• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cant access music or gallery after ICS Update to Droid Bionic

Please help. I updated my Droid Bionic last night to Ice Cream Sandwich. I started the download around 6pm. By 4am, it still said "Upgrading Media Database." At this point, i took out the battery and put it back in. Seems to be working fine-ish. However, i cant access any of the pictures in my gallery or any of my music. I tried taking out the SD card and rebooting. Then powering off and putting my SD Card back in. Still nothing. I also noticed in my list of apps, there is a red outline on the top right corner of "My Music" and "My Gallery."

I have never rooted my phone. I would prefer not to do a factory reset, especially if that involved reinstalling all of my apps. Can anyone please please help me figure out how to once again access my music and photos?

One other thing i noticed is that it has taken a much longer time to charge my phone after the ICS update.

Thanks again.​

I haven't come across this exact problem yet but I need to ask you a few questions in order to try and help.

So, are you rooted? Can you plug your phone into your computer and access your stuff from there? If not then have you plugged your sd card into your computer and access the information?

If you are worried about having to redo all your apps by doing a FDR then search the market for app backup and restore or ultimate backup. I have both of them and actually after I had ICS finished all my apps automatically installed.

You might end up with the same thing happening for you, the only thing I can say is to try the other steps I mentioned and if that doesn't change things then back up all your apps and back up everything from your sd card and do an FDR. Get rid of all of your bugs right off the bat as Thom has suggested in many other threads.

Upvote 0
I was not yes able to plug it in a computer - but i did put my SD card in a different phone and was able to access all of my music/photos on the other phone.

My phone is not rooted.

Cant access = wont open and cant play music or look at any photos on any app on my phone.

Also, unrelated, but with medium use of my phone, it went from 100% battery to 50% battery in less than 2 hours. Whats the deal with that?​

Upvote 0
I asked if you were rooted only because I'm not and don't plan on doing so with this phone so if you were I would have directed you to the all things root thread. So, basically the best course of action is to do the Factory Data Reset. I know it's a pain in the butt but I promise you that it will be like a brand new phone right out of the box again.

I was impressed with how much better mine was after I did the FDR. Solved every problem I have even had. Just make sure that you have everything backed up that you want to save. Any other help in the area just hit up the threads.

Upvote 0

Stock, unrooted Droid Bionic here.

I am experiencing a the same problems. After accepting the ICS download, my phone was stuck on the same "Upgrading Media Database" message. After several hours, I too unplugged the battery. After reinserting the battery and powering up the phone said the “Upgrade was successful.” Although now I can access media files such as music, pictures, etc. My phone ringtones don’t work. In fact all I get is just vibrate. When I access the settings menu it crashes each time. So, something got messedup on the upgrade and when I pulled the battery.

FWIW, my battery usage says MEDIA is taking up the majority of the battery and I too have a hard time keeping the charge on the battery.

Upvote 0
I have been reading here and other places about media syncing taking FOREVER if someone has a lot of music, photos and video files. Most people are suggesting removing the SD card before taking the OTA because of it.

It's also possible that the poor battery life for a day or two after taking the update as well as the phone being slightly warm may be due to the media syncing once the SD card is put back in. There doesn't seem hard proof for it, but seems possible as media syncing would cause those symptoms and people have said Media seems to be the biggest battery hog.

Upvote 0
Please help. I updated my Droid Bionic last night to Ice Cream Sandwich. I started the download around 6pm. By 4am, it still said "Upgrading Media Database." At this point, i took out the battery and put it back in. Seems to be working fine-ish. However, i cant access any of the pictures in my gallery or any of my music. I tried taking out the SD card and rebooting. Then powering off and putting my SD Card back in. Still nothing. I also noticed in my list of apps, there is a red outline on the top right corner of "My Music" and "My Gallery."

I have never rooted my phone. I would prefer not to do a factory reset, especially if that involved reinstalling all of my apps. Can anyone please please help me figure out how to once again access my music and photos?

One other thing i noticed is that it has taken a much longer time to charge my phone after the ICS update.

Thanks again.

This is caused by pulling the battery in the middle of the "Upgrading Media Database" process. Only way to fix it to my knowledge is a factory data reset.

Upvote 0
This is caused by pulling the battery in the middle of the "Upgrading Media Database" process. Only way to fix it to my knowledge is a factory data reset.

Same thing happened to me. I pulled the battery after 7 hours of media updating and also couldn't access music or photos. Bit the bullet and did the factory reset. It wasn't that bad as the apps are backed up via google. If you have an oddball e-mail service provider (like fastmail, for instance) make sure you have your settings written down.
In the end the FDR wasn't as bad as I expected. It's also a great opportunity to clean house.

Reactions: Satires and doogald
Upvote 0
Thank you to everyone that posted a reply. Last night, I did a factory data reset. While extremely annoying and time consuming to reset my preferences, apps, etc... Its all in working order this morning with all of my music, photos and data restores. Motorola/Google/Verizon etc should try and figure out a way to make sure this doesnt happen again in the future.

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones