• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

cannot reinstall stock messaging app

tomd182

Lurker
Jul 22, 2012
Hello!

After rooting my phone I uninstalled the stock Messaging app with Root Uninstaller. I made a backup of the Mms.apk file. A few days later I tried to reinstall it, but when I run it, it only says "Application not installed".

I've been searching around for hours, tried copying the backed up apk to the /system/app folder, changing permissions, rebooting, flashing various zip packages, wiping the delvik cache, etc, but still it says "Application not installed".

When I go to the /system/app folder with Super Manager, the copied apk file is displayed as Messaging(No install) ?! screenshot: hxxp://i49.tinypic.com/33zd1jb.png

I also tried with some other apks I found online but it doesn't work either.

I know I could flash the ROM, but I'd like to use that as a last resort.

Any ideas/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

After rooting my phone I uninstalled the stock Messaging app with Root Uninstaller. I made a backup of the Mms.apk file. A few days later I tried to reinstall it, but when I run it, it only says "Application not installed".

I've been searching around for hours, tried copying the backed up apk to the /system/app folder, changing permissions, rebooting, flashing various zip packages, wiping the delvik cache, etc, but still it says "Application not installed".

When I go to the /system/app folder with Super Manager, the copied apk file is displayed as Messaging(No install) ?! screenshot: hxxp://i49.tinypic.com/33zd1jb.png

I also tried with some other apks I found online but it doesn't work either.

I know I could flash the ROM, but I'd like to use that as a last resort.

Any ideas/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Hello and welcome to Android Forums tomd182! :)

Did you make a nandroid backup before making those changes?

If so, you could use that to restore your phone.

Failing that, you could just re-flash the firmware again.

Personally, I use Titanium Backup to, "freeze", my Messaging app, ( [SMS/MMS PREF...ing 4.0.3 XWLPI] ). Perhaps you also uninstalled an ancillary service as well, such as, [SMS/MMS
/APN...age 4.0.3-XWLPI].

For details of how to freeze/remove app's in rooted phones, see here.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones