• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Can't establish a reliable data connection"

marrz

Lurker
Apr 14, 2012
I have a Samsung Galaxy Gio with Android 2.3.4. I'm on the Bell Mobility (Canada) network. I was having trouble with Market not working. It would say "Loading" for a long time and then it would say connection timed out. So I did a hard factory reset and now I can't add my google account. Every time I try this message comes up "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. I am using this phone on wifi. I know I have a good connection because I can browse. I don't have a data plan so I can't try that. I tried reset my phone again but have had the same results. Does any one know of anything that I could try? Your help is greatly appreciated.

You might want to check your router's firewall and see if port 5228 is being blocked. The Market (Google Play) uses ftp port 5228 for data transfers. IF your router is blocking it, a wifi connection will fail to get apps, but still be able to connect to the internet.

With home router's there are generally two security schemes. The first is to block incoming ports but open all outgoing. The other is to block both incoming and outgoing, except for the most common. This second one proves to be problematic if an app is looking for data on an uncommon port.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones