• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cannot connect to Kies

whenever i plug in my galaxy tab 10.1 with 3G it tries to establish a connection then tells me that it 'cannot start service on the device' then tells me to reconnect the device, which i have tried many times and doesn't work either. is there something i have done wrong, the main reason i am trying is to put music on to the tablet and to update the firmware since it cannot seem to find the 3.2 update when it looks itself.

extra info: when i plug it in it allows me to use it as a storage device and asks what i want to open it with (windows explorer etc) so i dont think its a drivers problem.

thanks in advance,
savage :)

I spent about a week being baffled with Kies not connecting to my Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi via USB. It was able to connect via WiFi, but I wanted to connect via USB in order to update from 3.2 to ICS (whenever it should come out). Apparently Kies states that the OS update can only happen through a USB connection. Believe me, I tried just about every suggestion on the web and in various forums to no avail. Ok, here's what I did to make it work:

1. Uninstall non-working Kies and rebooted (this is just out of habit because MS conditioned me for many years to do so with hardware connection errors).
2. Installed Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 and updated it with patches as recent as 4/19/12.*
3. Rebooted.
4. Install Kies (mine was 2.3.0.12035_16_4, US version).
5. Connected the Tab and waited for any driver and connection errors.
6. Lord have mercy! It connected! I was able to perform several backup operations (just for the heck of it as I was overjoyed).

*I had read from several forums to update the .NET Framework, so I initially did to 4.0 and ran through the usual progression of uninstall-reinstall Kies without success. The two consistent errors were:

*** CDC Abstract Control Model (ACM) --- Device Unplugged***
*** Cannot start service on the device ***

A Windows Update on 4/19/12 was then applied for 4.0 and this seemed to be the solution for me and perhaps it may apply in principle to you.

My Hardware:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
AMD 6 Core Processor
Tons of RAM
Galaxy Tab 10.1 WiFi

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones