• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Can't Access external SD card, cant put music on.. nothing

Just got a new Samsung Verizon Fascinate,

I Plugged it in via USB and mounted it via the status bar.
The phone showed up, and I used winamp to discover the phone,
and then place music onto it.. Every time I do this and choose to safely unmount from the computer (there is no unmount option showing up on phone)
, after the SD card is remounted to the phone, nothing that I just added is on the SD card.

Also ive taken pictures and none of them save. I downloaded a file manager that allows me to browse around the phone further than the crap default files browser but I dont have permission to make a new folder on the card and really can do anything.

ALSO, the phone randomly shuts down ad restarts occasionally. Maybe once a day.

Anyone have a clue as to what is wrong? The phone recognizes the sd card is there by showing the 14 gigs are there.. ( only 2 on the internal) But cannot do anything with it. Have not rooted yet.

After the latest update, Verizon is requiring you to install their garbage client software to access the SD. I use Dropbox or just pull the SD card to get stuff on the phone now because I refuse to install their garbage software. Hell I can't even install the software as I'm a linux user.

As far as reboots, you may have a faulty device. I would recommend you exchange for a new one.

Upvote 0
Thanks, yea I might have to do this in the case of the reboots. I agree on that Verizon software.. they are morons. Anyway, I think the problem was a faulty SD card they gave me. I put in my old 2G card and it now works fine.. SO ill have to go back and see if a new 16 or 32 works.. Hopefully this could have been part of the reboot problem too... the device not seeing the SD going back and forth maybe.

Thanks for your response!

Upvote 0
Thanks, yea I might have to do this in the case of the reboots. I agree on that Verizon software.. they are morons. Anyway, I think the problem was a faulty SD card they gave me. I put in my old 2G card and it now works fine.. SO ill have to go back and see if a new 16 or 32 works.. Hopefully this could have been part of the reboot problem too... the device not seeing the SD going back and forth maybe.

Thanks for your response!
You may want to exchange the phone while you can in case there's some flaky or intermittent hardware issue that causes the problems reading the card. At least get them to give you a new card, but try for a new phone while you're in the 30 day window.

larry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones