    Good Luck!

13. JuniorNA

JuniorNA Well-Known Member

use the droid X keyboard, its exactly what you want. Or use swiftkey beta. When you do click a word, it puts a space and also has GREAT word prediction