• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Cannot make outgoing calls from Google Voice from car steering control.

Hi, I’m new here and my first post & looking for some help.

I recently purchased an Xtrons Android Head unit for my car (Hyundai iX35) and so far I’m happy with it.
I have created an automatic WiFi hotspot that connects via my Bluetooth when I start the car. This enables me to use live Google maps for navigation etc as well as Spotify and Tunein radio and any other app that needs WiFi.
All this is controlled by my steering controls. I can open any app by pressing the voice control steering button and asking Google to do so. I don’t even need to say “hey google” as the steering voice button is mapped to the search microphone. However, here is my problem...

If I push the voice button to make a phone call and say “Call Fred” it opens the search on Chrome, from the Head unit, and then asks who do I want to call. I repeat and it asks again who do I want to call. In other words it’s not picking up on my contacts.

Is it because it thinks the Head unit is a phone and as such there are no contacts on it? I was hoping that it would pick them up from the Bluetooth connectivity via my phone.
I can make calls by pushing the phone via the hey google method but this defeats the object of being fully hands free using the steering controls. I’d rather keep my phone in my pocket!

Incidentally if someone calls me, the caller is displayed on the Head unit and I can answer via the steering wheel. All this works ok, it’s just doing it in reverse

Would appreciate any help and assistance with this as despite much Googling, I have yet to find a solution. Thanks in advance

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones